Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

different year factory heads are illegal in california if they didnt come factory...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014 | 02:37 PM
Launching!

Default different year factory heads are illegal in california if they didnt come factory...

I was looking at air resource board and found this.

"Heads
Replacement heads must be identical to the original part. Head swaps from different years, engines or makes are illegal. Aftermarket heads or valve train components that are not made to the same specifications as the original parts require an Executive Order to be legal for street use."

meaning since i have a 98 with 806 casting I cant put a 241 or 243 heads in. (doubfull smog guy will be able to tell BUT if i get sent to state ref im assuming he would know that im suppose to have 806 casting heads?

anyone run into this issue in california? I just want to cover my back and not worry.

anyone ever gotten called out by a smog tech for having 243 heads on an ls1?

side question
but is there a way for the state ref to tell if you have a tune done to your car? can the obd2 show that? b/c

"Computer Chips
Replacement computer chips must be an original equipment manufacturer part. Aftermarket computer chips must have an Executive Order to be legal for street use."

I figure a tune will fall under a computer chip.
Old 07-31-2014 | 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

AFR heads have a Carb number which make them 50 state legal if you were looking for something different. I would imagine you could run practically any head you wanted if you painted it or ground the logos off and if you wanted to do some really tricky business have someone make you an 806 casting number and weld it or epoxy it on the head. The state will not be able to tell if your car is tuned. They are looking for check engine lights and faulty emission equipment. You might need to be able to pass the smog test though. A combination of parts can be designed around this issue and you can even tune your car in such a way to pass the smog test if its on the ragged edge.
Old 07-31-2014 | 10:35 PM
TECH Addict

Another reason not to step foot in commiefornia.
Old 07-31-2014 | 11:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Man people run all kind of **** till state ref time then it's swap day. Next day swap everything back.
Old 08-01-2014 | 12:04 AM
TECH Addict

I wouldn't be concerned about using ANY compatible GM head. The fact is, they were factory authorized and authorized by CA when new and the odds they'll know the difference... basically zero unless they take it apart. That's a bunch like work they're not likely to ever do. Besides, if they do the work and figure it out, what's the penalty? If there's no penalty, there's no crime. You'd win any fight too, based on the simple fact GM used them and CA approved them. Sure, they could take you to the mat on it, but figure the odds and build a better engine.

Finally, you could play stupid right off... You could ask them, "How would I have known? These are GM built heads, right? They look like every other cylinder head while installed and I don't know how to take it apart and if I did, how can I tell?" Just don't use engine terms like LS or 243's in the process!

Originally Posted by blk00ss
(Can I get a) A-men! I've said it a hundred times... I didn't leave anything when last I left and if I did, they can keep it! CA and VA are the two states I'll never choose to live in regardless. The most puzzling thing is, the same people keep being chosen to run the place... DUH!
Old 08-01-2014 | 12:27 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ls1ya
Man people run all kind of **** till state ref time then it's swap day. Next day swap everything back.
ya but thats not really something i want to be involve with. its one thing to remove bolt on stuff but taking off heads... just for the ref. (although chances are low ive been driving modded for 10+ years and have been lucky)

Originally Posted by It'llrun
I wouldn't be concerned about using ANY compatible GM head. The fact is, they were factory authorized and authorized by CA when new and the odds they'll know the difference... basically zero unless they take it apart. That's a bunch like work they're not likely to ever do. Besides, if they do the work and figure it out, what's the penalty? If there's no penalty, there's no crime. You'd win any fight too, based on the simple fact GM used them and CA approved them. Sure, they could take you to the mat on it, but figure the odds and build a better engine.

Finally, you could play stupid right off... You could ask them, "How would I have known? These are GM built heads, right? They look like every other cylinder head while installed and I don't know how to take it apart and if I did, how can I tell?" Just don't use engine terms like LS or 243's in the process!

