Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Which Speed champ to choose.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 11:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first of all what are you going to use the bike for?

There are positives and negatives to both bikes

Yami tons of hp but not refined in the sense of the Duc

Duc has clean styling and tons of torque because of the v-twin, but does cost a pretty penny to keep the bike running right.

Personally whens the last time you hit in excess of 150mph on a bike?, other than a track

IMO v-twin > I4
they are totally different bikes and require a huge adjustment if going to the v-twin if you have only ridden a I4. A lot more fun when you get used to it though.

If you would like Italian and not the expense of maitenance costs of the Duc. You might try looking for an Aprilia RSV Factory bike comes with all Ohlins suspension and Brembo brakes standard. They use a Rotax motor that is nearly bullet proof. Valve adjustment maybe every 20,000+ miles depending on riding conditons. And another plus you will find them cheaper than a 1098 usually

Either way both bikes would be a good choice but I am not sure about your mpg with the R1 though I think it will be a little less, especially if it is re-geared.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:43 AM
On The Tree

what the above poster is reffering to with the Duc is that the motor will not run (well pretty much) if the valve adjustments are not done on the bike.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

well if i get the 2008 you have to keep in mind

"50% LESS MAINTENANCE COST ON EVERY 2008 DUCATI
We are proud to announce that all 2008 Ducati models require less frequent service, fewer parts and less labour during each service and, as a result, greatly reduced scheduled maintenance costs – by as much as 50%*.

Reducing the cost of service when you visit your Ducati dealer for maintenance is one way to measure the new quality of Ducati. It also contributes immensely to making the Ducati ownership experience as satisfying as the Ducati riding experience.

Research and development is the number one investment at the Ducati factory. This investment in performance and quality includes our factory processes, machinery and the people who build each Ducati. By ‘engineering-in’ quality through design, materials and testing, every Ducati owner will enjoy significant and quantifiable improvements in every Ducati motorcycle.

To a rider, the best measure of quality is by the riding experience. You can feel a new smoothness to the legendary Ducati L-Twin, a more progressive nature to the powerful brakes and more confident road holding in every turn. Reliability and quality – one ride is all the proof you will need.

*All 2007 model onwards. See your Ducati dealer for details.
"

And my last bike was a R6
Old 08-07-2008, 11:54 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by darkcrave
They are both used, the 1098S is a 2008 and the R1 is a 2008. And the Cost to Get a Full maintenance on any bike is ridiculous. Well a lot of the dealers selling new bikes with lojac

3 out of the 6 stolen that i personally know HAD lo jack, when lo jack found the box in the dumpster somewhere in riverside they said, well we found the unit but the bike was no where to be found. so much for lo jack. these guys make a living at stealing bikes, im sure they have figured out how to de code and remove any and all the lojack transmitters, its a bike thier isnt too much room to hide that thing.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

True True but i guess thats what insurance is for
Old 08-07-2008, 11:56 AM
11 Second Club

and yamaha offers an extended warranty and full service and maintance plan for only 1500 more than the price of the bike, and you can finance it on your yamaha card. cant go wrong thier

dont get the ducati, dont fall into the "ritzy" feeling of driving an overpriced underpowered italian pos, open up a sport bike magazine, read the liter bike shootout, i will gurranty the honda or yamaha will rank higher than the 999. reliabiltiy speed cost and well comfort. ever ride a ducati? its like sitting on a 2x4, they are made for little italian douche bags not big fat american guys like me lol
Old 08-07-2008, 11:57 AM
11 Second Club

True True but i guess thats what insurance is for
do yourself a favor and get a price quote from progressive or geico full coverage on a ducati for a guy as young as you. probably have at least 1 point, **** you could buy another new bike for the price of that policy over a year's time
Old 08-07-2008, 11:59 AM
11 Second Club

plus i dont care what it is a clutch is not supposed to jingle when you come to a stop, thats just stupid.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

Lmao yea i was quoted at like 3000 something a year for gico.

does anyone know the "cost" price for yami R1s? i might just go down to a dealer with Cash and see how they limbo
Old 08-07-2008, 12:08 PM
11 Second Club

Lmao yea i was quoted at like 3000 something a year for gico.

does anyone know the "cost" price for yami R1s? i might just go down to a dealer with Cash and see how they limbo
thats the spirit, hit up montclair yamaha they got smoking deals, with no money down you qualify for 12 months intrest free financing. then after a year it jumps up to whatever you can get, make sure you get the maintenance and get them to get you a helmet and jacket. you can make it out as low at 11k for a new r1, but you will probably get done and done at 12995 with all maintance for i forget how long and warranty helmet jacket insurance and you will be ready to ride. be carefull on those new soapy tires.

and dont get the raven that **** gets scratched so damn easy, blue or if you wanna pony up some more for the yellow limited edition, and dont be fooled into buyin an 08, an 07 is the same thing and cheaper,
Old 08-07-2008, 12:12 PM
11 Second Club

oh yeah and one more thing
get ready for those 108mph 1st gear pulls
zero clutching when up shifting and down shifting.
and killing your first viper zo6 or ferrari. or hell ducati and zx14 if you can ride
Old 08-07-2008, 12:22 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the help guys having a tough time here, but it looks like people are favoring the R1 so im going to head down to the dealer this weekend, idk im not a big fan of blue, and i dont like that red. so i may have to be black lmao
Old 08-07-2008, 12:31 PM
On The Tree

^^^ first off why the hell would you ever finance a bike----the single dumbest thing

As with cars, full coverage insurance is required with the loan, meaning that huge bill will be with you until the bike is stolen,crash, or pay it off.

And OP IMO dont believe that Duc stuff about the maintenance stuff its still going to be more expensive than the R1
Old 08-07-2008, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

Ok ok, but is the R1 the best choice out of the CBR,Zx10, and GSXR?
Old 08-07-2008, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

I would say no my choices because I am partial to that Kawi Green would be ZX10, GSXR, then CBR and Then R1

I might think twice about switching between the GSXR and the CBR if I ride a new one I just know the 04-06 models of the CBR blow major donkey
Old 08-07-2008, 02:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yamaha F T W!!!!

I know its not nearly the same thing, but my YZ125 has been reliable as hell. Knock on wood.

Quick Reply: Which Speed champ to choose.....