Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

HAS ANYONE DONE THIS? trap door

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 06:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't see anything half-assed with this, not my car though.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:30 PM
Banned Village Idiot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ thats a clean *** set up! don't see no half asses... just a half of a hand
Old 09-09-2008, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
I don't see anything half-assed with this, not my car though.
Nothing half assed?!?!?! he used duct tape as a gasket!!!!! how much more can you get
Old 09-09-2008, 07:15 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SUCK MY SS
for anybody interested in doing this just remember that the 93-98 f bodies have the fuel pump module located differently on the tank...
the reason being 93-98 fbodies had the charcoal canister remote mounted from the fuel tank, where was the 99+ fbodies have the charcoal canister mounted on the tank itself...

on the 93-98 fbodies the module is located farther towards the front of the car...when making the cut its not a bad idea to make it in a small L shape towards the driver side of the vehicle...this will make it easier for you to reach the quick disconnects...
on the 99+ fbodies the module is located farther towards the rear of the vehicle..

if someone can find me a pic of the axle tunnel from the interior of the vehicle i can draw out where the cuts need to be made...
Mine is a 98 for reference... I didn't do the weird L thing. Long needle nose work well...
Old 09-09-2008, 07:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 02NHRAtransAm
dont half *** your car, i did the fuel pump in my 01 twice and had the tank out far enough to change it within an hour, you do not have to completley remove the rearendfrom the car, just lower it enough to slide the tank out
Half *** your car? GM is the one who went half *** by not giving us an access panel like Ford does. We're just finishing the half *** job GM did
Old 09-09-2008, 07:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
Half *** your car? GM is the one who went half *** by not giving us an access panel like Ford does. We're just finishing the half *** job GM did
yea im still trying to get rid of my plywood weight of an engine they half assed
Old 09-09-2008, 07:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
yea im still trying to get rid of my plywood weight of an engine they half assed
LS1's were good but of course being bolted onto a floor pan that was from 1982 (firewall back) with no revision is definitely what I call half assed.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:09 PM
Banned Village Idiot

lol hell yea
Old 09-09-2008, 09:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 02NHRAtransAm
Nothing half assed?!?!?! he used duct tape as a gasket!!!!! how much more can you get
Who said anything about using ductape as a gasket, just because it's in the picture doesn't mean anything.
That's a clean *** job. He covered it nicely with an aluminum plate and screws too.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Who said anything about using ductape as a gasket, just because it's in the picture doesn't mean anything.
That's a clean *** job. He covered it nicely with an aluminum plate and screws too.
if you look at the picture with it removed there is duct tape residue, and in the picture of it installed you acn see a lil bit of it rolled up under the plate
Old 09-09-2008, 09:24 PM
Banned Village Idiot

^^^ lol i don't see no duct tape residue
Old 09-09-2008, 09:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

How in the heck does it take you more time to simply pull out two pieces of plastic and lift up a carpet?

The first time you do this mod it MIGHT take a whole half an hour since you're cutting the hole. One hour if you go REALLY slow because you are scared.

After that first time it should literally take you ONE MINUTE to access your fuel pump...

I'll race you to get to your pump for $100 if you want
hey all im saying is to change the fuel pump the proper way it is preety simple, i wouldnt be too happy if i took my car to a dealer or somewhere and they cut a chunk of floorpan out because it would be "easier" when i have to replace the pump again. On the 97 that would be a good size hole, twice as big as the one above just to get it out. My friend did it and its still a bitch on his 98 and the car still smells like gas inside with a panel. I wouldnt know why anyone would be changing their fuel pump that much. A pump should last long enough to not make it a every weekend project. And of course i know why people change their pumps other than to fix them. So does that mean people are going to start cutting out access panels in their inner fenders to make spark plug access easier? how bout a access panel on top of the tunnel to get to the top of the bellhousing? Sorry just my $.02, im not trying to argue just giving him options, anybody can do what they want to their cars, its just advice

