Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Oahu safety inspection

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oahu safety inspection

Hey everyone. Just got here from Texas and I'm looking for a shop that will be a little more lenient. I'm not trying to spend money on re tinting my windows or for a recon sticker.
Car is a 2005 CTS-V, intake, electric cut-outs, coil overs, and 5% tint on rear windows.
Help would be appreciated. Thank you
Old 03-05-2014, 01:12 AM
On The Tree

I just got here not too long ago as well. From what I have heard and experienced the tint is an absolute no go. I had some old tint that turned purple on my back glass on my car in the sig and the guy failed my inspection because of it. I was shocked because it was on the back glass, but he said that the car cannot have any tint applied to it that is darker than 35 percent.

You could probably get by with the cut outs...the guy didnt even check under my car. Intake is fine. Coilovers I've heard require a recon...the guy didnt check my suspension he just grabbed the tire and shock it to check for play, but he didnt eye my shocks and springs.

Just an FYI, apparently HI cracked down on safety inspections and now they have to take a pic of your car with an Ipad and upload it to the state...so it may be hard to find "that shop" that will let you by.

Good luck
Old 03-05-2014, 08:01 AM
TECH Regular

This is interesting news. Back in the '90s and early 2000s, it was easy to get an inspection. The tint just seems stupid! CA is the same way. Places that have the most sunny days, and you are restricted on tint. I'll be bringing my cars in July, so this will be interesting so see how it plays out. I may keep my cars registered out of state also. I haven't decided yet.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:52 PM
Teching In

i had my trans am done on base, but got hassled because of tint. my buddy had his 350z done at a place cr auto imports (after the new system). kinda sketchy place but he didnt look at the tint. his car was low too.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:22 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BDHWK
This is interesting news. Back in the '90s and early 2000s, it was easy to get an inspection. The tint just seems stupid! CA is the same way. Places that have the most sunny days, and you are restricted on tint. I'll be bringing my cars in July, so this will be interesting so see how it plays out. I may keep my cars registered out of state also. I haven't decided yet.
That's what im doing...i haven't registered my car here and don't plan to. To the op good luck but like stated before they take a pic of your car now and send it in so it may be pretty hard to find a place
Old 03-09-2014, 12:29 AM
On The Tree

yeah this is the most anti car hobby place I've ever been
Old 03-09-2014, 01:30 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1BDHWK
Not Arizona we can damn near go limo... well we can limo everything except the two front doors and windshield of course
But tinted up coupes don't really get messed with here... ride limo FTP!

Quick Reply: Oahu safety inspection