Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Jegs/Summit won't ship to CA anymore?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Jegs/Summit won't ship to CA anymore?

Hey guys, been trying to get some headers for my buddies LT1 car but nobody will ship to CA anymore. Called jegs and summit, told them both that the car isn't registered and only sees the track, but they claimed they can't verify that and still denied the order. How are you other CA guys getting your parts now? This has to be a new thing, I ordered heads from summit last year with no issues.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:42 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts

There are many other companies like us that sell them. i even have a sale thread out about the lt1 mac headers. what were you looking for?
Old 07-15-2017, 12:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

What is the reasoning for not shipping to California ?
Old 07-15-2017, 03:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,786 Likes on 1,293 Posts

I've heard you can be failed if you deviate from the stock components. If that's so is installing a catch can a cause for one to fail now? Catch cans are good way to keep oil out of your air/fuel system and that's a good thing when it comes to burning cleaner and making power.

So now headers are a no! no! on a STREET LEGAL car in California and you must stick to the factory exhaust manifold? We've all seen cars out there emitting poor or excessive emissions and this is their way to cut down on the emissions.

The more a gasoline engine can breath in the more power it can make and more power means more emissions and your car was designed to emit a certain amount that. I see no problem with someone wanting to make more horsepower in their cars even if you do pollute a little more but some people in political power don't see the same way as others!
Old 07-15-2017, 03:56 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

That is not correct.

There is a delicate balance to what a car emits AND what the gov considers Greenhouse gasses and what are harmful to the environment. That doesnt mean the more an engine breathes in the more emissions it makes.
Old 07-15-2017, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

It's because CA. wants complete control over everything and everybody including your money. There are counties here that do not have bi-annual smog inspections but you still can't have a K&N filter without a C.A.R.B. sticker on your car. Cops and CHP routinely send ricers to smog referees because they got caught with something under their hood that big brother doesn't approve of.
Old 07-15-2017, 04:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by 64post
It's because CA. wants complete control over everything and everybody including your money. There are counties here that do not have bi-annual smog inspections but you still can't have a K&N filter without a C.A.R.B. sticker on your car. Cops and CHP routinely send ricers to smog referees because they got caught with something under their hood that big brother doesn't approve of.
Unreal.....I guess I was wondering why Jegs or summit care? If people will buy it in California why not ship there? Or were they told they can't ?

Here in Minnesota we have all the libs Cal has but we have zero emissions testing which is way nice.
Old 07-15-2017, 04:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,786 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
That is not correct.

There is a delicate balance to what a car emits AND what the gov considers Greenhouse gasses and what are harmful to the environment. That doesnt mean the more an engine breathes in the more emissions it makes.
I tend to disagree with you at times but that's what is great about this country. We are entitled to our own opinion. Maybe your just not seeing it the same way I do. Let me put it this way. There are street legal cars that make a ton of power that emit more emissions then say a 4 cyl Malibu. My 5.7L 2001 Camaro with its 325hp LS1 produced less emissions than the 7.0L LSX sitting in it now.
Old 07-15-2017, 04:24 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Emissions are not related in that way. If you run higher cyl temps for a reason, the NOx will go up, but CO2 will go down. Those are the 2 most important gasses released from emissions. They are also changed via catalytic converters.

What I am stating is science, yours is opinion. You can make both of them create the same emissions.

Cars are not tested at wide open throttle for emissions. Can you guess why?

Of course taking that cat/s off any vehicle will make it flunk any test. 4 cyl or not. That would be both visual and sniffer.

You can make power, run cats, and still be within emissions spec, whether NA or supercharged. We have put together many combos that do exactly that.
Old 07-15-2017, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks ws6 store. Need some 1 3/4 LT's for a 94 formula. I'll give you a call soon
Old 07-17-2017, 11:30 AM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

You should be able to ship them if its for a older car...you can say you are putting it in a 76' or older vehicle with that motor.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:23 PM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

If I had to live in Cali I would keep stock manifolds and get some adapters like shown below to hang twin turbos, throw some high flow cats behind the turbos and some straight 3" mufflers call it a day. Quietly cruise around with 800+hp!

Old 07-19-2017, 03:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Long tube headers are not emission compliant for any car in Calif that has CATS

The headers the OP wants are likely not "50 state legal" or "CARB" approved so a retailer can not ship to Calif because of that

Same thing with gun magazines larger than 10 rounds. Seller can not ship a 30 round magazine to Calif because of Calif gun law

I suspect the non emission compliant (for the vehicle they are intended for) headers can't be shipped to CA
Old 07-19-2017, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

California has issued statements to larger automotive supply company's to not ship any non C.A.R.B. approved intake or exhaust regardless of what you're putting it on.

The California C.A.R.B. Program is a joke though... A company that wants to provide an exhaust system for a car must first come up with a design that does not move or modify any part of the vehicles emissions equipment in any way (so generally no long tube or mid tube headers, although since the LT has the cat further back there are LT mid tube headers cali legal) and then they have to lobby with the C.A.R.B. (lots of $) to get their system tested, and once tested and passed will it be issued a C.A.R.B. ID.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:05 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
That is not correct.

What is logical and what is legal are often at odds.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:14 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

The funny part is with a 187-190* t stat to intentionally run hotter and "make the engine more efficient" it raised combustion temps and makes even more NOx gasses which are way more harmful than CO2. basically the epa says an engine is running its best when making th most harmful greenhouse and environmental gas.
The catalytic converter only cleans all that up at part throttle. At wide open the cat doesnt work anymore so all those bad gasses eacape as is.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:47 PM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

That is weird because I had a friend ship his and my headers LT'S from Summit....he simply said it was going on a older car etc etc this is 2 1/2yrs ago or so, so maybe it is diff now?

Quick Reply: Jegs/Summit won't ship to CA anymore?