Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

got state refed

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default got state refed

pulling into panda express going 10mph this ****er cop pulled me over for supposidly having heard me from far away and for a no front lp...and from there thats were it all began.. got me for 1st no license plate.
2 loud exhaust.
3 removal of emissions
4 no carb sticker for cai.

my question is when going to a state ref.. does he look at ur pcm to see if u have a tune or if your oxygen sensors are turned off etc?
Old 05-02-2019, 12:39 PM
Launching!

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts

Wow! You need to move.. The first one isn't needed here in SC. The other 3 will get you a thumbs up from the local Police here in SC.

Originally Posted by xdanny510x
pulling into panda express going 10mph this ****er cop pulled me over for supposidly having heard me from far away and for a no front lp...and from there thats were it all began.. got me for 1st no license plate.
2 loud exhaust.
3 removal of emissions

my question is when going to a state ref.. does he look at ur pcm to see if u have a tune or if your oxygen sensors are turned off etc?
Old 05-02-2019, 02:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 412 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by xdanny510x
2 loud exhaust.
3 removal of emissions

They can not See inside the ECM only what son the surface. They look at the Operating System and the Callibration ID number and compare them to a data base of know factory Calibrations. Prior to around 05 - 06 Gm didnt keep the best records.

As long as you don't have a custom OS You should be fine.

The emmisions stuff needs to be inplace for the Visual part of the inspection.

As for the CAI, If it's a cheap one, Ditch for a CARB approved unit and atleast keep the sticker in the car. It supposed to be affixed to the car under the hood.

As Dumb as it may seem, put the stupid plate on the front. Its required by LAW in CA and they will use it as an excuse to pull you over and site you for other things.

Also I am Fairly certin you can refuse to pop the hood. They are on a fishing expedition. They will try and scare you into opening the hood but they can't impound the vehicle for minor infractions or because they feel like it. If your vehicle is current registered and inssured and for the most part complies with the laws They have no reason to take the vehicle. assuming of course you have a valid current license. They used the plate to pull you over. If there is nothing Else in plain site, They have no probable cause to search the vehicle. They can call the Exhaust loud all they want. They need to be able to prove it though and the new law has testing requirement for this. I know of 2 people now that have challanged the officer at the scene and they both beat the rap and where under the legal testing limit.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
They can not See inside the ECM only what son the surface. They look at the Operating System and the Callibration ID number and compare them to a data base of know factory Calibrations. Prior to around 05 - 06 Gm didnt keep the best records.

As long as you don't have a custom OS You should be fine.

The emmisions stuff needs to be inplace for the Visual part of the inspection.

As for the CAI, If it's a cheap one, Ditch for a CARB approved unit and atleast keep the sticker in the car. It supposed to be affixed to the car under the hood.

As Dumb as it may seem, put the stupid plate on the front. Its required by LAW in CA and they will use it as an excuse to pull you over and site you for other things.

Also I am Fairly certin you can refuse to pop the hood. They are on a fishing expedition. They will try and scare you into opening the hood but they can't impound the vehicle for minor infractions or because they feel like it. If your vehicle is current registered and inssured and for the most part complies with the laws They have no reason to take the vehicle. assuming of course you have a valid current license. They used the plate to pull you over. If there is nothing Else in plain site, They have no probable cause to search the vehicle. They can call the Exhaust loud all they want. They need to be able to prove it though and the new law has testing requirement for this. I know of 2 people now that have challanged the officer at the scene and they both beat the rap and where under the legal testing limit.
because cop made me pop my hood with no cause... all he said was my exhaust is loud.. then was like pop ur hood and dont lie to me and looked and asked me for my carb stickers and the cai isnt a cheap one its a roto fab
Old 05-03-2019, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I got state reffed years back. Use to have true duals dumped. Cop was in a parking lot with other cops. They were like yea we heard you blocks away & waited. "Sounded like a Nascar was coming our way" Played dumb saying car came like that etc etc. Wasn't having it. Wrote me the ticket. Ended up just paying $700 fine & that was that. But now I don't know what they do? Are you allowed to just pay a fine & be done with it or do you literally have to go back stock
Old 05-03-2019, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I posted a bunch of post about This subject I just paid the rockets and that was it
I don’t know if it’s changed now with that new emissions law but you’re innocent Until proven guilty so just pay the fine unless they said dmv will flag your car
Old 05-03-2019, 10:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Remember that in the end, they are enforcing a Federal Law Not state, YES they can make you open the hood, check the FED DOT rules, They can totally spot check for emissions.. if they can spot a single thing that implies your emissions are not on par they can take the car, yes you might eventually win in court,, by then the car will be a ball of rust and you'll have lost your license due to old age..

Google up judge and illegal tail-lights... There is a Loooong sordid story about a state judge pulling the license off a car because she didn't like the tail lights,, the guy has been fighting it for a few years never did hear the outcome.. They were STOCK dot approved Camaro taillights too.. But she has ruled they are too bright at night and he's was waiting for a federal hearing..

Don't poke the bear,,, you are chewy and taste good with Ketchup.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
Remember that in the end, they are enforcing a Federal Law Not state
Are you sure about that? I know in the past California had it's own emission standards and that was on top of the Federal standards.
In the Midwest we always knew where a car was originally from if it had the California emission package.

Greenhouse gases. As of 2007, the California Air Resources Board passed strict greenhouse gas emission standards which are being challenged in the courts. On September 12, 2007, a judge in Vermont ruled in favor of allowing states to conditionally regulate greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from new cars and trucks,...

Last edited by LLLosingit; 05-03-2019 at 11:53 PM.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
Are you sure about that? I know in the past California had it's own emission standards and that was on top of the Federal standards.
In the Midwest we always knew where a car was originally from if it had the California emission package.

Greenhouse gases. As of 2007, the California Air Resources Board passed strict greenhouse gas emission standards which are being challenged in the courts. On September 12, 2007, a judge in Vermont ruled in favor of allowing states to conditionally regulate greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from new cars and trucks,...
The states can add to the law no doubt about it,, But the federal law is the minimum
and its the one that carb actually is enforcing,, with the California sauce on it..
Removing a cat is against the federal EPA laws, which we get away with in some
states mostly because the state has chosen not to enforce the rule
and the feds don't actually have much of an inspection division for it.

I got a warning ticket years ago when I had to cross a scale with a 2 ton
truck and a utility trailer,got tagged for a non conforming carb and no air pump..
It was a federal DOT inspector that wrote me up. Oregon doesn't Ack
CARB as the final rule, for many things we have to adhere to the federal rules, in
many ways we have worst Emissions rules than CA ,, luckily we only have
inspections for the Metropolitan areas.
And with OBDII/III they are actually lightening up on older vehicles..
Only thing constant is change.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

You can, or could, just wait for the ticket to be posted and just pay the fine, but the last instance of that happening on here and was pretty well documented and the fine totaled to about $1600. I just sold my '09 690 RWHP & 630 RWTQ Cadi CTS-V & bought my old turbo Buick back For most of the above noted reasons. This is not Disneyland after dark, it is the PROK.
Old 08-22-2019, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what happens if your hood latch doesn't work? would they just let it go?
Old 08-22-2019, 11:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
what happens if your hood latch doesn't work? would they just let it go?
They’ll think you’re bullshitting
and give you a hard time about it depends how they feel that day
Old 08-26-2019, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i'm thinking of just removing the handle and say the crappy muffler shop (that made my car sound so loud and lopey) broke it