Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

what cam do you reconmend me guy for my third gen

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 03:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin91Z
LT1 swap? Yeah, I like changing my optispark every 50,000 miles and breaking my knuckles changing spark plugs.

I'm not stupid enough to say a TPI is better than an LS1. I cant get 15 degree heads, 300cfm flow, and 1.7 rockers for the street, otherwise I would. What I'm arguing is the cost per horsepower ratio. For less than the cost of swapping in a stock LS1 engine, my father and I have built (well, he builds, I tune) several TPI engines that run faster, get similar gas mileage, and pass the sniffer. LS1's dont belong in thirdgens, TPI engines do.
Here we go again......optisparks don't go out that quickly, my oem AC Delco lasted 140K. It's only the idiots that buy cheap crap and don't check the seals on their waterpump that give the opti a bad rap.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

For less than the cost of swapping in a stock LS1 engine, my father and I have built (well, he builds, I tune) several TPI engines that run faster, get similar gas mileage, and pass the sniffer. LS1's dont belong in thirdgens, TPI engines do.
I don't know if you read his first post, but he doesn't have a TPI, he has a pos Goodwrench motor...any engine would be better. One of the simplest bang for buck swaps would be a LT1, next would be to install a LS1.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
I don't know if you read his first post, but he doesn't have a TPI, he has a pos Goodwrench motor...any engine would be better. One of the simplest bang for buck swaps would be a LT1, next would be to install a LS1.
Agreed, if he is going to rewire his whole car for an efi motor, he might as well start with the lt1 which has more power stock.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Here we go again......optisparks don't go out that quickly, my oem AC Delco lasted 140K. It's only the idiots that buy cheap crap and don't check the seals on their waterpump that give the opti a bad rap.
Oh sure, its ok to bash the TPI stereotypes, but when I bring up an LT1 or LS1 stereotype, people get butt-hurt. Come on, admit your engine's faults. Stock TPI's dont make power over 4500 rpms, stock LT1's eat up optisparks, and stock LS1's use oil and bend pushrods on misshifts.

An LT1 is just a TPI engine with a better intake. The stock heads flow only slightly better, the camshaft is the same duration but with a little more lift, and the intake is untuned so it makes power at a higher RPM. If you really want to swap engines, either make it a TPI like a thirdgen is supposed to have, or go LSx where the power is. LT1 engines are too rare and require specialized parts which drive up the cost, while not giving back as much horsepower per dollar spent.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Oh sure, its ok to bash the TPI stereotypes, but when I bring up an LT1 or LS1 stereotype, people get butt-hurt. Come on, admit your engine's faults. Stock TPI's dont make power over 4500 rpms, stock LT1's eat up optisparks, and stock LS1's use oil and bend pushrods on misshifts.

An LT1 is just a TPI engine with a better intake. The stock heads flow only slightly better, the camshaft is the same duration but with a little more lift, and the intake is untuned so it makes power at a higher RPM. If you really want to swap engines, either make it a TPI like a thirdgen is supposed to have, or go LSx where the power is. LT1 engines are too rare and require specialized parts which drive up the cost, while not giving back as much horsepower per dollar spent.
I don't remember saying anything stereotypically bad about the L98, just that is made less power stock than the LT1. And I definetely don't see what makes the LT1 rare.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:44 PM
Now you have my attention

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly though, why does everyone ignore the low end torque figures the TPI makes.. Yeah. TPI's run out of breath past 4500, but they pull pretty damn hard up until then.

Nothing wrong with a **** load of low end torque.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Viscious
Honestly though, why does everyone ignore the low end torque figures the TPI makes.. Yeah. TPI's run out of breath past 4500, but they pull pretty damn hard up until then.

Nothing wrong with a **** load of low end torque.
Ok lets get one thing straight...NO ONE IS DISING THE TPI! He does not even have it in the car right now. He has a goodwrench motor!

Now that that's out of the way. We are discussing a engine swap. If he in fact had the TPI, all I would recommend is to upgrade the intake and do some bolt on's and he'd have a real performer, but he doesn't. One of the known drawbacks of a L98 is the intake manifold, which is cured by a LT1 intake. Well if he is going to transplant a whole engine, why not just start with the LT1 is my opinion. It would a simple swap and he'd make alot more power than he is now. That's all I was saying.

Quick Reply: what cam do you reconmend me guy for my third gen