Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Why are my brakes????

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 12:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why are my brakes????

I recently did a resto-mod on my 67 camaro. i put an Ls1 w/ a 6speed tranny and i put a brand new 9 inch rear end with 11 inch cobra roders in the back. in the front i went with 12 inch willwood roders. all the brake lines are brand new master cylinder is brand new purchased from ctp off of a 70's corvette 4 wheel disc brake master cylinder. my og booster was rebuilt around a year ago so i never did anything to that. the proportioning valve is also a willwood adjustable proportioning valve.

now my question is: why are my brakes getting stuck (all 4 roders)

i bled the brakes, i bled the master. the only other thing i did to check if the booster was the problem was to disconnect the vacuum line from the booster. it worked okay for about 5 miles but then it got stuck all over again and it does it every other few miles. when this happensa, i pull over n turn off the car and let it sit for maybe 15 mins and little by little while the car is turned off and on neutral, i start pushing the car and the brakes release and work fine, but a few miles later, they get stuck again! does anyone know y this is happening???

the brake pedal is not getting stuck whatsoever so i know it's not that.

Last edited by 59 camaro; 08-27-2008 at 12:51 AM.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like linkage bind, or a faulty master.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:32 AM
Banned

maybe a linkage binding, look to see if the booster rod is sitting perfectly straight with the brake pedal or could be the brake light switch is making it bind
Old 08-27-2008, 08:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The booster rod may be too long for the master cylinder. If the rod is not set correctly, it will be pushing in on the piston and holding brake fluid in system. Hard to tell, you almost need to make a checking gage of some kind to see what the clearance is or perhaps clay it up like you would do a PTV check.
You could measure the depth of the booster where the master cylinder mounts out to the flat surface at the studs and then measure the master cylinder the same way. I have seen booster rods that are adjustable.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:25 AM
svt
Staging Lane

I had a similar problem when I replaced my front brakes with a baer system. The brakes would grab really hard as it warmed it up. It turned out to be the master cylinder pushrod adjustment. I had set it to 1/4" past the firewal as per the instructions and cold it seemed just right which baffled me for sometime. I forget what made me try it but I brought it in about 1/16" and sure enough problem solved. From what I gather the brake fluid expands ever so slightly as it warms up and if your push rod adjustment doesn't have enough slack it'll put pressure on the brakes.

hope this helps
Old 08-27-2008, 10:35 AM
11 Second Club

wow great advice, that would explain it then. aftermarket master, original booster, no doubt if it isnt adjustable try cutting a little bit off at a time till its right.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:03 AM
TECH Resident

thanks i'm gng 2 give it a try
Old 08-27-2008, 11:03 AM
TECH Regular

Good luck James
Old 09-05-2008, 12:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 69LT1Bird
The booster rod may be too long for the master cylinder. If the rod is not set correctly, it will be pushing in on the piston and holding brake fluid in system. Hard to tell, you almost need to make a checking gage of some kind to see what the clearance is or perhaps clay it up like you would do a PTV check.
You could measure the depth of the booster where the master cylinder mounts out to the flat surface at the studs and then measure the master cylinder the same way. I have seen booster rods that are adjustable.
+1. This is a known problem that has cropped up in the past year or two with a lot of the (chinese?) repro/rebuilt boosters for older GMs cars like our first GEN's. There's a bunch of threads in the brakes & suspension forum on camaros.net with other people having the same problem. The fix is to grind down the booster's pushrod. The quick hack to work around it is a couple of washers between the booster and the master.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:03 PM
Teching In

I have a third generation camaro with an ls1
now a first generation camaro with an ls1 is 10 times better
nice work
Old 09-05-2008, 01:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 818LSX
I have a third generation camaro with an ls1
now a first generation camaro with an ls1 is 10 times better
nice work
In all serious, I think this is the first thread I have seen 818LSX post where he does not sound like a total tool bag. No offense, but you usually sound like a complete douche. Not sure what happened, but congrats.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lt1 hawk
In all serious, I think this is the first thread I have seen 818LSX post where he does not sound like a total tool bag. No offense, but you usually sound like a complete douche. Not sure what happened, but congrats.
thanks i guess

Quick Reply: Why are my brakes????