Last edited by lowerthanyou00; 09-09-2008 at 09:59 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:38 PM
Banned Village Idiot

thats different than a fuel pump change! 100,000 miles??? the people that change them out are the ones that need more fuel more power and get after market units... im sure they are ok units but they will not last 100,000!!
and its $.02 btw
Old 09-09-2008, 09:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

well my point was just its not like your changin your pump every weekend

**** haha
Old 09-09-2008, 09:45 PM
Banned Village Idiot

Originally Posted by lowerthanyou00
well my point was just its not like your changin your pump every weekend

**** haha
i know but you can change it fast next time around
Old 09-09-2008, 09:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1BLKSS
i know but you can change it fast next time around

actually that be a good idea for a track car, in case the pump took a **** on the track, you can damn near be staging and swap pumps hahahaha
also he didnt say if he was putting in a race pump or just replacing the stock one cause it went out

Last edited by lowerthanyou00; 09-09-2008 at 10:39 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

actually that be a good idea for a track car, in case the pump took a **** on the track, you can damn near be staging and swap pumps hahahaha
also he didnt say if he was putting in a race pump or just replacing the stock one cause it went out
yes i would be replacing the stock one on th lt1 that has 123K on it lol i would say its time for a new one lol

Last edited by MJs1FastSS; 09-10-2008 at 12:04 AM.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:31 AM
Teching In

yea its easy we did it to my friend lt1
Old 09-10-2008, 03:07 AM
Banned

hey all im saying is to change the fuel pump the proper way it is preety simple, i wouldnt be too happy if i took my car to a dealer or somewhere and they cut a chunk of floorpan out because it would be "easier" when i have to replace the pump again. On the 97 that would be a good size hole, twice as big as the one above just to get it out. My friend did it and its still a bitch on his 98 and the car still smells like gas inside with a panel. I wouldnt know why anyone would be changing their fuel pump that much. A pump should last long enough to not make it a every weekend project. And of course i know why people change their pumps other than to fix them. So does that mean people are going to start cutting out access panels in their inner fenders to make spark plug access easier? how bout a access panel on top of the tunnel to get to the top of the bellhousing? Sorry just my $.02, im not trying to argue just giving him options, anybody can do what they want to their cars, its just advice
Again, I say the "proper" way is to have a damn access panel. Your analogies are ridiculous. I guess you'd be against adding a drain plug to your tranny pan as well since the "proper" way to change fluid on our penny pinched designed cars is to always drop the pan...

97 is same style as 98 and my hole isn't too big. If you're friend's car smells like gas he has a much bigger problem than the access hole...

THINK ABOUT IT that means his gas TANK isn't sealed properly. An access hole doesn't allow fumes in because THERE SHOULDN'T BE ANY FUMES COMING OUT OF A SEALED GAS TANK.

Sorry but that comment (about friend's car smelling like gas) makes it sound like your just pulling ***** out of your @ss to make your opinion more valid and what you're pulling out makes no sense to anyone with half a brain.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Again, I say the "proper" way is to have a damn access panel. Your analogies are ridiculous. I guess you'd be against adding a drain plug to your tranny pan as well since the "proper" way to change fluid on our penny pinched designed cars is to always drop the pan...

97 is same style as 98 and my hole isn't too big. If you're friend's car smells like gas he has a much bigger problem than the access hole...

THINK ABOUT IT that means his gas TANK isn't sealed properly. An access hole doesn't allow fumes in because THERE SHOULDN'T BE ANY FUMES COMING OUT OF A SEALED GAS TANK.

Sorry but that comment (about friend's car smelling like gas) makes it sound like your just pulling ***** out of your @ss to make your opinion more valid and what you're pulling out makes no sense to anyone with half a brain.
+1, the only thing I covered my trap door with is a thin board, lol, I never smell any fumes.

Quick Reply: HAS ANYONE DONE THIS? trap door