Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

New Law!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 04:24 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
I don't have a Honda, and have been pulled over and almost had my car impounded. They aren't just targeting imports. There are literally TONS of guys in my area that have been pulled over for no reason and sent to the ref. When pulled over the cops have said that they are trying to get ALL of the modded cars off the road. It's getting to the point that you have to literally sneak around in a car with any mods. I've even heard of people with CARB legal shorties getting sent to the ref. They were told that even though they have a CARB #, they still have to go to a ref to get it sorted out. Even CARB legal aftermarket parts can get you hasseled and sent to the ref in good old CA!

That is the problem I have with the law enforcement. If you have proof. If you have paperwork stating that you have legal C.A.R.B. approved equipment on your car then you should not be sent to the ref. I mean if they are trained to spot illegal mods then surely they must be trained to know the legal mods. If you are made to go the ref does this cost any money? If so and if it is determined that your mods are legal will you be compensated? I tell ya Cali may have the weather but the laws here are getting out of hand.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:10 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they have had rolling smog checks from time to time

those who like to go hang out @ the local ricer meets and give them a hard time or just any big car gathering in some areas need to really watch out. a year or so ago a bud of mind learned this the hard way(well his truck was a 67' so they couldn't do anything but everyone else got it hard). as the cops blocked off the only exit to this parking lot. had 50+ cars all roll up and 3 rolling smog stations. they checked EVERY car that left that lot. even mom and her 3 kids in the wagon, rolled it up and smog'd it. they'd pop the hood and check every little thing including block vin's(mainly for all of those imports) along with checking tire pressure and every law on the book that they can legally ticket you for and gave them out to EVERYONE. those with very illegal setups just left there cars there overnight and got a hotel room.

doesn't happen to often but it can happen. and i've heard of 1-2 other cases of cops blocking off some roads and having a rolling smog check. its real, but doesn't happen a lot

another reason i'm glad i left cali, then again they are trying to move those junk laws out here in AZ. for 40+ years street racing and mod'd cars were not a major issue till the ricer craze caught on .. damn them to hell

according to a few laws any exhaust sound that is louder than stock you can get a ticket for, this is the reason so many SRT4's got tickets when they first came out tho since they came stock with no mufflers most got off without paying anything but the court fees. still a pain in the ***. back when i had my exhaust dumping before the axle i've had a few cops look @ me odd and one that had pulled me over was asking about it.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:17 PM
Banned

Default f*** the police

this sounds really bad for me. i dont daily drive my car but i take it to track events occasionally, and this worries me. How bad would it be if on the way to a track event i get pulled over and cop impounds my car. Im planning on entering a series called "D1 Street Legal" and the entry fee to each event is around $300. I doubt i would be re-imbursed by the state of ca for the entry money. california is not the place to be for car enthusiats right now. Too much "ricer" stereotyping, too many smog laws, too many mis-informed police officers. i go to domestic meets and when i bring my car and the police roll up, the import gets hassled, whether its my s13 or my civic. if california wants to make money off of this how about they have some kind of a "smog freedom" system where you pay a certain amount of money i.e.-$1000 to be smog exempt. Make driving rules more harsh but dont get me for the mods done to my car, thats just wrong. There are people who drive infinately more reckless than i and theyre not being pulled over because theyre in stock cars that are quiet and un-modified. ARRG! so frustrate

Nissan Boy
Old 06-14-2006, 02:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

im glad i dont have to worry about that ****, i hope it never comes this way too
Old 06-14-2006, 02:36 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Kens_02SS
not even close there buddy
Well, at least you'll have a better track out to wherever you're moving. Cant get much worse than LACR
Old 06-15-2006, 12:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by NISSANBOY
this sounds really bad for me. i dont daily drive my car but i take it to track events occasionally, and this worries me. How bad would it be if on the way to a track event i get pulled over and cop impounds my car. Im planning on entering a series called "D1 Street Legal" and the entry fee to each event is around $300. I doubt i would be re-imbursed by the state of ca for the entry money. california is not the place to be for car enthusiats right now. Too much "ricer" stereotyping, too many smog laws, too many mis-informed police officers. i go to domestic meets and when i bring my car and the police roll up, the import gets hassled, whether its my s13 or my civic. if california wants to make money off of this how about they have some kind of a "smog freedom" system where you pay a certain amount of money i.e.-$1000 to be smog exempt. Make driving rules more harsh but dont get me for the mods done to my car, thats just wrong. There are people who drive infinately more reckless than i and theyre not being pulled over because theyre in stock cars that are quiet and un-modified. ARRG! so frustrate

Nissan Boy
its called 'profiling' and its illegal and against civil rights. ive even called the ACLU and talked to them bout it. they said that it was a grey area and unless you can prove that they are hassling people illegally then there is nothing that can be done.

IF YOU HAVE BEEN PULLED OVER FOR A LEGAL MOD, YOU SHOULD CALL THE ACLU AND TELL THEM. Maybe if we get enough people calling we can get someone on our side to throw this crap out.

an idea of "racial profiling": http://www.ethnicmajority.com/racial_profiling.htm

how is this similar to what is going on with the laws? Police are using modifications to determine who would be most likely to street race. If you have modified your car, police are 90% sure that you are going to go street race and commit crimes basically.

While its not limited to race, it is a type of profiling to assume that just because someone modifies their car that they are going to go street race. I mean thats like i put a sticker on my car (but its stock) just cause i like the sticker, and instantly im a street racer to the cops and subject to being pulled over and checked for illegal mods.

