Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

New Law!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 05:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NISSANBOY
I have 2 cars, one is a 1992 Civic LX sedan which is nearly bone stock except for it not having a muffler. That is my daily driver. Then i have my TRACK car. My track car does not have a cat, and it is just slightly under the legal decible limit for california. If my car had a cat it would pass smog no problem, but wouldnt pass the visual inspection. I enjoy driving my 240 around because its just a fun car. I dont need to speed in it to have fun. I save my "spirited" driving for the track, where it belongs. I dont see how driving my car on the street can be illegal. I could see how i might be able to get a smog ref ticket, but why would i get pulled over? My car is ugly so it attracts attention, but if you dont know whats done to my car, you would never suspect its modified by the way i drive it. I drive 240 a lot more passive than i drive my civic. I still get pulled over. Why me? Most cars these days have over 160ish whp, and thats enough to break every law imagineable if the drivers an idiot. I am not an idiot driver. I just enjoy driving the car that i have put a lot of money into. There is no difference between profiling a car or a person. Its the same, everyone has potential, but its up to that person to make the decision to go the extra mile and use that potential. the only people who do stupid things in cars, are the people with low i.q.'s (at least from my experience). Maybe people should carry i.q. test cards in their wallets to show the officers that theyre not idiots. Or how about performance driving classes counting as a higher education of the physics of driving. California just wants to make extra money off of giving stupid tickets while satisfying those tax-payers who have been traumatized in one way or another by reckless driving. I CALL BS ON CA!! why should they really care about my car? There are more gross polluters and reckless drivers in the world than me car, why profile me? Profile illegal aliens who are driving gross polluters without their seatbelts on and without having their drivers license. arrrg, if you flame on me, ill smite thee,!!!! araejlfd;ldfj;slfd Im pretty frustrated

I agree on CA. wanting to make money on this bullcrap.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

like you get an "uncorrectable" exhaust ticket, where the cop gives you a subjective ticket, and you need to make an appointment with the ref to get it signed that its legal. then you get the paperwork in order, stil have to pay the fine, then you have to go to court and present your case to the judge. best part is, its the judges decision on whether to throw out your case or not because "what if you changed your exhaust back to stock before you got it tested, and then just put the illegal stuff back on?"

guilty before being proven innocent... that's it.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2 FASST SS
Well I don't know about you, but I would not feel safe with a career serial killer fresh out of prison living next to me. I would want his azz monitored at all times. OR, if I had children, I would want the neighborhood child molestor monitored at all times. BUT that's just me...
there is a difference between saying that a person is much more likely to commit a crime based on his past actions and saying that someone is likely to commit a crime based on his ability. we all have the ability to commit the crimes you just stated but most of us do not have the past actions to make the fears that we might a little more plausible. with your reasoning everybody would be monitored because we all have the ability. so saying that somebody is going to go kill somebody street racing because they have a certain kind of car, is much different than saying that this person has been pulled over many times for speeding and other offenses he is more likely to do something dangerous like street racing. that said, the point that i think ryne was trying to get accross to the audience is that a person should not be judged guilty because they have a certain type of car but it would be ok if they had personally proven themselves to be unable to handle the responsibility.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:52 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by rocketrider93
there is a difference between saying that a person is much more likely to commit a crime based on his past actions and saying that someone is likely to commit a crime based on his ability. we all have the ability to commit the crimes you just stated but most of us do not have the past actions to make the fears that we might a little more plausible. with your reasoning everybody would be monitored because we all have the ability. so saying that somebody is going to go kill somebody street racing because they have a certain kind of car, is much different than saying that this person has been pulled over many times for speeding and other offenses he is more likely to do something dangerous like street racing. that said, the point that i think ryne was trying to get accross to the audience is that a person should not be judged guilty because they have a certain type of car but it would be ok if they had personally proven themselves to be unable to handle the responsibility.

