Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Ebay Procharger kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 03:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay Procharger kit

I was recently bidding on a 98-02 LS1 Procharger kit on Ebay. I didn't win, but I received a second chance offer. I had never heard of it before so I did some research and it is legit. Anyway, what is the best way to detect a scammer? The seller profile says the seller is in Rochester, NY, he gave me a Rochester, NY address and phone number. He said the winning bidder had a medical emergency and he called the second highest bidder but that person didn't respond. He isn't taking PayPal, only money order or cashier's check. I'm just wondering the best way to tell if it's legit without losing my money. Anybody have any thoughts or ideas? Questions I should ask him? Another thing is he is using a "friend's" account that has been a member since Oct '06 but only has a trader rating of 3 and all 3 of those transactions were within the last month for small cell phone accessories. Thanks for any help.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

link?
Old 07-31-2008, 03:52 PM
TECH Resident

I know about that.I have bin on ebay lots of times and have got burned on big tranactions. It does sound right to me. I wouldn't do it with cashier check or money order. I would only go thur paypal.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:53 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds fishy
Old 07-31-2008, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Default link

Here is the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=150275534427
Old 07-31-2008, 04:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not do it. His feedback is way to low plus you will not be protected under paypal. I have been on ebay as a buyer and seller for over 6 years and have 100% Perfect feedback of almost 1,000

Tell him you will take it if he will take paypal and also if he is verified.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1 BLOWN V8
I would not do it. His feedback is way to low plus you will not be protected under paypal. I have been on ebay as a buyer and seller for over 6 years and have 100% Perfect feedback of almost 1,000

Tell him you will take it if he will take paypal and also if he is verified.
That's a good idea. I asked him why he didn't take PayPal and he said because he is using his friends' account.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TRBOTYZ
That's a good idea. I asked him why he didn't take PayPal and he said because he is using his friends' account.
Also this is not good that he stated in his add

Shipping insurance
Not offered
Old 07-31-2008, 04:46 PM
Teching In

He just sent me an e-mail. Does this hold any truth?:

"If it would help, I can make up an additional Bill of Sale with my license on it, a signature and all other details needed to secure the transaction. You can send payment to the address on my license and made out to me. That is what was suggested by a law enforcement officer I know. There is no way to scam anyone like that. Thanks again.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Sounds fishy to me too. I have >450 positive transactions on eBay and I wouldn't feel comfortable doing this deal. The only negative transaction that I ever had on there was via a 2nd chance offer.

I don't like the recent change that eBay has done where they block the other bidders info. Before you could email them to ask if they've also been offered a 2nd chance offer, or even email the high bidder to see if he actually paid for the item.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TRBOTYZ
He just sent me an e-mail. Does this hold any truth?:

"If it would help, I can make up an additional Bill of Sale with my license on it, a signature and all other details needed to secure the transaction. You can send payment to the address on my license and made out to me. That is what was suggested by a law enforcement officer I know. There is no way to scam anyone like that. Thanks again.
I have never even heard of that. How about this, Ask him to send it COD and also that you would check the contents of the package and once everything is checked you will pay the delivery guy.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I wouldn't do it.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
I don't like the recent change that eBay has done where they block the other bidders info. Before you could email them to ask if they've also been offered a 2nd chance offer, or even email the high bidder to see if he actually paid for the item.
I did e-mail the winning bidder and he said he got an e-mail from someone else that had a bad transaction with the seller 3 months ago. I am trying to get info from ebay about any bad reports but it is like pulling teeth.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:56 PM
Launching!

with only 3 feedbacks i would say dont do it
Old 07-31-2008, 04:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1 BLOWN V8
I have never even heard of that. How about this, Ask him to send it COD and also that you would check the contents of the package and once everything is checked you will pay the delivery guy.
Would I just give the delivery guy a cashier's check or something?

Would you do that with over $2k worth of products if you were in the sellers' shoes?
Old 07-31-2008, 05:00 PM
Banned Village Idiot

i would do it but pay with a credit card... no money order
Old 07-31-2008, 05:11 PM
Launching!

No way dude, he's using a "friend's" account with only three feedback as a buyer.

No shipping insurance? The unit is probably broken. No shipping insurance because UPS would inspect it and determine that it was shipped broken. Bam, you wind up with a broken procharger (if he even sends it), and no possible way to get a refund. Good luck with that.

However, if you'd like to spend 2k on upgrades for your ride, I can sell you a case of PREMIUM SYNTHETIC blinker fluid...and I take paypal!
Old 07-31-2008, 05:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by brandotron
No way dude, he's using a "friend's" account with only three feedback as a buyer.

No shipping insurance? The unit is probably broken. No shipping insurance because UPS would inspect it and determine that it was shipped broken. Bam, you wind up with a broken procharger (if he even sends it), and no possible way to get a refund. Good luck with that.

However, if you'd like to spend 2k on upgrades for your ride, I can sell you a case of PREMIUM SYNTHETIC blinker fluid...and I take paypal!
Ok thanks everyone. I am going to see if he'll do one of the other payment options that are more secure and offer insurance. I asked him for the serial number on the unit and he told me it's already boxed, in storage, and waiting to be shipped but he could try to get over there and check for me.

I do need some blinker fluid..........
Old 07-31-2008, 05:34 PM
Launching!

I've been in similar situations buying guitar stuff online. I think you should just be straight with the guy and tell him, "hey, the internet is a dangerous place to do business. No offense, but I need to be sure this isn't a scam". If he flips out and takes offense, you probably would've gotten burned anyway. After all, if he's called so many other people to get rid of this thing, HE should be more than willing to jump through a few hoops.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:41 PM
On The Tree

How about asking a member of ls1tech (New York area) to go and check it out for you for a small fee. I bet if he was a scammer he would think twice. It does sound fishy though.

Quick Reply: Ebay Procharger kit