(Can I get a) A-men! I've said it a hundred times... I didn't leave anything when last I left and if I did, they can keep it! CA and VA are the two states I'll never choose to live in regardless. The most puzzling thing is, the same people keep being chosen to run the place... DUH!
The odd is definitely on my side. cops here hardly bother domestic cars to begin with so the chances of me getting sent to ref vs a fix it is really small.
but there is a chance. ^^^ typing that makes me want to say screw it and mod crazy and not worry about smog stuff lol

I may just dump a 243 on there.

ive never been to a state ref so I dont know how technical they can get.

aside from smog stuff I really like cali. I have nothing else to complain about. well besides rush hour traffic lol
Old 08-01-2014 | 12:32 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Always2Slow
AFR heads have a Carb number which make them 50 state legal if you were looking for something different. I would imagine you could run practically any head you wanted if you painted it or ground the logos off and if you wanted to do some really tricky business have someone make you an 806 casting number and weld it or epoxy it on the head. The state will not be able to tell if your car is tuned. They are looking for check engine lights and faulty emission equipment. You might need to be able to pass the smog test though. A combination of parts can be designed around this issue and you can even tune your car in such a way to pass the smog test if its on the ragged edge.
a bit too much money for what im after.

how do I go about making a casting?
since I would only need one(driver side) since passenger side is hidden.

only thing I can think of is buy a trash 806 heads(which would be like free) cut the casting and weld/epoxy onto the 243.
Old 08-01-2014 | 03:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

They won't care or notice. They see hundreds of different makes and models over the years no way they'll know what's going on if it's a factory casting from any year.
Old 08-01-2014 | 12:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by james562
They won't care or notice. They see hundreds of different makes and models over the years no way they'll know what's going on if it's a factory casting from any year.
True that. I decided to just go with 243 heads with mild hand porting/clean up.

Btw anyone know about throttle body? I found a setup that uses 92tb. Manifold looks stock. But was wondering if tb needs a carb number too.?

And are tb spacers legal?
Old 08-01-2014 | 06:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS325ci
aside from smog stuff I really like cali. I have nothing else to complain about. well besides rush hour traffic lol
Cost of living is HORRENDOUS in CA. Florida is no great deal, but CA is just unreal.

True that. I decided to just go with 243 heads with mild hand porting/clean up.
Those will work nicely.

Btw anyone know about throttle body? I found a setup that uses 92tb. Manifold looks stock. But was wondering if tb needs a carb number too.?

And are tb spacers legal?
I'm pretty sure any of those parts will need a CARB number, but most have one anyway. Back when all this stuff became an issue(early 90's), parts were advertised heavily if they had one and I used some. By and large, I didn't care though and just rolled with it. My cars were dyno'd over and over by the state till they dropped that money-wasting scam and ALWAYS passed.
Old 08-01-2014 | 06:10 PM
TECH Junkie
15 Year Member

grow a pair and put what ever head you want to on it !

those Homos in Cali wouldn't know the difference
Old 08-01-2014 | 07:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by madmike9396
grow a pair and put what ever head you want to on it !

those Homos in Cali wouldn't know the difference
lol not about growing a pair. its more of a time/hassle thing.
if I can set up a car with 380-400whp with 100% compliant to smog id be happy. Id give up that extra 50whp or so you gain from illegal mods.

yes you are correct majority of the cops/smog wont know but all it takes is 1 to get sent to state ref.

Cost of living is HORRENDOUS in CA. Florida is no great deal, but CA is just unreal.

Those will work nicely.

I'm pretty sure any of those parts will need a CARB number, but most have one anyway. Back when all this stuff became an issue(early 90's), parts were advertised heavily if they had one and I used some. By and large, I didn't care though and just rolled with it. My cars were dyno'd over and over by the state till they dropped that money-wasting scam and ALWAYS passed.
lol ya but once im done with school i doubt it will be a concern for me.
My sis used to trip about that too but after she started working as an engineer she hasnt mentioned any money concern lol

the manifold is a fast 92 looks stock since its debadge and all. the tb though is a bit of a concern but will see im still considering running ls6 intake w/ stock ported tb if i cant pick those up.

they have smog in fl? i thought they didnt.
Old 08-01-2014 | 09:30 PM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

The cylinder heads refer mainly to the older heads that had EGR tubes and ports that attached to the head. Like the Ford and the Pontiac engines.

On a stock LS1 engine of the 97-04 you wouldn't really notice the difference. Especially in the emissions dept.

As far as the tune goes they really don't have a way to tell per say. They can check CVN numbers and the VIN number to see if it was modified or for a different vehicle, But they can't really open the software and break it down.