I understand what everyone is trying to say. Is it right? No. Is it the law? Yes. Unfortunately, it's become a big issue because of the ricer crowd. Guys who have never driven a "Fast" car go and put turbos on their little engines and kill themselves and other people. One one hand you can say it's wrong for the police to do that. On the other hand you can call it precautionary measures which I do think is a good thing thanks to these idiots. I don't like the fact that CA. sees it as a money making opportunity.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:49 PM
TECH Regular

If I ever get pulled over in my rice rocket and asked about illegal modifications, all I have to do is point to the referee sticker in the door (even though I pulled most of the smog stuff off).
Old 06-23-2006, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back to the bad driving thing, I think america as a whole can't drive, it doesn't matter where you are in this country, hardly anybody knows how to f'ing drive anymore. I think we need to follow suite with what germany has done on many accounts. One of the major ones is to require everyone to attend a driving school (I think its like one of those advanced defensive driver's school's where you actually get seat time) unlike drivers ed which is virtually worthless. Another that would be fairly simple to do is to make stricter rules of the road, such as the autobahns lane rules, pass on the left drive on the right ALWAYS!!! None of this riding in the left lane BS. There are many people on the roads that just can't handle the rigors of driving (such as really old people) that shouldn't be driving, and those as mentioned above that just can't handle the reponsibility and go crazy on the road. These people should get there liscenses taken away. I could go on, but just applying a few of these concepts would help aleviate alot of the highway problems. Probably wouldn't help any with the smog stuff though, that freakin sucks guys, glad I have FL tags, hope they don't try and give me crap like the dude from MO. Pretty sure my tint isn't legal, and I don't have carb numbers for any of my parts.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:08 PM
Launching!

I understand what everyone is trying to say. Is it right? No. Is it the law? Yes. Unfortunately, it's become a big issue because of the ricer crowd. Guys who have never driven a "Fast" car go and put turbos on their little engines and kill themselves and other people. One one hand you can say it's wrong for the police to do that. On the other hand you can call it precautionary measures which I do think is a good thing thanks to these idiots. I don't like the fact that CA. sees it as a money making opportunity.
yes but even well intended precautionary measures carry with them an innate loss of freedom which is anti american and also anti-constitutionary. i would in no way shape or form give up my right to own my colt 45 just to make my neighbors sleep better knowing that i no longer have the ability to break into their house and shoot them, when i have never shown any inclination to such a behavior. i have the ability and am fully equipped to do it, but as a law abiding citizen i would never perform such an act.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:54 PM
TECH Regular

Is your Colt registered?
Old 06-23-2006, 06:26 PM
Launching!

Is your Colt registered?
actually yes it is as much as i know that infringes on my rights to bare arms and is also unconstitutional
Old 06-23-2006, 10:50 PM
TECH Regular

actually yes it is as much as i know that infringes on my rights to bare arms and is also unconstitutional
ok, you win...
Old 06-24-2006, 12:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by aram
If I ever get pulled over in my rice rocket and asked about illegal modifications, all I have to do is point to the referee sticker in the door (even though I pulled most of the smog stuff off).
I don't follow, please explain.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by joecar
I don't follow, please explain.
i think he is saying that if he points to the sticker in the door that says a smog reff checked out his vehicle and said it was ok, they will let him off with out too much of a hastle even though his vehicle is no longer in the same exact shape as it was when the ref looked at it.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:04 PM
TECH Regular

i think he is saying that if he points to the sticker in the door that says a smog reff checked out his vehicle and said it was ok, they will let him off with out too much of a hastle even though his vehicle is no longer in the same exact shape as it was when the ref looked at it.
exactly!
Old 06-28-2006, 11:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
The point is potential to break the law and breaking the law are entirely different. You can have the potential and still not break it. You should not be judged on potential, but on the actual act.

Bottom line is, the government has no business in busting people who have not broken the law solely based on their potential to break the law.
GOOD ******* GOD THANK YOU!!!

Finally someone who gets it. What you all dont see - is that the cops START here. Then they do things like they have done in Calabasas, CA where it is 100% illegal to smoke in public, even in the middle of a 400 sq. yard parking lot, with no other cars around you for the space of the entire lot!.

i mean i understand not smoking in certain areas...but outside altogether?

we are quickly becoming a Police state because the authority is handed to the law enforcers and not questioned before it is put into action. This is the kind of thing that sparked the revolutionary war. if we arent careful we are going to repeat history. and personally I dont want to have to fight for my rights but i will.

This country was founded on the belief of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Men died so we could have our freedom - many men. Why is it that I'm not free to pursue happiness in modifying my personal property? This isnt Communist China or the USSR where its everyones property, but my own. I paid 10k + for my car - who the **** is john law to tell me that I cant do things to it as long as i dont endanger peoples lives in the process?

