Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Good shop in Southern CA?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 11:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good shop in Southern CA?

Alright we just got a 2002 Firebird CETA and now the "service engine soon" light came on!! GRRRR!!! It has a supercharger and some other engine mods done, not exactly sure what but hubby does! I was going to take it to a GM dealer and see if there is something wrong but I thought since it is modified they may not be able to help it properly. So are there any recomendations for a good shop in the Southern CA area? I don't think we "NEED" any race tuning or anything like that but a shop that has the ability to tune the car properly would be excellent.
Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:56 PM
Staging Lane

Where are you located specificaly? Then maybe one of us can help you find a shop somewhat close to you.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:02 AM
Staging Lane

We are on the North end of Camp Pendleton. Orange county area. BUT my parents live in the Corona/Norco area and we also have family in the Yorba Linda/Anahiem hills area that we visit. So anywhere around the 5 to the 55 to the 91 to the 15!
Thanks
Old 12-01-2005, 12:15 AM
Staging Lane

Well, the shop that I go to for just general maintenance it is like 5 miles from my house and that is in the Yorba Linda/Anahiem area. The mechanics name is John and from my expierence he does good work. I would recomend calling him and just asking for a price quote and maybe asking if he might have any idea what it might be. Then wait untill some other people chime in on this thread to help you out and find some other shops in your area with good recomendations that you can call. Hell, maybe some guys on here can help you figure whats wrong with your car without taking it to a shop.
Number is (714)282-7498, located in the savi ranch center
Old 12-01-2005, 12:24 AM
Staging Lane

I know the area thanks for that info.
Yeah I am pretty mechanically inclined but I don't want to muck up my husbands new toy so I want to be sure what is the matter. He hasn't really done anything to it. We fixed the drivers side window motor but that is about it! I hope it is just a minor service thing and not some MAJOR problem! That is why I want to jump on it fast and not wait around for it to go bad!
Old 12-01-2005, 12:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you can't find anyone that can help I might be able to take a look at it. I know pretty much all the 'shops' in the San Diego area but won't really recommend any of them.

I doubt the dealership will be much help with a supercharged fbody. They will either not work on it or charge a TON of money to work on it. The few places that know enough to help you will probably charge a lot.

I don't have any personal knowledge of the tuners in OC/LA area, but anyone in San Diego that claims to be able to 'tune' your car doesn't.

Best bet might be to take it to one of the orange county / la ls1 shops, they read the boards and might reply to this thread.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:12 AM
On The Tree

Ok first off dont take it to anyone just yet. Find a local Autozone and go inside and ask for a little handheld gadget that is called an "AutoTap" this nice little thing will be able to pull the codes off your computer, and then tell you what they mean. Please do this yourself its free you just need to give them your license while your using it. The computer in your car is there for a reason, safety mainly. Once you diagnose the problem yourself, saving your wallet at least $65, then you can either do the work yourself or then tell a shop exactly what you need done.

PS. This could be as little as a wire not being plugged in to , or maybe just a oxygen sensor gone bad, which is a no brainer to install.

Hopefully this will help.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:21 AM
Staging Lane

THANKS!!! That is the kind of stuff I need to know! I work on motorcycles and pretty much know my way around them but cars are new to me so I don't know all the tricks of the trade yet! I will definetly go do that! The one dealership out here wanted $88 to just LOOK at it! I didn't like the sound of that since I figured all they would do is plug into the computer and read the codes!
Thanks alot. I will let you guys know what the prob is.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:05 AM
Suspended Sponsor

If that does not work out for you, I assure you we can take care of the problem quickly. We deal in nothing but LS1 and LT1 vehicles and have seen just about everything that goes bad on these cars. Give us a call 760-200-5155 and we will take care of it. Good luck with the DIY though, I hope it works out for you!

-Bryan
Old 12-01-2005, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an Autotap with enhanced parameters. I live in Riverside, contact me when you are in the Corona/Norco area. I am about 5 minutes from Limonite and the 15 fwy, there's a BestBuy/Target, we could meet in the parking lot.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mrs. Ronin
THANKS!!! That is the kind of stuff I need to know! I work on motorcycles and pretty much know my way around them but cars are new to me so I don't know all the tricks of the trade yet! I will definetly go do that! The one dealership out here wanted $88 to just LOOK at it! I didn't like the sound of that since I figured all they would do is plug into the computer and read the codes!
Thanks alot. I will let you guys know what the prob is.
Actually you should get your own ODBII code scanner, they are a very handy tool to have. In fact you can purchase one for 1/2 the price what the dealer wants to charge you to scan your car. This is the one I have thrown in my glovebox right now, got it on sale for $35 and it scans and clears codes for just about all cars made after 1996: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=46030
Works great!

If you don't want to purchase one right now, at least do what Beemerz28 recommended. Have an Autozone scan your car for trouble codes. Write them down (all 4 digit codes) and post them here. We should be able help you zone in your problem from there.