Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Strange Police Behavior

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 02:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR
Oh, please.

Traffic enforcement has the highest mortality rate of any of the job duties performed by police. The CHP do it all day long.
lol the CHP do what all day long? drug busts, domestic violence calls, homicides? ....NOPE they do TR's and tickets
Old 07-16-2005, 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bottom line with cops is this:

Pompous ****** that think they are above the law. Never there when you need 'em, always there when you don't. Stop me when I lie.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z28SkillZ
lol the CHP do what all day long? drug busts, domestic violence calls, homicides? ....NOPE they do TR's and tickets
Well, you've got it all figured out. That's all they do, plus harrass you guys.

Drug busts? Yep. Most drugs are transported via automobile across the interstates. That's why they have drug dogs, a narcotics enforcement program and a record of drug siezure larger than ANY other agency, including the DEA.

Doestic Violence? Yep. Happens very frequently where the fight ends up on the highway. In rural areas, the CHP (or any state trooper/highway patrolman in other states) assists and responds to calls normally handled by the sheriff or local police. Officers of the CHP have the same police powers as any other officer in this state.

Homicides? Yep. Who do you think investigates the recent freeway shootings?

If you look up how officers throughout the state were mortally wounded on the job, you'll find a large percentage of them were victims of a traffic-related enforcement action.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:13 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
SS MPSTR, you sound like a chippy

I've received tickets for 60 in a 55 (before the 65 mph had been raised) and I've also been pulled over on the fwy by CHP, LAPD, Sherriff, and under covers. So general rule is any law enforcement officer can pull you over, they will more than likely call for a CHP to come and actually write the ticket though ask me how I know

D
I can assure you I'm not, but this is an argument I love.

You're right though...any LEO can stop you anywhere. In fact, you have to yeild to the orders of an off-duty cop once he identifies himself to you. A PD's jurisdiction does not limit their ability to cite you on an interstate. Why they call the CHP to write the cite in some cases probably is varied, but doesn't happen all that often. When it does, it has more to do with court jurisdiction and availability. in the courts eye, it doesn't matter who writes the ticket...the PD or Sheriff will serve as a credible witness should you contest the cite. The fines are the same, as are the points on your record.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:17 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 9silverbird8
Bottom line with cops is this:

Pompous ****** that think they are above the law. Never there when you need 'em, always there when you don't. Stop me when I lie.
That's your opinion and you're certainly entitled to it.

Everyone hates a cop until they need one.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:40 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR
Officers of the CHP have the same police powers as any other officer in this state.
Sort of...

Municipal police officers are 830.1 PC (police powers 24/7 365 anywhere in CA)
CHP is covered under 830.2 PC (similar with special provisions to cover specific authority granted in 830.1 PC)

I also agree that CHP does handle some of the things we do...

We still jokingly use CHP = Can't Handle Police (work)

When it comes down to it, they back us and we back them, and I really don't see any difference other than just when we are joking around.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:28 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Azrael
Municipal police officers are 830.1 PC (police powers 24/7 365 anywhere in CA)
CHP is covered under 830.2 PC (similar with special provisions to cover specific authority granted in 830.1 PC)
Thanks for clearing up the specific PC sections, although the difference is hardly worth mentioning because in precedental case law, the courts have often overlooked the statutory provisions and applied 830.1 PC to state officers.

And I agree...you folks are all on the same team, and I appreciate the dedication and hard work you guys do.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's good that some guys are educated about this subject. Thanx for the info. As far as being stop by the Pigs, well I been lucky so far. I've woken up a cop sleeping while passing down a street. The only thing he did was screamed and cussed me out. Lucky me! Also I was messing around w/a Subaru and I got pulled over. I told him I was just trying to get out of his way. Again.. Got away with it. Loud exhaust, Looking suspicious and apparently my plates ranned up for a warrant. Ofcourse a mistake. Oh yea on the San Pedro freeway, all the lanes merged into one lane and a car (mustang) didn't slow down and hit all the cars in back of me. Luckily I got out of the way by going into the carpool lane. The CHP went after me thinking I was the car who cause the accident. I got a alcohol test and they inspected my car for illegal ****. Till this day I ask myself what the fudge? Many more to share but my advice to everyone is be careful and keep your eyes open for the Pigs. Thanx!

Quick Reply: Strange Police Behavior