Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Where to tune in Central/Southern Cali.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 05:14 PM
Suspended Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NICKZ28
I just worked on a car that had a VERY expensive race-prep tune in it. We put a new trans in it and took it out to the track the next day. This car has the potential to run 11.5xx-11.6xx, but the shift points were jacked up. It ran 12.2xx b/c the driver had to completely lift off the gas to shift 2-3. It would bounce off the limiter. We even called them a couple days later and all they could say was "bring it in, we'll fix it", when it should've been fixed the first time. If they do such a good job, it should've never been an issue.

Funny, we have had a few cars with NOTING more than a 3000 stall, a lid longtubes and a tune go many 12.6's at CA Speedway, (crappiest track prep in the state!) with NO shifting issues. I think you need to look into either how the trans is setup or what you changed to make it act funny. We have NEVER let a car go out the door with the customer unhappy, in fact we have stayed until 3AM before making sure it was right for more than one person. I can say this, if you have a problem with something....Bring it to us to get looked at! I have no problem standing behind our work. Honestly though, a tune does not change, if it worked when it left the building, it would still be working now unless you changed something....

-Bryan
Old 11-24-2005, 06:48 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Race-Prep
Funny, we have had a few cars with NOTING more than a 3000 stall, a lid longtubes and a tune go many 12.6's at CA Speedway, (crappiest track prep in the state!) with NO shifting issues. I think you need to look into either how the trans is setup or what you changed to make it act funny. We have NEVER let a car go out the door with the customer unhappy, in fact we have stayed until 3AM before making sure it was right for more than one person. I can say this, if you have a problem with something....Bring it to us to get looked at! I have no problem standing behind our work. Honestly though, a tune does not change, if it worked when it left the building, it would still be working now unless you changed something....

-Bryan
Funny you say that. B/c the invoice from the tune included driveability & idle. It didnt idle for ****. And the driveability wasnt there. The cam wasnt even that big. Btw, we didnt change anything. I probably would have had better luck tuning it myself. Oh yeah...12.6x w/ LT's and a converter is kinda sad. My set-up went 12.22 @ 110 on a street legal day @ CA speedway.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Last I checked LACR is 2700' real elevation, DA is calculated through current atmospheric conditions at the time of racing. That being said, I have drag raced at Famoso, LACR, Pomona, and Carlsbad. NA I saw about .5-.7 ET difference and 5-6mph difference between LACR and Carlsbad (300' real elevation).

Thats about on par with the differance between actual elevation, regardless of the actual DA.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:52 PM
Suspended Sponsor

Originally Posted by NICKZ28
Funny you say that. B/c the invoice from the tune included driveability & idle. It didnt idle for ****. And the driveability wasnt there. The cam wasnt even that big. Btw, we didnt change anything. I probably would have had better luck tuning it myself. Oh yeah...12.6x w/ LT's and a converter is kinda sad. My set-up went 12.22 @ 110 on a street legal day @ CA speedway.
If there is a problem with a tune, (which I doubt very much) it is the customers responsibility to come back and have it fixed. If you don't bring it back, how can we fix the problem?? In my opinion, that leaves the ball in your court wouldn't you say??

-Bryan
Old 11-27-2005, 02:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If there is a problem with a tune, (which I doubt very much) it is the customers responsibility to come back and have it fixed. If you don't bring it back, how can we fix the problem?? In my opinion, that leaves the ball in your court wouldn't you say??

-Bryan
I keep hearing all kinds of prices on what you charge to tune a car. So just to set the record straght post up some prices. I hear you charge up to $800.00.

List prices for LS1 & LT1 cars

Price for stock
Price for a full bolt on
Price for a full bolt on car with heads and cam
Price with full bolt ons, heads, cam and either Nitrous, superchager or turbo.

Also what about a vehicle that has been tuned alrady but just added something and whats to get it checked and any adjustments it may need.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:26 PM
Staging Lane

I've called everywhere and have been quoted 500-800 for a tune. I'll have the following mods: trex cam prc valvesprings, etc. ported tb, asp pulley, jtr longtubes and intake, cutout (this will be on a 94 rx-7) which will all be run on hptuners.

Is it possible to street tune myself? I will have a wideband commander installed along with my hptuners? Anyone have a bin file for a trex cam? Im willing to pay just as long as its not going to set me back 500. hahaha
Old 11-28-2005, 09:54 AM
Suspended Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1 BLOWN V8
I keep hearing all kinds of prices on what you charge to tune a car. So just to set the record straght post up some prices. I hear you charge up to $800.00.

