Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

install on an ls7 clutch...?

Old 06-30-2008, 08:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default install on an ls7 clutch...?

has any1 done this that can help me??? do u need a shim or a non stock slave cylinder???
Old 07-01-2008, 12:50 AM
Teching In

no1???
Old 07-01-2008, 12:56 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would at least do a ram adjustable master, i have had engagement issues in the past with ls7 clutches in f-bodies
Old 07-01-2008, 02:00 AM
Teching In

here is the backround...i had a shop do this install for me on top of them installing some longtubes and making a custom y (which turned out good) but the clutch doesnt want to engage i'd say about 95% of the time...now theyre trying to tell me that i need to buy a corvette slave cylinder (because the one i bought was a ls1 gm replacement) and have a shim made...does that sound right??? theyre also going to charge me for the labor again....(probably not full labor, but still)....my car is in worse shape driveability wise than before they installed it...
Old 07-01-2008, 02:02 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ a ls1 slave should work! im not sure why people install a corvette slave
Old 07-01-2008, 02:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

As far as I remember, shims are only used when the clutch is engaging too low. If it's not engaging 95% of the time, I'd say maybe the slave is bad or the hydraulics weren't bled correctly.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by SS#2906
As far as I remember, shims are only used when the clutch is engaging too low. If it's not engaging 95% of the time, I'd say maybe the slave is bad or the hydraulics weren't bled correctly.
Yeah, I would suggest rebleeding it.

Originally Posted by 80'sbaby
here is the backround...i had a shop do this install for me on top of them installing some longtubes and making a custom y (which turned out good) but the clutch doesnt want to engage i'd say about 95% of the time...now theyre trying to tell me that i need to buy a corvette slave cylinder (because the one i bought was a ls1 gm replacement) and have a shim made...does that sound right??? theyre also going to charge me for the labor again....(probably not full labor, but still)....my car is in worse shape driveability wise than before they installed it...
Any shop that is going to charge you twice for the same labor doesn't deserve your business.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:07 AM
TECH Addict

^yea i agree that sounds like some bullshit. if you "have" to have a special slave they should have told you that to begin with. they are probably just looking for a reason to get it open and fix their mistake at your cost.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On one side of the equation, if the mistake is due to the customer, then the customer should pay again for the labor. On the other side, you would think the shop would have some experience/knowledge in this type of work, but this could be your problem to for not doing your homework. JMO
Old 07-01-2008, 11:55 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that shop is talking about a c5 slave then they are smoking the good stuff, because gto,c5,f-body have the same slave, just different lines, which will interchange. it sounds to me if it engages one time and not the other, either the slave or master is bad, or the system wasnt properly bleed
Old 07-01-2008, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

don't you need the ls2 flywheel?
Old 07-01-2008, 03:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by redformulaws6
don't you need the ls2 flywheel?
yes. I did mine. I put an 01-02 slave but didnt update the master. Put a remote bleeder on it and works perfectly!
Old 07-02-2008, 03:08 AM
Teching In

thnx guys 4 all the help by the way, i REALLY appreciate it....here is an update. i decided to try and take matters into my own hands, because i feel that the issue was bleeding and the guy at the shop insists on getting a shim made for it. so i sat in the car for 1hr and 20min lol and used the only method i know how (to bleed) and pedaled the clutch and paused and pedaled till i was bored out of my mind. it helped BIG TIME, i drove it and it was shifting smooth into every gear, but about 5 min into the drive, getting into the gears started to get a lil harder, and i tried reverse again and again it started grinding again????!!! wutsup with that???
Old 07-02-2008, 04:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

thnx guys 4 all the help by the way, i REALLY appreciate it....here is an update. i decided to try and take matters into my own hands, because i feel that the issue was bleeding and the guy at the shop insists on getting a shim made for it. so i sat in the car for 1hr and 20min lol and used the only method i know how (to bleed) and pedaled the clutch and paused and pedaled till i was bored out of my mind. it helped BIG TIME, i drove it and it was shifting smooth into every gear, but about 5 min into the drive, getting into the gears started to get a lil harder, and i tried reverse again and again it started grinding again????!!! wutsup with that???
Pardon my stupid question, but what exactly do you mean by PEDALED THE CLUTCH? If there is any air in the hydraulic system, you need to release it like you would a brake line. Pump the clutch a few times and hold it down, open the slave valve to release air, close slave valve, and pump again.

There are 2 ways of doing this:

1. Have a friend work under the car to open and close the slave valve.
2. Drill a 1/2 inch hole from inside the car, right across from the slave, to gain access to the valve yourself.

If you only pump the clutch a few times, your only moving the air in the lines around, but it's still in the system.

There's a set of instructions on installuniversity.com that you can use.

Another dumb question, during the time that it worked fine, how did the clutch engage? It should feel just like stock, hence no need a shim. The guy at your shop is a JACKASS.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:22 PM
Teching In

haha....im a dumbass...i guess that would explain why it workd for a while n then crappd up on me????
Old 07-02-2008, 06:24 PM
Teching In

any1 nearby wanna help me with this??? ill pay ya a bit n buy ya lunch?!?!? lol
Old 07-02-2008, 06:31 PM
TECH Addict

I installed mine in the driveway, it was easy. Just a simple pull and replace, w/o issue. Engagement is fine, it is smooth, and clamps HARD.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:57 PM
Teching In

are you volunteering for the job???
Old 07-03-2008, 04:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

are you volunteering for the job???
If you are close to Fullerton, I'll help.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:28 AM
TECH Regular

If your close to Vegas I'll help =P

Search this Thread