Where they are going to get you is if you removed the Air Injection, EGR system, Catalytic converters or if you replaced the exhaust manifolds with long tube headers. Only shorty headers with a CARB EO number are legal in the state of CA. Same with the Intake manifold and the Air filtration system.
Old 08-01-2014 | 10:39 PM
TECH Addict

Don't stick with a stock intake or TB with those heads... it's like clogging the vacuum cleaner and continuing to use it...

Fl doesn't have any emissions testing anymore... had it for a long time and talked about getting rid of it the whole while... finally did. It's hard to remember, but as I recall, it began in the 80's(when we dropped annual safety inspections) and ran until 99 or 00.
Old 08-02-2014 | 02:46 AM
On The Tree

241s and an LS6 intake would make it an 01/02 engine swapp technically wouldnt it? Same black and internal parts arent they?
Old 08-02-2014 | 04:18 AM
TECH Addict

ya but thats not really something i want to be involve with. its one thing to remove bolt on stuff but taking off heads... just for the ref. (although chances are low ive been driving modded for 10+ years and have been lucky)

The odd is definitely on my side. cops here hardly bother domestic cars to begin with so the chances of me getting sent to ref vs a fix it is really small.
but there is a chance. ^^^ typing that makes me want to say screw it and mod crazy and not worry about smog stuff lol

I may just dump a 243 on there.

ive never been to a state ref so I dont know how technical they can get.

How about Diane Feinstein for starters? Why do you hate freedom so much?
Old 08-02-2014 | 04:43 AM
Launching!

No one here gives a **** what someone from AL thinks
Old 08-02-2014 | 06:06 AM
Launching!

How about Diane Feinstein for starters? Why do you hate freedom so much?
lol i dont even know what your talking about. if you want to talk about politics or where the best place to live is im sure we have a misc. forum.

all im saying is... i like it here and cali has been good to me. peoples issue with cali is their biz. not mine.
its not for everyone.

anyways back on topic.

Don't stick with a stock intake or TB with those heads... it's like clogging the vacuum cleaner and continuing to use it...

I dont plan to, original plan was ls6 intake. but i may be able to pick up a fast 92.

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
The cylinder heads refer mainly to the older heads that had EGR tubes and ports that attached to the head. Like the Ford and the Pontiac engines.

On a stock LS1 engine of the 97-04 you wouldn't really notice the difference. Especially in the emissions dept.

As far as the tune goes they really don't have a way to tell per say. They can check CVN numbers and the VIN number to see if it was modified or for a different vehicle, But they can't really open the software and break it down.

Where they are going to get you is if you removed the Air Injection, EGR system, Catalytic converters or if you replaced the exhaust manifolds with long tube headers. Only shorty headers with a CARB EO number are legal in the state of CA. Same with the Intake manifold and the Air filtration system.
thanks for the info. ya i have no plans on removing the smog stuff. but yes im planning on carb eo shorty. but i cant seem to find them at the moment.
Old 08-02-2014 | 08:48 AM
TECH Addict

I dont plan to, original plan was ls6 intake. but i may be able to pick up a fast 92.
That will work.

thanks for the info. ya i have no plans on removing the smog stuff. but yes im planning on carb eo shorty. but i cant seem to find them at the moment.
Idonno about emissions stuff left in place. To me, it simply wastes fuel anyway. I get the concern, particularly with the air ****'s in your state.

Originally Posted by fspeedster
No one here gives a **** what someone from AL thinks
C'mon now... Have you ever even been out of CA? Have you been to Alabama? I'll give CA credit for great weather in the south, great mountains(Sierra Nevada) in the north and millions of generally good people, many of whom actually work. Still, it's run by morons and sadly, the rest of you simply won't change that. You could, but you won't. The rest of the country has been wondering why, that I know of, for 30yrs now. High taxes, higher cost of living than most of America(all of America, except some specific cities). Alabama also has great weather and is easily within reach of great mountains(Appalachian)... but... Except Birmingham and during rush hour in Mobile, Alabama is laid back and generally a fine place to be which happens to cost thousands less per yr to live in. Back to the conversation...

Quick Reply: different year factory heads are illegal in california if they didnt come factory...