Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Smog test coming up (Will I need to go to a ref?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 02:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smog test coming up (Will I need to go to a ref?)

Just had a couple of questions. Heres the situation. Car has not been smogged since the cam was added 2 years ago. However, after the cam install, but before it was tuned, the car ran rough (hard to idle, ran rich with black smoke, and check engine light came on) It was only driven from my house to the dyno/tune shop. Got to the dyno shop, and tuner advised that a rear O2 sensor had gone bad, so we bypassed it, tuned the car, and I went home. (lesson learned, do not let your mechanic drop your O2 sensors on the ground) After tune, car ran strong, drove it back home and parked it, and ordered O2 sensors. Check engine light came back on. I replaced both O2 sensors on that side, and the "check engine" light went off. Car runs fine now.

Now, heres what Im concerned about: (1) Do I need to take the car some where and have it checked to see if there are any codes that need to be cleared? Does the code clear itself when the problem is corrected, or is there still a "history" that a code showed up? (2) Will the car pass smog if there is a history of an uncleared code? (3) Once the code issue is cleared, will I need the take the car to a Ref because of the mods (see sig), or can I go to a regular smog test station? Thanks for any input!
Old 11-06-2006, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

what state you in? here in cali not sure if youll pass you might though but i think you only have to go to state ref if you get pulled over. but i wouldnt want to go through all that putting stock parts back on best bet is find someone who will pass you i also think that since your codes went off they should be cleared but not to sure if thats only with a tune
Old 11-06-2006, 04:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 408Maro
what state you in? here in cali not sure if youll pass you might though but i think you only have to go to state ref if you get pulled over. but i wouldnt want to go through all that putting stock parts back on best bet is find someone who will pass you i also think that since your codes went off they should be cleared but not to sure if thats only with a tune
BTW I'm in SoCaL (Inland Empire). Did a lot of research on the cam, others (say they) have passed with it here in SoCal.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clear the code, I know they check for pending codes in the test. I just had mine smogged in August
Old 11-06-2006, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

it really is all about the tune and having cats on your car. as far as the codes go the pcm can only hold them for so long and unless it was like something like 10-12 days ago ( depending on amount driven ) that it thru a code, they are not going to be in the pcm. best thing to do would be to go to a place and do a pre-test and see if it passes, that way you can be sure without actually messing up on a real smog test, that if I am not mistaken puts a bad label on your car.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BeemerZ28
it really is all about the tune and having cats on your car. as far as the codes go the pcm can only hold them for so long and unless it was like something like 10-12 days ago ( depending on amount driven ) that it thru a code, they are not going to be in the pcm. best thing to do would be to go to a place and do a pre-test and see if it passes, that way you can be sure without actually messing up on a real smog test, that if I am not mistaken puts a bad label on your car.
What happens if you fail a test is that you then have to take the car to a test only station. If the vehicle ever fails a test, then you have to use the test only station from that point on.
I actually like the test only station I take the camaro to. The guy is no BS and does an honest test (even with the cam ). Which is more than I can say about the place down the street that failed my wife's completely stock Isuzu Rodeo by hitting the wrong key on the visual... AND my again completely stock Silverado because he didn't check the readiness tests before doing the tests. BTW, both vehicles were clean as could be on the sniffer...
Old 11-07-2006, 02:49 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BeemerZ28
I should be okay then for codes, since this was almost two years and 7k miles ago?

Where do I go for a pretest, anywhere?

The other concern is the regular test station seeing the smog legal headers and backing away/freakin out, and sending me to a ref. Im a little paranoid, since most of my smog experience has been with completely stock late models or old school (smog exempt) hot rods.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:53 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FBDYLVR
Clear the code, I know they check for pending codes in the test. I just had mine smogged in August
What mods do you have (I couldnt access your link) on your car?

Where/who did you take your car to be smogged?
Old 11-07-2006, 06:53 PM
Teching In

i paid for a pre-test 2 months ago and to my suprise the guy said it was fine,i told him now test it for real and i passed easily.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:01 AM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up

Well, I followed someones advice and took it to a shop and had it pre-tested, and it passed; Whew! It actually passed with flying colors with the mods in my sig, though the tech had a silly smirk on his face the whole time, and didnt even ask for my EOD numbers, which kind of had me worried. I'm guessing he knew the cam was there...

Quick Reply: Smog test coming up (Will I need to go to a ref?)