Cops cite saftey as the reason for this - EVERY DAY I see at least one police officer, whether LAPD or LA Country Sherrif, act unsafe. I see police turn their lights on to go through a red light, and then turn into the 7-11 at the next driveway (i was inside), come inside, and get a coke - pay for it and leave. I have seen cops speed down the street - 50mph or so, and then pull someone over for going the same speed. 90% of the time I see an officer they will do lane changes without signaling. Yet because I have one modification done to my car, I am the unsafe one. I am the one risking peoples lives. I signal at every lane change, I only drive as fast as the traffic will allow me (if there is noone i do speed...if there is traffic i dont swerve but drive with the traffic.) i dont tailgate or anythign dangerous.

What he is saying is true. pulling people over because their exhaust is too loud and then ticketing them for everything they have ever done to the car - is similar to me walking down the street and suddenly getting jumped and arrested and DNA tested because a woman 2 states over was raped and im a guy.

its teh same thing. the potential to do wrong is NOT justification. Im just so glad someone else sees it too.

By the way -- a few people have been pulled over for having illegal modifications. They had massive hood scoops and turbos on their cars, and a fartcan out back. What was really humourous was that the cops ticketed the drivers for driving their car the way it came from the factory, since it was a Subaru WRX STi. And they come with those mods. but because the car had them, the cops made the guy go to the ref. he had to pay the court fees and the ref fee. he passed, but why make him pay the fees if he hasnt even modified his car?

This is the stupidity im talking about. there HAS to be a better way...

Last edited by Black34V6; 06-28-2006 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:43 AM
Banned

hey hey now. i have a problem with that. a smaller engine does not make you a liability. Do not lump me in with all the asshats out there that endanger people just because I have a smaller engine than you -- doing that makes you no better than the police who enforce these stupid laws, and also is offensive. you want me to see your point of view? please dont put me on the defensive in the process, you'll make better headway.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by aram
exactly!
that wouldnt hold water. what would happen is that he would cite you for having loud exhaust say - and then you point to your sticker and the response would be "then why did you go and break the law again? pop the hood."

you would get checked out, re-written up, and resent to the smog ref. for a new sticker. They would argue that its the same as someone that speeds, gets caught, goes to court to pay the fine, and then keeps the ticket and receipt to show the cop that hes already sped once and paid the fine, so he knows not to do it again. "if you know not to do it again then why are you doing it?"

edit: how that WILL work is that if you have the "certified" carb legal sticker on your car, you can show it to a smog tech and they wont test, or will allow anything on the car no matter what. kind of a "Free pass" to illegally mod the car, provided you dont get caught by the cops who will write you up and send you to the person that can revoke that :-p
Old 06-28-2006, 12:16 PM
12 Second Club

I quote, "Nothing is illegal 'till you're caught."
Old 06-28-2006, 04:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Black34V6
hey hey now. i have a problem with that. a smaller engine does not make you a liability. Do not lump me in with all the asshats out there that endanger people just because I have a smaller engine than you -- doing that makes you no better than the police who enforce these stupid laws, and also is offensive. you want me to see your point of view? please dont put me on the defensive in the process, you'll make better headway.
i think you may be miss understanding what he was trying to say. all he was saying that these guys who have never driven anything with any muscle to it are going and pumping out their honda motors and toyota motors and what not. these people who have done this are often the unsafe young teenage drivers who are going and killing people on the roadway. he was not lumping you into the ricer crowd. nor was he saying that because you have less than a 5.7 that you are unsafe. even though i disagree, his main point was that it might be alright for the cops to look for these cars exclusively and use it as a precautionary method for keeping people from dying. he wasn't saying that anybody with a smaller motor than his was unsafe.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Black34V6
that wouldnt hold water. what would happen is that he would cite you for having loud exhaust say - and then you point to your sticker and the response would be "then why did you go and break the law again? pop the hood."

you would get checked out, re-written up, and resent to the smog ref. for a new sticker. They would argue that its the same as someone that speeds, gets caught, goes to court to pay the fine, and then keeps the ticket and receipt to show the cop that hes already sped once and paid the fine, so he knows not to do it again. "if you know not to do it again then why are you doing it?"

edit: how that WILL work is that if you have the "certified" carb legal sticker on your car, you can show it to a smog tech and they wont test, or will allow anything on the car no matter what. kind of a "Free pass" to illegally mod the car, provided you dont get caught by the cops who will write you up and send you to the person that can revoke that :-p
What I'm trying to say is cops don't know what they are looking for.. especially with domestic motors. If they ask you about the motor and you have a sticker that says it's legal.. nothings going to happen. Worst case I have to toss a couple parts back on.. no huge deal.

Quick Reply: New Law!?!?!