Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Where to detail?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to detail?

Everyone in this section who lives in San Diego should clearly know what its like to spend a few hours cleaning and waxing the car, only to drive around for 10 minutes and already be covered in a thin layer of dust

I just got my car painted, and I am EAGERLY awaiting the day I can detail it again, but I'm a little concerned because I know the whole process of washing, drying, sealant, and wax takes a few hours at least. I figure by the time I finish with the sealant, my car will most likely have enough dust settled on it to cause light swirl marks when I wax, especially since I'll be using a porter cable. That, of course, would defeat the whole purpose.

Does anyone know of a place you can go to maybe 'rent' out a garage to wash your car and detail it inside the garage? I've never heard of anything like that but thought I'd ask anyways.

Also, I've seen portable garages or car shelters online and was thinking that might be a good idea too...just set it up in the front yard or in the driveway and do the whole process inside. Any thoughts?
Old 03-10-2008, 09:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sketterman
Also, I've seen portable garages or car shelters online and was thinking that might be a good idea too...just set it up in the front yard or in the driveway and do the whole process inside. Any thoughts?
Seems like the best idea to me.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:55 PM
TECH Veteran

if anyone asks, tell them you keep the girlfriend in there the car took her spot in the bedroom haha.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

No matter how soft it feels, a regular towel will leave swirls on your unmolested paint instantly. Use high quality microfiber everything.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Marc3.4V6
No matter how soft it feels, a regular towel will leave swirls on your unmolested paint instantly. Use high quality microfiber everything.
heh, yeah I refuse to use regular towels to do anything on my car. Microfiber has become my best friend
Old 03-11-2008, 09:27 AM
Launching!

Don't go to the place on Oceanside and College. In the shopping center there, not sure of the name.

Buddy of mine took is Vette there.. and guess what... they wrecked it for FREE!!!! Freaking morons bumped a Mercedes into the back of his Vette. Careless, careless, careless. Yeah yeah, they apologized for it, buffed it out, but still... It's the fact of the matter.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:11 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep your microfibers in ziploc baggies labeled with what the microfibers are used for. never switch bags, and wash them all separately after each use. if you drop a towel throw it out, or make it a wheel or interior towel. Sounds like a pain in the *** but even the nicest microfibers with leave swirls if they've even been slightly contaminated.

that said, i don't think the amount of dust that could settle on the car during the detailing process would cause any swirling or scratching, especially on a blue car. Depends on what paint was used on the repaint though, the softness of different clear coats varies widely. I'd recommend at least an ez-up for detailing outside, not sure what the water in your area is like, but when i used to detail in Brea the sun and the hard water there was death for a darker car.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
keep your microfibers in ziploc baggies labeled with what the microfibers are used for. never switch bags, and wash them all separately after each use. if you drop a towel throw it out, or make it a wheel or interior towel. Sounds like a pain in the *** but even the nicest microfibers with leave swirls if they've even been slightly contaminated.

that said, i don't think the amount of dust that could settle on the car during the detailing process would cause any swirling or scratching, especially on a blue car. Depends on what paint was used on the repaint though, the softness of different clear coats varies widely. I'd recommend at least an ez-up for detailing outside, not sure what the water in your area is like, but when i used to detail in Brea the sun and the hard water there was death for a darker car.
is an ez-up one of those car shelters? I'll have to check on it. The water here is san diego city water, so its terrible at best. I know they say not to wash or wax in the sun but in this city...well good luck finding a day that doesnt have sun haha, so water marks are pretty bad if its warm enough. I usually try to get a start around 7am on a day that I will wax just to be sure that I don't catch too many hot hours.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:06 AM
Launching!

You're being just a little to **** on this one! I believe in keeping my Camaro nice at all times. But when your done detailing it, take a picture! Because thats the only way it's gona stay perfect! They are going to get dirty, that's just life, live with it.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:07 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

too ****... that's retarded. its takes me 8 hours to get my car ready for a get together, ask anybody on this board that's saw my car with original paint, every little step makes a difference.

an ez-up isn't enclosed its just a shade you can set up in like 2 minutes. I believe you can buy a kit for them that has "walls" that velcro on to the frame of it. total cost of it all probably wouldn't be more than 200 bucks. I really wouldn't worry as much about the dust as I would the water spots... the water in upland where I used to live was actually pretty good you can tell by how easy it is to get streak free windows.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:24 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by nz12's
You're being just a little to **** on this one! I believe in keeping my Camaro nice at all times. But when your done detailing it, take a picture! Because thats the only way it's gona stay perfect! They are going to get dirty, that's just life, live with it.

No its not too ****. Its called taking the best possible care of my car. Would you shell out the cash for a brand new paint job and then continue with a normal cleaning routine? And besides, my concern is not the fact that it gets dirty, its the fact that it happens so fast that it might put swirls in my paint just to do a good detail.

Wicked, I'm thinking about one of those ez ups, something like that might also come in handy for a backyard bbq heh thanks for the tip

Quick Reply: Where to detail?