Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

California Emissions - Might move there

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs down California Emissions - Might move there

I am thinking of moving back home to Ventura, CA for family reasons and I have some questions on what I can keep for my current setup. What kills me is this setup was just done this past winter . I am just getting a feel on how far I will have to revert to stock *IF* I move there.

LT's - Have cats, no air fittings. They have to go, no arguments there

!Air - I have the PCM setup so ALL plug in tests will pass . But can I leave it off without them visually looking for the connects, and causing trouble. Not sure if I need the air for my cam to possibly pass at cold startup.
!PCV - I had to remove the PCV system due to oil consumption issues - Can I still leave it off and live with the two breather filters?

Cam - it is a custom grind 224/224 112 lsa .586 lift . I have access to one of the best tuners on the east coast, but even with pcm tuning will it pass the sniffer from your experiences. I have heard of larger cams passing out there.

Heads - I don't have any yet, but can I run AFRs or will I have to live with ported LS1/LS6 heads as the only future emissions and CARB approved ones available. I hope with these I'd be able to get near my current hp level through stock exhaust.

The rest of my mods are listed in my sig. I just hope I can can keep my Cam , if possible (or I can get a custom grind cam for CA )

My goal is to not have to worry about changing parts every 2 years come inspection time, to bypass the liberals out there. Thanks ahead of time for any info. Thought I'd never contemplate living in car unfriendly CA ever again

Last edited by Rhode Island Red; 06-14-2007 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:18 AM
Launching!

I didn't catch the part if your LT's have cats or not? Just find a smog friendly shop that dont harp too much on the visual inspection. I am not sure about your cam though, I think the 224/224 114 lsa passes CA emissions with no problem, but I am not sure about the 112 lsa. I think with a good tune it will still pass. So I would say you will pass as long as there are no ses codes, and the LT's have cats, and you have a good tune. I grew up in Ventura County, visual inspection was never a problem at the right shops .
Old 06-14-2007, 11:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The AFR heads are 50 state smog legal so those shouldn't be an issue if you plan on switching to them... what would worry me the most about your setup is the !AIR and !PCV... not sure how that goes at the smog shop... :think:
Old 06-14-2007, 12:32 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhode Island Red
I am thinking of moving back home to Ventura, CA for family reasons and I have some questions on what I can keep for my current setup. What kills me is this setup was just done this past winter . I am just getting a feel on how far I will have to revert to stock *IF* I move there.

LT's - Have cats, no air fittings. They have to go, no arguments there

!Air - I have the PCM setup so ALL plug in tests will pass . But can I leave it off without them visually looking for the connects, and causing trouble. Not sure if I need the air for my cam to possibly pass at cold startup.
!PCV - I had to remove the PCV system due to oil consumption issues - Can I still leave it off and live with the two breather filters?

Cam - it is a custom grind 224/224 112 lsa .586 lift . I have access to one of the best tuners on the east coast, but even with pcm tuning will it pass the sniffer from your experiences. I have heard of larger cams passing out there.

Heads - I don't have any yet, but can I run AFRs or will I have to live with ported LS1/LS6 heads as the only future emissions and CARB approved ones available. I hope with these I'd be able to get near my current hp level through stock exhaust.

The rest of my mods are listed in my sig. I just hope I can can keep my Cam , if possible (or I can get a custom grind cam for CA )

My goal is to not have to worry about changing parts every 2 years come inspection time, to bypass the liberals out there. Thanks ahead of time for any info. Thought I'd never contemplate living in car unfriendly CA ever again
a 224-224 112lsa, should pass with a good tune, i would put the pcv system back on the car (if your consuming that much oil through the pcv, you have other problems), and hook up you air it doesnt cost any power no point turning it off. as far as long tubes, it all up to the smog guy.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks so far The reason the air is not hooked up now is that my LT's do not have the fitting for them. Even if I swapped out to LT's with the fittings, I'm not sure that they'll let them pass visual.

I'd prefer to leave the PCV system off though as it is the sole reason for my loss of oil (on decel.) but could put it on for visual and etc. if if they do not like the breathers that are there.

