Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Smog Today in the Hoe

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 06:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a harley with a brand new motor, didn't even have break in time and it failed miserabley. Used a bottle of the highest percentage rubbing alcohol I could find. I think it was 70%. The higher the better. I ran a full bottle with about a half tank and the bike passed so well they did it twice because they thought the sniffer fucked up and didn't read right. Same place same tech. He remembered me and I just said I finished the break in and the rings must have seated (complete lie). I would try it with less than a quarter tank and maybe just a bottle.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess I can give it a whirl, this is costing me $38 a pop to test at this station. Technically, it shouldn't pass visual, it doesn't have CARB approved cats on it, which is why I keep taking it to this particular shop. I ran 7 gallons of E85 at the pump (got it last night) and 14 gallons of 91 octane gas, this time, passed the CO(%), but failed HC(PPM).
Old 10-14-2008, 06:22 PM
Staging Lane

I believe HC is unburnt fuel, and from what I've read E85 is like a higher octane rated fuel ie burns slower/more controlled. The way your motor is tuned it may not be able to burn all of that E85 off in the combustion process. It may be "cleaner" but just not burning off all the way. The alcohol has a pretty low ignition point and should burn off easier.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:25 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DVSWS6
I believe HC is unburnt fuel, and from what I've read E85 is like a higher octane rated fuel ie burns slower/more controlled. The way your motor is tuned it may not be able to burn all of that E85 off in the combustion process. It may be "cleaner" but just not burning off all the way. The alcohol has a pretty low ignition point and should burn off easier.
You're comparing denatured alcohol to E85 (ethanol) right?

BTW - You're right, E85 has an octane rating of 105.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:34 PM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=67Firebird455;10289248]You're comparing denatured alcohol to E85 (ethanol) right?

QUOTE]

Yes. Although I didn't search for Denatured Alcohol specifically. A cheap bottle of, like I said, highest percentage, rubbing alcohol from a Walgreens did the trick for me.

BTW, I had some left over 100 pump race gas from my quad that I threw into my H/C dyno tuned to 91 Formula and it didn't like it at all. Very hard to start, didn't idle very well, and smelled rich as hell. Thats why I think that E85 isnt burning off all the way for ya.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:41 PM
12 Second Club

Hmmmmm, that's a possibility. Crazy thing is, everyone is talking about NOx, I don't have to worry about that, this test is at idle,a nd 2500 rpm, and on the sheet is only concerned with HC (PPM) and CO (%).

Quick Reply: Smog Today in the Hoe