List prices for LS1 & LT1 cars

Price for stock
Price for a full bolt on
Price for a full bolt on car with heads and cam
Price with full bolt ons, heads, cam and either Nitrous, superchager or turbo.

Also what about a vehicle that has been tuned alrady but just added something and whats to get it checked and any adjustments it may need.

**Price for anything, less internals, (Bolt on tune) = $400.00 including dyno and tuner time for up to a half day.

**Price for any internals like cam, porting, etc. and any power adder (Full tune)= $800.00 including dyno and tuner time for up to a full day.

As for touch ups, once you tune with us and you would like to change something we simply charge an hourly rate to make the adjustment $80.00/hr. and most touch ups don't take much time at all unless you make a drastic change like add a blower or something. All work is done using HP tuners.

Thanks for the interest.

-Bryan
Old 11-28-2005, 08:53 PM
11 Second Club

-Bryan
I think I know what I'm talking about, when I say there is a problem w/ the tune. Nothing was changed on the car since it was tuned by you. And trust me, you're not gonna be fixing this problem. I think the owner wants his **** to run the second time around.

Btw...how is it you get 12.6x out of a tuned LS1 w/ LT's, converter and whatever else you said? My slowmaro runs 12.1xx @ 110-111mph through the stock manifolds . What are you doing? De-tuning the car? I think you're not giving those guys what they pay for. Seriously? What do you do? Just add a little timing and fatten it up a little? Mess w/ the shift points a little, so it doesnt bounce off the limiter from the higher stall? 12.6 doesnt sound right for all that. Do you tell you customers exactly what you do to the tune? And dont tell me its b/c of my 4000 stall converter, b/c I've seen guys w/ lower stall converters (w/ more hp/tq) pull about the same 60ft.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:12 PM
Suspended Sponsor

This car went 12.6 with NOTHING more than Pacetter long tubes (MAYBE 10RWHP on a stock engine) and a lid and our tune, This thing is stock! It only 60'd like a 1.8 and has stock 3.42 gears! I have been to Cali speedway MANY times and I have NEVER seen someone with a nearly stock camaro run 12.6's or even 12 anything's there. I really don't understand your thinking, not to mention how do you figure the tune changed? There has never been a car that has left our hands that did not run correctly. Wouldn't you think the owner would tell us it was bad before he left? I really think he would...

-Bryan

Last edited by Race-Prep; 11-29-2005 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:40 PM
Suspended Sponsor

By the way, how do you figure your stock engine is pushing 111.4 MPH with a converter and gears? You think that you are making 400RWHP? Because that is what it would take to push a 3700lb vehicle and driver to that MPH so I am VERY confident you did not run that E.T. at Ca Speedway with a stock engine and stock exhaust at 2000+physical elevation+weather without a power adder or internal mods. Also, with reguard to the actual owner of this car with the supposed problem, again we would be happy to fix the problem anytime. Please feel free to bring us the car and we will take care of it gladly. We do not, and have not, burnt any of our customers.

-Bryan
Old 11-29-2005, 02:58 PM
11 Second Club

By the way, how do you figure your stock engine is pushing 111.4 MPH with a converter and gears? You think that you are making 400RWHP? Because that is what it would take to push a 3700lb vehicle and driver to that MPH so I am VERY confident you did not run that E.T. at Ca Speedway with a stock engine and stock exhaust at 2000+physical elevation+weather without a power adder or internal mods. Also, with reguard to the actual owner of this car with the supposed problem, again we would be happy to fix the problem anytime. Please feel free to bring us the car and we will take care of it gladly. We do not, and have not, burnt any of our customers.

-Bryan
Yeah, ok. Dont believe me? You can come make an *** of yourself this weekend at fontana. Theres nothing done internally to my motor. My mods are in my sig (minus the SLP MAF). Btw, 9 finger watched my car run that 12.103 @ 111.41mph. He's also seen it run 12.1xx-12.2xx @ 119-110mph numerous times. If you want proof come this saturday.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:17 PM
Suspended Sponsor

We will be there watching some friends so we will come see you for sure. What does your car weigh? I would assume it is VERY light then as the car I was speaking of is full weight down to the spare tire and jack. I don't doubt your cars potential only the way you achieve it, I have seen quite a few cars come through our doors, and not one, even cars other people built has EVER laid down 400RWHP from an engine setup like yours, so you either have a VERY light car or you got a freak, or you are lying about being stock. None of these things has anything to do with our ability to produce a great running car, watch the others there you might see one or two even get in the 12's and most of those are running Spray. Our cars run extremely good for what they have on them.

