Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Header install question

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

liek $80 or something give or take. you can go to chevy and buy the stock gaskets too.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:48 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the NGK iraduim i bought was like $6.99 each and dont be cheep, get the gaskets! DO IT ONCE DO IT RIGHT! and poly motor mounts i hear make a huge differance, and that will almost garenetee that you wont have any y pipe banging after the header install! i already am planning to do the mototr mounts when i get my headers! sure its a pain but it sure will pay off!
Old 02-05-2008, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah dude, don't buy spark plugs, save the $15 and buy lunch, dinner, or a 12-pack.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
Yeah dude, don't buy spark plugs, save the $15 and buy lunch, dinner, or a 12-pack.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:12 PM
TECH Resident

hey julio when i got my headers installed i re used my old gaskets but i did get myself tranny and motor mounts (polyurthane) that **** made my motor stiff and i love it cus its not moving around all over the place...i got them on ebay for like 70 w shipping and the tranny mount i got it from RKSPORT...i think it was like 55 with shipping.... id say use ur old gaskets and get urself some mounts...and the pass side mount is a BITCH to change....
Old 02-05-2008, 09:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 59 camaro
hey julio when i got my headers installed i re used my old gaskets but i did get myself tranny and motor mounts (polyurthane) that **** made my motor stiff and i love it cus its not moving around all over the place...i got them on ebay for like 70 w shipping and the tranny mount i got it from RKSPORT...i think it was like 55 with shipping.... id say use ur old gaskets and get urself some mounts...and the pass side mount is a BITCH to change....
What about the headers thenselves? are they a bitch to install?
Old 02-05-2008, 11:52 PM
TECH Resident

yeah the headers are hard if its ur first time....
Old 02-06-2008, 03:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Headers are a bitch if you can't get the car high enough... You need to have the headers almost completely vertical to get them to slide in from the bottom and have the saw zall handy you probably will have to chop the casting flange off the engine block to get the drivers side in.

I used the stock gaskets there steel they'll be fine being used again

If your stock plugs are fine you can reuse them, but NGK TR55's were only 1.99-2.50 a piece at NAPA and you wont have to swap them out later on...
Old 02-06-2008, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SS#2906
I never thought about that!

Would you feel a difference?
Can't feel a difference with just the motor mounts but if you went solids ion the tranny mount I hear that'll rattle you teeth. Mostly you do it when you do headers becaus you have to be in there anyway and it makes the headers go in way, way easier, and more importantly keeps them from banging on the frame and underbody.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:45 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Didn't read all of this post but... BUY NEW HEADER GASKETS! I have a week long story to back this but I reused mine and they eventually blew and led to a huge PITA...

For $30 brand new from your dealership you can get both sides (metal) and they seal perfect. If you get anything besides stock or percy's (basically if you go with paper) you're asking for a leak!

ALSO, buy new plugs! I just bought two sets of NGK TR55's (one for my car, one for the wife's) for $16 per set on ebay...

We're talking about under $50 here. If you can't afford it, wait a week untill you can...
Old 02-07-2008, 02:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
Didn't read all of this post but... BUY NEW HEADER GASKETS! I have a week long story to back this but I reused mine and they eventually blew and led to a huge PITA...

For $30 brand new from your dealership you can get both sides (metal) and they seal perfect. If you get anything besides stock or percy's (basically if you go with paper) you're asking for a leak!

ALSO, buy new plugs! I just bought two sets of NGK TR55's (one for my car, one for the wife's) for $16 per set on ebay...

We're talking about under $50 here. If you can't afford it, wait a week untill you can...

It's not about not having money, it's about not wasting it on stuff I really don't need. I've been reading alot about people using the stock gaskets with no problems. I can see where it's better if you buy everything new, but if I can put that money elsewhere, then I'd rather do that.

Like it was mentioned already, I should invest in mounts, so I purchased a set of motor and transmission mounts. And this weekend I plan on picking up the NGK's.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:04 AM
Banned

It's not about not having money, it's about not wasting it on stuff I really don't need. I've been reading alot about people using the stock gaskets with no problems. I can see where it's better if you buy everything new, but if I can put that money elsewhere, then I'd rather do that.

Like it was mentioned already, I should invest in mounts, so I purchased a set of motor and transmission mounts. And this weekend I plan on picking up the NGK's.

Ok then, you NEED NEW HEADER GASKETS. I reused mine and the problem is that the factory gaskets are three pieces of metal stamped together. They come apart (whether you can see it or not) when you unthread them.

I thought I had a squeeky belt. After my cam install, I thought I had an off rocker, then a collapsed lifter, then a timing chain problem, then an A/C problem, then an idler pulley problem, etc... ALL BECAUSE of a LOUD METALLIC squeek/clanking sound...

Turned out to be "blown" header gasket because I had just reused my stockers. It blows through the three sections of the gasket like a f@cking whistle !

Trust me bro, I'm Mr. Cheap... Used cam, springs, pushrods, shocks, etc... I wouldn't tell you to buy something new if it wasn't a neccessity
Old 02-07-2008, 07:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have another question for you guys.

How hard is it to install the motor mounts once the headers are already in??

My order won't arrive until Tuesday of next week, so that means I'd have to install next weekend. Next week being Valentines weekend, I'll problably have plans on Saturday.

Should I wait? or go ahead with the headers?
Old 02-07-2008, 07:42 PM
Banned

I have another question for you guys.

How hard is it to install the motor mounts once the headers are already in??

My order won't arrive until Tuesday of next week, so that means I'd have to install next weekend. Next week being Valentines weekend, I'll problably have plans on Saturday.

Should I wait? or go ahead with the headers?
Depends on the headers but if you're set on installing the mounts I would wait... Maybe somoene with more experience on mounts in the car will chim in.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Anyone else?

I'm kinda anxicious to get the headers on. The only problem I forsee, is not having enough room to manuever the mounts. The headers are flange type, so I can unbolt them if I have to lift the engine.

But i can also wait............if I have to.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Resident

well fool from what i can remember is that the pass side mount is a BITCH...trust me fool i think ur goign to have to losen up the starer to get to the mount...trust me fool its a bITCH....if ur doing it urself its goign to be a 2 day project...all day
Old 02-07-2008, 09:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 59 camaro
well fool from what i can remember is that the pass side mount is a BITCH...trust me fool i think ur goign to have to losen up the starer to get to the mount...trust me fool its a bITCH....if ur doing it urself its goign to be a 2 day project...all day
The mounts are a 2 day project?

But can it be done with the headers already installed? I'm already telling myself that it's gonna be a bitch.

I guess my question would be, Would I have to unbolt the headers to access the mounts? Otherwise I'll still have the green light for the headers.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:26 PM
TECH Resident

well if i were you i would wait until i had everything ready to install at once because it will b easier with the headers off... cuz of the lack of space down there
Old 02-07-2008, 11:36 PM
TECH Addict

^^yah what he said fool
Old 02-08-2008, 12:30 AM
Banned

Just go look at the car. You will see you'll need the headers out of the way...