Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Strange Police Behavior

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 12:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Strange Police Behavior

The other night I was driving up the 2 north merging onto the 210 east. When I was nearing my exit (Gould Ave.) I noticed a car coming up VERY fast. As I was just about approaching the area where the dotted lines ended on the offramp. The car pulled up next to me and put on his brakes hard. I looked over and it was CHP. He didn't turn on his lights or follow me up the off ramp. Granted at this point he would of had to back up. But then he just took off. If I picked him up coming onto the 210 he might have seen me doing about 75mph, nothing extreme. Granted this was over the limit. By the time he had gotten next to me I was probably doing about 50mph on the offramp. Has anyone else ever had this happen to them before? I can't figure out if I just barely avoided being pulled over or he just wanted me to know he was there. I guess for now I will just consider myself lucky.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was hauling a trailer the other week and a CHP was going about 80 in the fast lane while I was doing 55 in the middle lane. He had a clear road ahead of him but instead slowed down to 55 right next to my trailer. I looked in my mirror and it was looking curiously at my trailer(flatbed). I kinda think he was making sure everything was strapped down and nothing was sticking out, or he was admiring the nice red powdercoat on the items I was hauling. He sped off after crusing next to the trailer for about 20 seconds.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:37 AM
Staging Lane

Piggs Just Being Piggs.............
Old 07-13-2005, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

^lol Ain't that the truth. CHP are the biggest dicks 90% of the time.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by strokedls1
^lol Ain't that the truth. CHP are the biggest dicks 90% of the time.
Uncalled for..who ya gonna call when someone sideswipes your car..steals your car etc....

I ride motorcycles and everytime one of my friends has gone down.....we get a vist frm CHP.....
I got no beef with the CHiP's....they do a good job..for people who don give them a secnd thought..
Old 07-13-2005, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anytime I've ever needed their help they refused. I got wheels stolen a couple weeks ago and the police could care less. My buddy got rearended by a drunk driver in ski boots and they didn't seem too care much. Maybe your experiences are different but most of the ones I run into are way to cocky and not friendly. Just my .02c
Old 07-13-2005, 05:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Yup, taht just sounds like he was letting you know he was there. BTW, have you noticed the amount of Camaro CHPs on the 210 lately? I've seen them on the 101 in Lost Hills and on the 15, but recently I've been seeing them on the 210 between Pasadena and the 118.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
Yup, taht just sounds like he was letting you know he was there. BTW, have you noticed the amount of Camaro CHPs on the 210 lately? I've seen them on the 101 in Lost Hills and on the 15, but recently I've been seeing them on the 210 between Pasadena and the 118.
I have seen one out on the 210 East out towards Fontana before. But never over here. I know there is a nice strech of freeway on the 210 W before you get to the 118. Guess they know its there now too.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

i live right at the 2 and 210 and i have yet to see any CHP camaros, but i did get pulled over by a female chipie bout 4 or 5 months ago, she was pretty cool though.

The CHPie was just letting you know he was there, probably on the way to a call, ive had them stare me down before and they didnt pull me over.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by vilkata
I have seen one out on the 210 East out towards Fontana before. But never over here. I know there is a nice strech of freeway on the 210 W before you get to the 118. Guess they know its there now too.
Yup, it used to be a nice empty stretch, but it sucks during commuting hours now. That's where they used to film CHiPs, back in the 70s/80s.

By the way, I've seen several CHP Camaros (shall we call them ChipMaros? ) without light bars, so watch out if a white LS1 bodied Camaro is coming up on your ***. They've all had decals on the doors so far.

D
Old 07-14-2005, 12:24 PM
Launching!

I would bet that he was trying to catch up to you so he could get a real good "pace" on your speed. Things didn't work out so cleanly for him, so he just decided to make his presence noticed to you instead. They do that crap all day long.

Tip:
Always keep an eye out in you rear view mirror for anything that seems to be Jockeying around traffic to get fairly close to you. Some chippies don't look like chippies, expeditions, f150's, camaros... etc. They are waiting for you to slip up and not notice so they can get a real clean "pace" on you. This is the way that most cops verify your speeding to the courts, it is their strongest case against you. Radar/Laser and visual observation methods aren't really used as often as people think in the populated portions of So-Cal.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:37 PM
TECH Junkie

This is so very true.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:55 PM
TECH Resident

I once had a Red VW something do exactly what BlackHawk was talking about. I figured, it can't be a cop, its a VW!
Old 07-14-2005, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

a few months ago comming back from school me and a buddy kept passing each other, doing about 80 in a 65 on the highway, when i saw the crown vic hidden behind a overpass, i quickly got in the slow lane and so did my buddy and went to the nearest exit, the cop caught up to our left side for a second and then kept going while we got off. close call heh.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:17 PM
On The Tree

CHP = Can't Handle Police
Old 07-16-2005, 06:16 AM
Staging Lane

i just got pulled over for doin 75 on a 65.... gay,
Old 07-16-2005, 08:11 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2K2B4C
CHP = Can't Handle Police
Oh, please.

Traffic enforcement has the highest mortality rate of any of the job duties performed by police. The CHP do it all day long.
Old 07-16-2005, 08:16 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by KuruptedWS6
i just got pulled over for doin 75 on a 65.... gay,
If you were speeding, get over it. If you weren't and can prove it, fight it. Simply, your word against his ain't gonna cut it if that's all you got. The state has passed down orders to the CHP to maintain zero tolerance for any type of speeding violation, and they are working areas in a concentrated manner. So if you see one pulled over on a stretch of freeway, there is likely 4-5 more in the area. The legislature is passing a message that the traffic speeds are getting out of control, and it's making the state money at the same time (not a coincidence that it is at a time when faced with a deficit).
Old 07-16-2005, 08:30 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackHawk
Tip:
Always keep an eye out in you rear view mirror for anything that seems to be Jockeying around traffic to get fairly close to you. Some chippies don't look like chippies, expeditions, f150's, camaros... etc. They are waiting for you to slip up and not notice so they can get a real clean "pace" on you. This is the way that most cops verify your speeding to the courts, it is their strongest case against you. Radar/Laser and visual observation methods aren't really used as often as people think in the populated portions of So-Cal.
The CHP uses Crown Victorias as a primary enforcement vehicle. There are some black/white Z28's used for enforcement, but the majority of the Z28's are white, which signifies commercial enforcment use. Are they used for picking up speeders in areas known for high speed violations? Absolutely, and don't think for a minute that a commercial enforcment vehicle won't stop Joe Q. Public in their C5 for a violation. The handful of trucks and SUV's (pretty rare) are used by the commercial teams. It is not their primary duty to pace traffic on the freeway.

Before the federal judiciary ruled that radar enforcement on federally funded highways was legal in CA, the CHP used pacing as a primary means of detecting your speed. Pacing is still used, because it is still considered by the courts as a reasonable means of determining excess speed. Aircraft enforcement relies on pacing to determine speed. Radar is in nearly every car in the fleet, and it is used constantly, even in the more congested areas.

Visual observation and pacing are both reasonable means used to determine excess speed, and along with electronic means (Ka band and Laser), are used in a complimentary manner as evidence to cite you.

And they are always waiting for us to 'slip up' or neglect to obey the laws of the road. It's what they are paid to do.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:41 AM
TECH Junkie

SS MPSTR, you sound like a chippy

I've received tickets for 60 in a 55 (before the 65 mph had been raised) and I've also been pulled over on the fwy by CHP, LAPD, Sherriff, and under covers. So general rule is any law enforcement officer can pull you over, they will more than likely call for a CHP to come and actually write the ticket though ask me how I know

D

Quick Reply: Strange Police Behavior