-Bryan
Old 11-29-2005, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

**Price for any internals like cam, porting, etc. and any power adder (Full tune)= $800.00 including dyno and tuner time for up to a full day.
Wow.

I just talked to Rob at Strictly Performance.

Cam only car with all bolt ons with a nitrous tune is only 400 + dyno time which is about an hour.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:56 PM
11 Second Club

We will be there watching some friends so we will come see you for sure. What does your car weigh? I would assume it is VERY light then as the car I was speaking of is full weight down to the spare tire and jack. I don't doubt your cars potential only the way you achieve it, I have seen quite a few cars come through our doors, and not one, even cars other people built has EVER laid down 400RWHP from an engine setup like yours, so you either have a VERY light car or you got a freak, or you are lying about being stock. None of these things has anything to do with our ability to produce a great running car, watch the others there you might see one or two even get in the 12's and most of those are running Spray. Our cars run extremely good for what they have on them.

-Bryan
The car is full weight, minus the spare tire (which isnt a big deal anyway). It still has the bumper supports on it also. Who said anything about 400rwhp? My car has never been on a dyno so I cant say what the rwhp is. And no, I'm not lying about it being a stock internals motor. I told you already, my mods are in my sig. Your cars may run good for what is done to them but mine runs good for what isnt done to it.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:39 PM
Suspended Sponsor

The 400RWHP statement is reguarding what it takes to push a 3700lb car to 111ish MPH, most F-Bodies weigh around that much. Its simple physics, unless your car is very light you will need about 400RWHP to go as fast as you claim and your mods will not support that much RWHP unless your car is a freak, so if so congrats on a very good runner!

-Bryan
Old 11-29-2005, 07:44 PM
11 Second Club

The 400RWHP statement is reguarding what it takes to push a 3700lb car to 111ish MPH, most F-Bodies weigh around that much. Its simple physics, unless your car is very light you will need about 400RWHP to go as fast as you claim and your mods will not support that much RWHP unless your car is a freak, so if so congrats on a very good runner!

-Bryan
Where did you come up w/ 3700lbs? That may be correct for a convertable. But not for a hard top/t-top f-body. They weigh about 3400lbs +/- a few lbs. Thats 300lbs difference from what you said. If you want, I'll get my car weighed there at the scales (if they're open). I cant wait to see the look on your face when I pull off a decent 12.2xx @ 109-110mph, w/ my ALL STOCK INTERNALS LS1.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:55 PM
11 Second Club

Race prep,

I thought you said a S/I LS1 couldnt do this....
https://ls1tech.com/forums/12-second-club/415788-12-s-while.html
and, what about all these?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-results/273788-quickest-stock-internals-list-11-82-bump.html
Old 11-30-2005, 11:28 AM
Suspended Sponsor

60’ - 1.654
330’ - 4.938
1/8 - 7.733
MPH - 88.23
1000 – 10.123
1/4 – 12.136
MPH – 112.30

(link to timeslip)

Current best at an 1/8-mile track is 7.712 @ 88.27

Mods are basic bolt-ons: Lid, 3200 stall converter, Strange rear w/ 4.10 gears, QTP long-tube headers, underdrive pulley, LCA’s, ET Streets.

The difference is, your car has no exhaust, less gear, no underdrive pulley, etc. and I would bet this is not at California Speedway either...

-Bryan
Old 11-30-2005, 12:25 PM
11 Second Club

60’ - 1.654
330’ - 4.938
1/8 - 7.733
MPH - 88.23
1000 – 10.123
1/4 – 12.136
MPH – 112.30

(link to timeslip)

Current best at an 1/8-mile track is 7.712 @ 88.27

Mods are basic bolt-ons: Lid, 3200 stall converter, Strange rear w/ 4.10 gears, QTP long-tube headers, underdrive pulley, LCA’s, ET Streets.

The difference is, your car has no exhaust, less gear, no underdrive pulley, etc. and I would bet this is not at California Speedway either...

-Bryan
You posted earlier saying a stock motor LS1 couldnt reach that mph. Also....take a look at the other link (fastest stock internals list). There are cars at almost full weight going faster. Hows that though...you said that coldnt be done????
Old 11-30-2005, 02:36 PM
Suspended Sponsor

Re-read my posts, I have a business to run....

-Bryan