Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

CA. state law on N2O!!... Info plz!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 09:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default CA. state law on N2O!!... Info plz!

SOOO..........did a search and didn't find anything on this so maybe someone can give me a lil help on this.

I wanna throw some N2O in the car this summer but i'm not clear on CA. state law as far as N2O in our cars.

Anyone have any useful info on this?

Thanx!!
Old 02-19-2007, 09:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive been pulled over with nitrous in the car and they didnt say anything also had a friend get pulled over with it and they asked him a bunch of questions but they jsut made sure that he wasnt selling it at partys. .like ballons he told them that he uses it on his car and he was on his way to the track but anyways i think its illegal to carry nitrous and if u do u have to be a dentist and have a hazard sticker on ur car. . or sumthing like that
Old 02-20-2007, 12:36 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by flash12t
ive been pulled over with nitrous in the car and they didnt say anything also had a friend get pulled over with it and they asked him a bunch of questions but they jsut made sure that he wasnt selling it at partys. .like ballons he told them that he uses it on his car and he was on his way to the track but anyways i think its illegal to carry nitrous and if u do u have to be a dentist and have a hazard sticker on ur car. . or sumthing like that
Well medical grade n2o is a lil different then what we would use. Ours has an additive that emits a VERY discouraging odor to keep idiots from using it to get "high"... Medical grade would still work on our cars tho. Its just not what the kind that ours would get filled with.

Heres my thing tho,......its a power adder......but so is a turbo and a supercharger yet those two I know for a fact are NOT illegal. I just wanna know IF it IS illegal to have in your car and if so.........what does the law exactly say about it here in CA..
Old 02-20-2007, 12:55 AM
TECH Resident

I've heard in arizona its ok to have it as long as its not "on/open" on the street. But CA has really strict. This is virginia state law:

Devices used to supply nitrous oxide to the engines of motor vehicles.

It shall be unlawful for any person to operate any motor vehicle on the highways of the Commonwealth if such vehicle is equipped with any device that supplies the vehicle's engine with nitrous oxide, unless the device has been disabled such that the supply of nitrous oxide is disconnected and not readily accessible to the source of delivery. Violation of any provision of this section shall constitute a Class 3 misdemeanor.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:23 AM
Staging Lane

what part of the valley you from.

i believe you can have the connections on but the bottle can not be connected. i dont think i t will pass emissions' visual inspection tho
Old 02-20-2007, 01:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WS6 Rampage
Well medical grade n2o is a lil different then what we would use. Ours has an additive that emits a VERY discouraging odor to keep idiots from using it to get "high"... Medical grade would still work on our cars tho. Its just not what the kind that ours would get filled with.

Heres my thing tho,......its a power adder......but so is a turbo and a supercharger yet those two I know for a fact are NOT illegal. I just wanna know IF it IS illegal to have in your car and if so.........what does the law exactly say about it here in CA..
well some superchargers are legal like the vortech and the sts kit is in waiting for a carb sticker. . (not holding my breath tho)

if all else fails go ask the chp there the ones taht trip off that stuff

and one last thing. . u can get medical grade in pacomia for 4.5- last time i checked havent filled in a while . .=) but im not telling.!!!
Old 02-20-2007, 02:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im also interested in this topic because i want to add some spray in the summer.

I think the law is.....you can have it in the car but the bottle can not be hooked up. The feeder line has to be disconnected.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:08 AM
TECH Veteran

sucks you cant just have the armed switch off.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:02 AM
TECH Regular

I was pulled over in Irwindale awhile ago. I asked the officer about, he told me that as long as the bottle was disconnected it was perfectly fine, all the connections and solenoids can be there. But the feeder line can not be connected. As far as smog ref, my source, who im not naming, Is the North Orange County State Ref, told me that he will fail anyone who has it installed, regardless if the bottle is connected or unconnected, Anything after the mass air flow sensor is illegal. So anyway, if you have the jets just chillin and there not connected to the engine, unless its direct port, and you have a plug or something covering the whole where the jets plum into the intake than it is legal; Well in the smog ref's point of view. You can still have all the solenoids and lines and all that good stuff, it just cant be connected to the engine.

