Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Do you live in Cali, but you car is registered somewhere else? Smog question..

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 01:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha i dont know exactly how it works, i just know what they did for me.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:14 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by blackhawk_02
My insurance is based on California rates but my car is registered in Louisiana. I dont have to do smog because of that fact but me not having cats.. is still a no-no in every state.
no true... you are an exception I believe since your military and not all counties require cats (for example mojave county in arizona, had my old z/28 registered there)

Originally Posted by bu01
well then i can just go to the dmv and get another one saying i lost it, then go to the MI dmv and turn that in and get the other... no????
all DMV's within the states talk to each other... you can't have two

Originally Posted by EkS
Hey guys, well I'm thinking about modding my car, but I don't want to deal with the smog issue. I have family that lives in WA where they don't have to smog their cars.

If you have your car registered in another state, have cops ever bothered you about it? I know that you're supposed to register you car in Cali if you're going to live here. How does insurance work?

Anyone have any ideas?
you can only get away with it for so long (or as long as you want to test the system) Seems like certain insurance companies will catch registrations not being accurate with residential addresses (depends on how your living) the best bet so far to get around the system is to register in a county that obviously doesn't require smog... and yes there's counties in CA for this... but even this will look fishy to a cop

so what do you do? so you simply switch your registration back and forth everytime you need a smog... simple enough eh?
Old 12-11-2007, 03:15 AM
TECH Addict

oh and what is up with the post count?
...some hack or some ****?
Old 12-11-2007, 11:08 AM
EkS
On The Tree

Well this is looking to be more of a pain than a benefit.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:31 AM
Teching In

you have to keep insurance in the state the car is taged in.. my GN is taged for Maryland, and i have Maryland insurance.. you can NOT have a tag for a differance state and have CA insurance (if you are in the arm forces you can)..

DMV runs reports with insurance companys to track down this type of stuff.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RrCoX22
no true... you are an exception I believe since your military and not all counties require cats (for example mojave county in arizona, had my old z/28 registered there)
i called my cop friend back at home and he said we have to have cats in our Parrish.. so that sucks for me whenever i go back home! lol

Originally Posted by nordy racer
you have to keep insurance in the state the car is taged in.. my GN is taged for Maryland, and i have Maryland insurance.. you can NOT have a tag for a differance state and have CA insurance (if you are in the arm forces you can)..

DMV runs reports with insurance companys to track down this type of stuff.
True.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe as long as you have permanent residence, a license, and insurance in a given state, that is the one you deal with, no matter where you are. My only question is about whether or not you have to switch license plates or not. I need to look into this as well...
Old 12-11-2007, 04:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just checked out the CA DMV site...

"When fees are due

Commercial vehicles and any vehicle owned by a California resident must be registered upon entry into California unless a special permit was obtained. Visitors whose vehicles are properly registered to them in their home state may operate their vehicles in California until they:

* Accept gainful employment in California.
* Claim a homeowner's exemption in California.
* Rent or lease a residence in California.
* Intend to live or be located here on a permanent basis (for example, acquire a California driver license, acquire other licenses not ordinarily extended to a nonresident, registered to vote).
* Enroll in an institution of higher learning as a California resident or enroll their dependents in school (K-12).

Fees must be paid within 20 days of entry or residency to avoid penalties.

NOTE: Nonresident military personnel stationed in California or their spouses may operate their vehicles with valid out-of-state license plates from their home state or the state where the military person was last stationed.

Fees must be paid within 20 days of entry or residency to avoid penalties."

Looks like the bottom line is that if you rent/lease/own a house here, you must register here... unless you're military, then you can do wtf you want.

Last edited by ArcticZ28; 12-11-2007 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:00 PM
TECH Addict

i called my cop friend back at home and he said we have to have cats in our Parrish.. so that sucks for me whenever i go back home! lol
Parrish?

...you don't need cats in counties that don't smog... simple enough... why? because you won't ever take your car into a smog station as long its registered in that county since there is no smog station to take it to, so therefore you can run NO CATS
Old 12-11-2007, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the dead giveaway will be your CA driver's license. Get a WA one and I think you could get away with it for awhile. Just have your story down when you get pulled over: "I'm visiting friends/relatives" "I'm here for work"
Old 12-11-2007, 08:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RrCoX22
Parrish?

...you don't need cats in counties that don't smog... simple enough... why? because you won't ever take your car into a smog station as long its registered in that county since there is no smog station to take it to, so therefore you can run NO CATS
Yes Parrish. If you don't know any American history, Louisiana has Parrish's, not counties. I believe there is only one another state in America that has Parrish's instead of counties, if not, Louisiana is the only one. For example, I live in Lincoln Parrish. Anyway, You DO need cats in counties/parishes that REGUIRE BY LAW that you have cats on your car. Just because they don't do smog does not mean it's legal for you not to have cats in a county/parrish that requires such. You can call my cop friend and tell him that we are allowed to have cats, then he'll tell you the law that says you HAVE TO have them. Or, you can drive to Louisiana, and let him pull you over, and give you the ticket to prove it.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:15 PM
EkS
On The Tree

Yes Parrish. If you don't know any American history, Louisiana has Parrish's, not counties. I believe there is only one another state in America that has Parrish's instead of counties, if not, Louisiana is the only one. For example, I live in Lincoln Parrish. Anyway, You DO need cats in counties/parishes that REGUIRE BY LAW that you have cats on your car. Just because they don't do smog does not mean it's legal for you not to have cats in a county/parrish that requires such. You can call my cop friend and tell him that we are allowed to have cats, then he'll tell you the law that says you HAVE TO have them. Or, you can drive to Louisiana, and let him pull you over, and give you the ticket to prove it.
He is right!

Just because the car doesn't have to have a smog check in that county/parrish, it doesn't mean anyone can disable/tamper with any smog equipment.

Heck, I'm supposed to run a charcol canister and another things in my Chevelle, but I don't. I don't have to get it smogged, but I'm still supposed to have the smog equipment there.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its not illegal but its not smart FYI. You can get fucked over... As far as smog they cant hassle you but there are many things that they can do. Put it this way.... They will bend you over and not give you the KY.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have dual residency; Calif and Nev. I live with my Girlfriend in Calif but car is registered in Nev as I have property there and vote in Nevada. Driver License is Nevada also. Address on registration and DL is my Calif address as Nevada only requires your "mailing address" on your Reg and DL. Car is smogged in Las Vegas once a year with the OBD II test. They never look under the hood. They just want to know the PCM is working correctly.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Intense
Its not illegal but its not smart FYI.
I'll put $20 on it saying not having cats in the Parrish I live in, is illegal.

(if you weren't talking about what I said, then I apologize in advance)

Quick Reply: Do you live in Cali, but you car is registered somewhere else? Smog question..