Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

trailblazer SS

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 11:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trailblazer SS

What's the deal with this thing? Its the only GM truck with an LS motor? Would anyone consider picking one up? If so, where and how much? Finally, would you guys see the TrailBlazer as a valid member of the LS community?

thanks!
Old 07-30-2008, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its not a truck its an suv and there are other trucks with the ls-motor.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:17 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by satakal
What's the deal with this thing? Its the only GM truck with an LS motor? Would anyone consider picking one up? If so, where and how much? Finally, would you guys see the TrailBlazer as a valid member of the LS community?

thanks!
only if its magna charged..lol...jk I want one for a DD
Old 07-30-2008, 11:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

thanks!
All GM trucks and SUV's since 1998 had 'LS style' engines...whether it be the LM7, LQ4, LQ9, L76, L92, etc. Almost all parts are interchangeable with Fbodys and vettes of similar year.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:59 AM
Teching In

Now I'm more confused that I started the day. I thought LS meant all aluminum. If the block ain't aluminum, it ain't LS.

Regarding "LS style", why don't those truck motors make LS power? Some GM pencil pushing exec thing?
Old 07-30-2008, 12:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Now I'm more confused that I started the day. I thought LS meant all aluminum. If the block ain't aluminum, it ain't LS.

Regarding "LS style", why don't those truck motors make LS power? Some GM pencil pushing exec thing?
By 'LS sytle' I mean castings, architecture, design, etc. The truck engines, even though some have iron engines they have similar castings and parts are interchangeable. The LQ4 (full size trucks) and the LQ9 (Silverado SS and Escalade) are very desireable engines to build high horsepower boosted engines. The newer truck motors (L98) are almost identical in every way to the LS3, same castings, flow numbers, both aluminum, etc.

Have you ever driven a 6.0 or 6.2 liter equipped GM truck, Silverado or Sierra for instance? Despite the fact that they weigh a ton, they still haul ***!
Old 07-30-2008, 12:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
By 'LS sytle' I mean castings, architecture, design, etc. The truck engines, even though some have iron engines they have similar castings and parts are interchangeable. The LQ4 (full size trucks) and the LQ9 (Silverado SS and Escalade) are very desireable engines to build high horsepower boosted engines. The newer truck motors (L98) are almost identical in every way to the LS3, same castings, flow numbers, both aluminum, etc.

Have you ever driven a 6.0 or 6.2 liter equipped GM truck, Silverado or Sierra for instance? Despite the fact that they weigh a ton, they still haul ***!
Gonna look at an SS at Jimmy Johnson after work today. Something tells me, it's a buyers market. And, in a buyers market, I should look for a deal instead of the coolness of an all aluminum corvette motor in a truck.

I'm kinda looking for one of you smart dudes to tell me... "just get an '04 diesel blah blah and shut up!" Or, "go ahead and get the SS, but don't expect any love/respect from the F body crew at the drag strip."
Old 07-30-2008, 01:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Gonna look at an SS at Jimmy Johnson after work today. Something tells me, it's a buyers market. And, in a buyers market, I should look for a deal instead of the coolness of an all aluminum corvette motor in a truck.

I'm kinda looking for one of you smart dudes to tell me... "just get an '04 diesel blah blah and shut up!" Or, "go ahead and get the SS, but don't expect any love/respect from the F body crew at the drag strip."
I'm a fan of the Silverado SS, those are sweet trucks that can be appreciated by everybody. You can mod them in the exact same way as a LS1 to make good power too.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:58 PM
Teching In

I love my Trailblazer SS. The only sad part is the MPG. I average around 15MPG's verses 26 in the Vette. Coming come from Vegas I beat a Mercedes ML550. From 80MPhh - 100MPH I was able to stay toe to toe with a Porsche Carrera S. People's eyes open up when they see a TrailBlazer doing burnouts!!
Old 07-30-2008, 02:37 PM
Teching In

is there a verdict on the AWD on the trailblazer SS?

Avoid it like the plague?
Hooks up awesome?
Prohibits donuts?
Old 07-30-2008, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by r1ver_rat
I love my Trailblazer SS. The only sad part is the MPG. I average around 15MPG's verses 26 in the Vette. Coming come from Vegas I beat a Mercedes ML550. From 80MPhh - 100MPH I was able to stay toe to toe with a Porsche Carrera S. People's eyes open up when they see a TrailBlazer doing burnouts!!
I don't think he'd be doing that if it was AWD.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
I don't think he'd be doing that if it was AWD.
if it could do a 4 wheel burnout / donut, I'd buy it today!
Old 07-30-2008, 03:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should check out the Performance Trucks tab at the top of the page

What are your real concerns? It sounds like the LS truck world is new to you... there's quite a few of us who've owned a few. Let us know what exactly you want to know and/or looking for.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:45 PM
On The Tree

thanks!
http://www.chevrolet.com/trailblazer/specifications/

if it has the LS2 in it...it falls in the community...it weighs about 4,550 pounds i think...
Old 07-30-2008, 03:47 PM
Teching In

cool. ty!

I'm looking to get a spec miata. I'm gonna need something to tow it from SD to Bakersfield. My little 4.3 V6 S-10 xtreme probably won't be up to the task.

Basically, I'm looking for something fun, a little bit of warranty left, and some towing capacity. I would totally take the tbss to the 1/8th mile events in SD when I don't have anything better to do.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:14 PM
Launching!

i saw a tbss doing high 12's in the 1/4 mile
Old 07-30-2008, 04:27 PM
Teching In

last time I was at RaceLegal in SD, there was a guy in a tbss. He was having a great time. I didn't believe him when he said it was the only LS equiped GM truck/suv.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

last time I was at RaceLegal in SD, there was a guy in a tbss. He was having a great time. I didn't believe him when he said it was the only LS equiped GM truck/suv.
I'd still rather have a truck with a L98 in it.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:00 PM
Launching!

those trailblazers are pretty quick. wouldnt mind having one myself...and about the ls aluminum thing..you can build an ls motor with an iron block people do it all the time. generally a 402..and normally the build is for either high boost or big shots.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks!
Abso-******-lutely.

Originally Posted by cruiSSin LS1
http://www.chevrolet.com/trailblazer/specifications/

if it has the LS2 in it...it falls in the community...it weighs about 4,550 pounds i think...
That's a lightweight for a large SUV.

~400lbs. heavier than a Challenger, ~600lbs. heavier than the new Camaro.