Remember guys, Anything after the mass air flow sensor and before the catalylist is illegal, in California, unless you have a C.A.R.B. sticker. But who cares
Old 02-20-2007, 07:10 AM
Banned

I think the law here states that It can't be hooked up...That's the same way it was in PA...

Just take the line off the bottle, and you're good...But you guys live in a wack *** state...
Old 02-20-2007, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

i kept my stock lid and bellow so i am not to worried about it.... come smog time i'll just change it out and be worry free....
Old 02-20-2007, 12:13 PM
On The Tree

My buddy got pulled over, and they said about it is that it can't be opened. Which makes me wonder why more people don't have automatic openers. That is what the CHP officer told him
Old 02-20-2007, 01:37 PM
TECH Regular

California Sucks ***.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ws6manny
California Sucks ***.
Having been born in Inglewood and having lived most of my life in the South Bay I can verify this. Cali (at least SoCal) is WAAAAAAAAY to crowded these days. Remember: I'm old enough to remember when Orange County around Disneyland actually had orange groves and the only thing down the street from Knott's Berry Farm (Beach Blvd was a 2-lane blacktop road) was an alligator farm. I could go on but I won't bore you with my ruminations of the past.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ws6manny
Remember guys, Anything after the mass air flow sensor and before the catalylist is illegal, in California, unless you have a C.A.R.B. sticker. But who cares
with that being said, he wouldnt fail a dry shot? cuz a dry shot would spray b4 the MAF... er how about a S.D. tune where there is no MAF? anyway

ii got pulled over for speeding, i was indeed speeding. The bottle is mounted on the hump, and was uncovered. The cop asked me if it was "hooked up" i said yeah cuz it was. no reason to lie right? and he just tole me he wasnt gonna hassle me about it. oh and that i "probably have 1,000 illegal modifications under that hood"

oh yeah and im 99% sure you can carry upto 10 lbs. of n2o without having to have a license from the DOT to carry.. so 10lb bottle and your fine....

just hide it
Old 02-20-2007, 09:24 PM
TECH Addict

I live in the San Fernando Valley............I'm deep in LAPD out here! I don't want any more issues with them! Too many tickets already! My insurance is 416 a Month now! lol! BUT ...I want the N2O SOO frig'n much! ...****!!!!

I'm almost ready say **** it and throw some gears an a TC instead now! :-(
Old 02-20-2007, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Actually I talked to my friend who has been a cop for 7 years now. He said technically as of Jan. 07', in California, there cannot be any signs of nitrous in your car. No lines or anything. He said usually cops won't say anything if there is no bottle hooked up, but if they wanted to be an *** they can site you for it and send you to the ref.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:46 PM
TECH Addict

Are you frig'n seriouse?!!! That sux!!!!

Anyone else have some additional info on that?!!
Old 02-20-2007, 11:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phase1GSR
Actually I talked to my friend who has been a cop for 7 years now. He said technically as of Jan. 07', in California, there cannot be any signs of nitrous in your car. No lines or anything. He said usually cops won't say anything if there is no bottle hooked up, but if they wanted to be an *** they can site you for it and send you to the ref.

yes this is true.. you used to be able to have the lines, soleniods.. ect.. so long as there was NOT a bottle mounted in the car...

but who cares.. NAWZ sucks... its for loosers like BallzDeep to feel good about themselves..
Old 02-20-2007, 11:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Z-Convert
Having been born in Inglewood and having lived most of my life in the South Bay I can verify this. Cali (at least SoCal) is WAAAAAAAAY to crowded these days. Remember: I'm old enough to remember when Orange County around Disneyland actually had orange groves and the only thing down the street from Knott's Berry Farm (Beach Blvd was a 2-lane blacktop road) was an alligator farm. I could go on but I won't bore you with my ruminations of the past.

DAAAAAAYUM soooon...

we got a REAL O.G. right here guys... straight from INGLEWOOD!!

Quick Reply: CA. state law on N2O!!... Info plz!