Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Got ticketed on Angeles Crest Cruise!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 12:58 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got ticketed on Angeles Crest Cruise!

So Rick and I got pulled over in this 7 mile stretch of the Angeles Crest Hwy where is says Headlights On. We both had our Running lights and fog lights on but the Sherriff turned around to get us both going by the letter of the law.

Well I am going to fight it anyway. I will augue that they are esentially low beams and we were following the intent of the law etc...

Old 07-20-2008, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow mark, thats fucked up, if i would have gone, i would have gotten pulled over also..

sorry i couldnt make it, but me, ref mark, and some other f-body guys were at the glendale auto show and then we went for dinner, i got home real late, or um, EARLY this morning

did he say anything about the cam, exhaust
Old 07-20-2008, 01:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Wow. Why the hell do you have to drive with your headlights on on that that particular road? F*ck the police.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:08 PM
FormerVendor

This was on the way back too so it was 9:30 am and plenty bright then, and even though there are shadows etc... the fogs do the same damb thing.

As for the exhaust I shut the car off before he could really hear it and a bunch of bikes passed when he was done so he jumped in behind then going the other way.

Rick was relieved cause he though we were gonna have to pop the hood, he did not want to start it in front of the cop. But we got no hassle for that. He did pull out the ticket I leave wedged in the dash and asked what that was for (like its any of his damb business???)

I am so fighting and winning this one.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That a chicken **** ticket. Hope you beat it.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

hell yea it is. your a damn cop magnet mark, stay the hell away
Old 07-20-2008, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by brynnda
your a damn cop magnet mark, stay the hell away
Now i see. It was all Mark's fault I didn't think that was something they really enforced. I could see if we were F'n around, but Could have been worse, ref. anyone?
Old 07-20-2008, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

That's a bummer! They enforce that one pretty hard since there are a bunch of novices that go too fast and don't notice cars ahead. Similar laws are in place in other parts of the state in order to keep the cars as visible as possible. Given that it's a Sunday and the place is a zoo after 9:30am....... That's why the early run is so much more fun.

We took it kinda easy on the way down. Lots of helmet tapping from the guys coming up. You got hit by the guy that was ticketing an SUV as we were heading down.

Hopefully the officer does not show up for court. Likely the judge won't have much sympathy. Kinda like getting a ticket for 75 if you were only going 70. Judge: "How fast were you going?", Defendant: "70mph, but......" Judge: "So you were speeding?" Defendant: "Well, uh, er...." Judge: "Guilty."
Old 07-20-2008, 07:43 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

It's more for safety than anything else..When I go to Bakersfield HWY 166 you need your headlights on..Sucks to get a ticket for that though because at least you had the fog lights on.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:52 PM
Teching In

You would think that with all the bikes hauling azz up and down the hill, that the cop would have had better things to do than to turn around to nail you for a thing like that.
It will be interesting to see how it plays out if you guys go to court. Good luck, I hope you both beat it in court.

Mark & Rick, on a more positive note, It was good to meet you both this morning, I had a great time. Hope this doesn't scare you off for the next one.

Mark
Old 07-20-2008, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

I thought running lamps were ok to tell you the truth, and the fact that the fogs were on??? Oh well one more click to the right we would have been in compliance, my bad. It's been a while......... so if I can i will do traffic school.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:22 PM
Teching In

I go up and down that road every weekend and this is the first time I've ever heard of anyone being written up for not having their lights on. Most weekdays, going up from La Canada is like going the wrong way at Talledega - lots of cars commuting to LA from Palmdale-Lancaster. I can see the need for lights under those circumstances, but that on a weekend that is a BS ticket.

I've always felt a bit foolish pulling on my lights as I go over that stretch before - no more!
Old 07-20-2008, 09:00 PM
TECH Junkie

******* cops...

they have no lives and nothing better to do... waste of tax money and much much more IMO
Old 07-20-2008, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 70bird

Mark & Rick, on a more positive note, It was good to meet you both this morning, I had a great time. Hope this doesn't scare you off for the next one.

Mark
Likewise to everyone that was there. I'm planning on making next months(lights on). Hopefully Carl will let us post the date?
Old 07-21-2008, 11:38 AM
11 Second Club

DRL will suffice. Fight it.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by warp_6
I thought running lamps were ok to tell you the truth, and the fact that the fogs were on??? Oh well one more click to the right we would have been in compliance, my bad. It's been a while......... so if I can i will do traffic school.

I got a ticket in the late 80's/early 90s for driving with just foglights & parking lights on. When I tried to fight it, I was told that driving with only parking lights is illegal, because thats what they are for, parking (or driving around in a drive in movie, which there aren't too many of those any more).

This was before cars had DRL's, so I don't know if that law is still in effect.

Did he actually get you for driving w/o lights, or driving with only your parking/foglights on?
Old 07-21-2008, 04:10 PM
Teching In

That sucks fellas. My buddy in his Vette got pulled over for the same dumb thing during the begging of one of our ACH runs. They tagged him for no front license plate too. AND he just got the car too. It didn’t come with one. Kinda ruins your day. He even went back down the hill to get gas as we were all waiting for his return too.

We decided to get a picture of the event. We threw up the thumbs up for him anyway. Surprisingly, he didn’t bust any our parked cars. Nordy, you remember that right? How many cars did we have with front tinted windows, no front license plates, etc. He didn’t notice my video camera mounted where my headlight should be, nor the video camera mounted outside our rear window of Nordy’s 300z (as pictured below). LOL.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV

Did he actually get you for driving w/o lights, or driving with only your parking/foglights on?
I'm not sure. I couldn't read his writing. He said it was for not having the lights on. I think he thought we were messing around, and that was all he could get us for. I'm just thankful we didn't have to pop our hoods.