I'd like to hear what y'all have on for mods and what's passed with ease
Old 06-15-2007, 01:08 PM
11 Second Club

I passed my last smog, with a 224/224 112lsa Stage II LS6 heads, LS6 intake without the egr port, and the EGR turned off. and mac midlenght headers with a crappy tune with no problems.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

your PCV will fail smog. with my last car I had breathers on the valve covers and passed the sniffer with flying colors, but failed because the PCV was not a "closed system"
Old 08-08-2007, 05:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by intense3123
your PCV will fail smog. with my last car I had breathers on the valve covers and passed the sniffer with flying colors, but failed because the PCV was not a "closed system"

Just to add to this thread: I just passed california emissions testing in Riverside county and I have a TSP MS4 cam, all I did was the following:
1. reinstall the stock manifolds/air system and cats.
2. reinstall stock MAF
3. Tune is essentially stock except that TCC doesn't lock until after 45 mph and
4. idle is set to the limit 1200 rpm

I'm sure the 4400 stall converter helped by keeping rpms up during the test.

15mph 2059RPM
HC (PPM) 22 max is 54
CO% .04 max is .50
NO (PPM) 0027 max is 430

25mph 2015 RPM
HC (PPM) 21 max is 37
CO% .06 max is .47
NO(PPM) 0023 max is 717

Last edited by mr2177; 08-08-2007 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:31 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by mr2177
Just to add to this thread: I just passed california emissions testing in Riverside county and I have a TSP MS4 cam, all I did was the following:
1. reinstall the stock manifolds/air system and cats.
2. reinstall stock MAF
3. Tune is essentially stock except that TCC doesn't lock until after 45 mph and
4. idle is set to the limit 1200 rpm

I'm sure the 4400 stall converter helped by keeping rpms up during the test.

15mph 2059RPM
HC (PPM) 22 max is 54
CO% .04 max is .50
NO (PPM) 0027 max is 430

25mph 2015 RPM
HC (PPM) 21 max is 37
CO% .06 max is .47
NO(PPM) 0023 max is 717
You passed smog with a ms4 cam??????
Old 08-08-2007, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

well the first thing you should do is when you get out here have it tested, if it passes yeah, if not then deal with it then. The shop will tell you what you need to do and you can always pull the LT's off and then put them back on after your smog, would be a pain in the *** but it would probably work. Look around and see if you can find any friendly ones out here.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Alex @ CMS
You passed smog with a ms4 cam??????

yup, I was surprised too, I paid for a pretest first and it passed, then the real test and it did a bit better on the hydrocarbons (sp?) I was prepared to swap cams if I had to, but obviously no need to do so. I also forgot to mention the operating temps were around 225-235*F
Old 08-08-2007, 11:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by mr2177
yup, I was surprised too, I paid for a pretest first and it passed, then the real test and it did a bit better on the hydrocarbons (sp?) I was prepared to swap cams if I had to, but obviously no need to do so. I also forgot to mention the operating temps were around 225-235*F
Your a lucky guy.....

I really don't see how it would have passed unless the equipment was screwed up. with all that overlap your hydrocarbon and nox levels should have been through the roof
Old 08-09-2007, 12:12 AM
10 Second Club

With that overlap HC and CO would fail him.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:58 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by XpEdItIoUs
With that overlap HC and CO would fail him.
is there an echo in here????

J/K, Someone with a trex cam should take it to the same shop to see if it'll pass.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:54 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Alex @ CMS
Your a lucky guy.....

I really don't see how it would have passed unless the equipment was screwed up. with all that overlap your hydrocarbon and nox levels should have been through the roof
Is there any way to get the car tested elsewhere without the renewal notice? I'm very curious to see if it was a mistake, however, at the same time I don't want to press my luck This smog check was straight up, that's the way I wanted it, I didn't ask for any favors, walked in like a regular clueless customer and walked out with a smile on my face. I can give you the name and address to the shop. The equipment looked decent to me, they do tune ups and smog checks only.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:01 AM
11 Second Club

If any of you guys want to inspect my setup the way it passed smog, you're welcome to. You're also welcome to check out my .bin file (HPT) if you'd like. I was hoping this was good news for everyone in california, maybe there's a way to test without renewal paperwork, i'm extremely curious now.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:05 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I'm not bashing you or calling you a liar, if you say you passes with an MS4, ported heads and a 4400 stall more power to you.

I would never say it was a smog friendly cam by any means and no one should expect to pass with such a large cam.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:54 PM
10 Second Club

Just leave your car reg in the other state, cheaper than CA tax.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:16 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by z28poweredlt1
out of state registration is only good for 6 months
Old 08-09-2007, 04:21 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by z28poweredlt1
out of state registration is only good for 6 months