#2. Police cannot search your car by law. even with probable cause. According to the site i linked to, you can refuse a police officer's request to search your car, but its reccomended you do so politely. They may or may not take this as a sign you might have something to hide, but this is your rights we are talkin about. Personally I don't care what they say, I'm never letting a cop search my car again unless they have proper paperwork or some kind of explanation of the reason for searching my car.

thats just all there is to it. we have to fight back. think about it -- if the colonists hadn't fought back against oppression, we would all be speaking with an english accent right now and be under the queen's rule.

just something to think bout. soldiers fight and die so that we can have the freedom to do what we want with our property (cars for instance). we shoul dhave the strength to stand up against those that would supress that freedom. even peace officers who think they are doing the greater good by serving themselves and giving themselves more power.

Last edited by Black34V6; 06-15-2006 at 12:44 AM.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:03 PM
TECH Resident

man i'm so glad my car is registered in MI, its about as far as you can go of being not stock LOL.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:48 PM
Staging Lane

you have to watch out for cali cops as they will give you a ticket even tho you are out of state for illegal mods ... its evil but its been done .. some of the tickets stuck some didn't so
Old 06-15-2006, 06:51 PM
TECH Resident

what a ref ticket............dont know how they could ticket me. I've ran into one of those smog checks and they just waved me on, with my car lopeing liek a bitch the whole way

I mean i meet all of MI regulations, i've got MI insurance plates, and licence.......for all they know i'm just driving through.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:55 AM
Staging Lane

yea sometimes you luck out but a bud of mine that came down from CO got pulled over for 'tint' which was to dark for cali even tho he had CO plates and the cop busted him for like 8 diff things as he held him up for a while checking the whole car out(not having a cat in tthere and just straight pipe hurt)
Old 06-16-2006, 11:32 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by thelostartof
yea sometimes you luck out but a bud of mine that came down from CO got pulled over for 'tint' which was to dark for cali even tho he had CO plates and the cop busted him for like 8 diff things as he held him up for a while checking the whole car out(not having a cat in tthere and just straight pipe hurt)
Well cats are a little different, thats a fed law, not just a state one.
Old 06-16-2006, 04:04 PM
Staging Lane

true but he got him for a bunch of retarded laws that no one enforces and cares about .. i just remember that one as the funny one as the reason he was driving to my place was for me to isntall a cat and muffler on his car
Old 06-16-2006, 04:23 PM
TECH Resident

ic well i'll keep a look out then. Just can't see how they coudl do anything, but who knows it is california.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Black34V6
its called 'profiling' and its illegal and against civil rights. ive even called the ACLU and talked to them bout it. they said that it was a grey area and unless you can prove that they are hassling people illegally then there is nothing that can be done.

IF YOU HAVE BEEN PULLED OVER FOR A LEGAL MOD, YOU SHOULD CALL THE ACLU AND TELL THEM. Maybe if we get enough people calling we can get someone on our side to throw this crap out.

an idea of "racial profiling": http://www.ethnicmajority.com/racial_profiling.htm

how is this similar to what is going on with the laws? Police are using modifications to determine who would be most likely to street race. If you have modified your car, police are 90% sure that you are going to go street race and commit crimes basically.

While its not limited to race, it is a type of profiling to assume that just because someone modifies their car that they are going to go street race. I mean thats like i put a sticker on my car (but its stock) just cause i like the sticker, and instantly im a street racer to the cops and subject to being pulled over and checked for illegal mods.

#2. Police cannot search your car by law. even with probable cause. According to the site i linked to, you can refuse a police officer's request to search your car, but its reccomended you do so politely. They may or may not take this as a sign you might have something to hide, but this is your rights we are talkin about. Personally I don't care what they say, I'm never letting a cop search my car again unless they have proper paperwork or some kind of explanation of the reason for searching my car.

thats just all there is to it. we have to fight back. think about it -- if the colonists hadn't fought back against oppression, we would all be speaking with an english accent right now and be under the queen's rule.

just something to think bout. soldiers fight and die so that we can have the freedom to do what we want with our property (cars for instance). we shoul dhave the strength to stand up against those that would supress that freedom. even peace officers who think they are doing the greater good by serving themselves and giving themselves more power.

1.) The parts on your car are more likely than not "illegal". It gives them the right to search your car. Are you going to a race? probably not. Will you race? Hell yea... It's not illegal for a person to have a gun, it's illegal for him to tote it around.

2.) You can refuse a car search, they will just call in and get a search order. How much time do you want to spend with the cops?

Old 06-16-2006, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

....And California still has the worst ******* drivers out of any state I've lived in!
Old 06-16-2006, 06:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by KillerKlown
....And California still has the worst ******* drivers out of any state I've lived in!
I think Las Vegas has the worst drivers......
Old 06-16-2006, 06:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by KillerKlown

Anyone ever been to Boston???
Old 06-16-2006, 07:02 PM
TECH Resident

lived there this last year, and yes driving downtown..............good god might as well walk.

Last edited by ThirdGenLS1; 06-16-2006 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:52 PM
Teching In

I don't intend on visiting California anytime soon, and I'll move if those laws sweep over to Arizona...bastards
Old 06-17-2006, 03:16 PM
Launching!

Oddly enough, I found the drivers in Arizona to be 10x worse than those in SoCal and the ones in SoCal are absolute ****!

As for the "modded cars are more-likely to race" profiling, it IS just like racial profiling. And just like racial profiling, it's generally wrong and targeting the WRONG people!

I find most of my impromptu races on the street and aggressive driving comes from soccer moms in Porsche SUVs, middle-management-******* in Benz's, yuppy granola-lovers tryin' to get their "fast" on in their Volkswagons and preppy frat-boy bastards who've just been handed yet another thing they didn't have to work for in their BMWs.

All of these testosterone-driven people, with no understanding of their vehicles or the road are the real menaces. I can't count how many times I've had some chowderhead in an Audi cut me off, swerve through traffic and theink they were autocrosser or something.

Quick Reply: New Law!?!?!