Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

F-body drivers who have a Motorcycle?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sick'98WS6
Also why not buy new when you buy a bike? Its too cheap not to, I figure it doesnt come to buying a car because there is not a whole lot to depreciate, Also its something you may just would like to have and know complete history on, and factory financing has some better options sometimes.
Yeah they aren't too expensive but the thing with buying new which i learned the hard way is lol most new riders fall. If you fall on an old bike it won't hurt as bad since its not bran new and most likely already has a few scratches. Plus you can buy a used bike and ride it for a year and sell it for pretty much the same price you bought it for. A simple low side can add up fast body work is not cheap specially if you damage your gas tank.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

DON NOT BUY A BIKE. That is unless you plan on dying or getting hurt bad. Take if from me I have been hit by two cars in two years and rode for 5. To me it is just not worth it anymore especially in Cali too many drivers that do not pay attention. You can be as careful as you want but in the end you can not control what other people do. What I do now is just take it to the track where it is safer and you can go as fast as you want without having to get into trouble. It is your decision to make but you also have to be willing to scarafice your body and life to ride it goes hand in hand.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:15 PM
On The Tree

It is dangerous but you can't tell someone not to do it just because it didn't work out for you. I commute in mine every day, have been riding 5 years and yeah there are tons of careless drivers out there (u will notice it more when u start riding) But its not that bad. Let him try it out and if he feels its too dangerous then thats on him and he can always get rid of it assuming he isn't killed. I agree with taking it to the track I go to as much as my finances allow but I love riding street and don't plan on giving that up any time soon.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:27 PM
TECH Regular

First off take the MSF course before buying anything. You ride their bikes at the course so you dont need one. Secondly, sport bikes require more routine maintenance than a car. I mean you have to clean and re grease the chain every few hundred miles, good tires only last 5-6k miles, not to mention oil changes, brake pads etc. I had michelin pilot powers on my R6 ($135 for the front $185 for the rear), and I went through 2 sets in 6k miles. The cost of maintenance is pretty steep. Or you can be a tool bag squid, and ride the **** out of it with out taking care of it and crash routinely...
Old 09-29-2008, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a bad experience at Berts Mega Mall when I bought my Xr650R, long story but they have a good selection.

I have been thinking lately about looking into a used R6.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:40 PM
On The Tree

Right now i'm using Michelin pilot power 2ct. I've gotten about 6k out of my rear and 10k out of my front commuting and doing a few track days. I paid about 280 for the set. There are Touring tires you can get that will give you better mileage but don't grip as well. Chain should be cleaned and lubricated every 400 miles. I personally do it roughly at every 1000 and the stock chain and sprocket so far has lasted me 17k miles and the sprockets are now showing signs of wear. Oil is every 3k, rear brakes lasted me 14k miles until i replaced them and while i was at it replaced brake lines and put new brake fluid, spark plugs should be replaced every 7500 and air filter should be inspected every 4k i believe. Yes there is quite a bit to it but its not as bad as it seems if you do all of your own work.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:59 PM
11 Second Club

My brother went to bert's at the end of the year last year, got an 07 CBR1000RR for $9100 otd.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:45 PM
Staging Lane

i love the **** out of my bike.

+1 on not discouraging others because you had a bad experience with something.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:50 PM
TECH Regular

Like I said, bike maintenance is at way shorter intervals than a car, and most people dont realize this. Especially people who commute on them. I cant count how many times I pull up to a light behind a bike and see one giant flat spot in the middle of the tire....Bike tires come rounded for a reason. Squids are like ricers of the bike world. For every smart motorcycle enthusiast/rider, theres 5 dumbass squids who dont know ****, but by god they can haul *** in a straight line down the highway.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:30 PM
12 Second Club

If 600's out handle 1000's any day of the week why is MotoGP 1000's
Old 09-29-2008, 10:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Almostryan3
If 600's out handle 1000's any day of the week why is MotoGP 1000's
The largest engine class in MotoGP is 800cc. That changed in 07 when before they could have 990's. The 800's are actually setting new records. The lighter a bike the more easily it throws into the corners, and will carry more speed.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:20 PM
Staging Lane

^^^ beat me to it LOL!
Old 09-29-2008, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

yeah those 800cc GP bikes were braking records on practice laps before the race even started. Its all in rotational mass. But for us that can't ride at that level its not really that much of a difference. I mean yeah a 600 goes into a corner a lot easier but i think its just that on a 1000 u have to be real careful with your throttle hand specially while leaned over. Any little movement of the wrist will make the rear tire slip out and put you on your ***.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:30 PM
TECH Regular

thats the truth. Any ******* can hang on and twist the throttle in a straight line. The problem lies in cornering, especially in throttle control and gear selection. Thats why I liked my r6, you could be a little more heavy handed and get away with it. If your going to ride do the smart thing, take the course, start slow and respect the ride. Dont think a 600 is slow, its about the rider. 90% of people cant ride to their bikes potential, leave that to the pro's.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:01 AM
Teching In

if you go to berts I have some friends that work there I can go with ya if you want I don't mind.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:39 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1sick'98WS6
Yeah, I did good I got it for 9200 OTD w/ helmet gloves and warranty,
R6 is my first bike and i love it, dont listen to people who say get a liter bike, because you wont every ride a 600 to its full potential, especially if its your first.

I looked at other motorcycles and have ridden CBR, and GSXR but i really liked the way the r6 felt and handled, Its more of a track bike feel, super light, it has like a turbo effect though it doesnt make much down low but absolutely screams 9,000 plus... I love it.
although i hate motorcycles and have distanced myself from it altogether, buying a 600 is like buying the honda civic of sport bikes, slow and gay, sit on the thing for like 10 seconds waiting for that short blip of power between 15k rpm and 17k rpm.

trust dont waste your time with 600's you will get real sick of how slow they are in no time, and as for riding to their full potential, its no mystery as what bikes are quicker in the canyon because of weight and handling but subjecting yourself to slow acceleration imo isnt worth it.

get a used 06 or 07 r1, very comfortable and probably the best all around bike i have ever ridden.

with that said, i do like the new v max yamaha came out with, a sick as metric with 200 hp.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:56 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I vote Yamaha as well!
Old 09-30-2008, 01:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by camarojunky74
although i hate motorcycles and have distanced myself from it altogether, buying a 600 is like buying the honda civic of sport bikes, slow and gay, sit on the thing for like 10 seconds waiting for that short blip of power between 15k rpm and 17k rpm.

trust dont waste your time with 600's you will get real sick of how slow they are in no time, and as for riding to their full potential, its no mystery as what bikes are quicker in the canyon because of weight and handling but subjecting yourself to slow acceleration imo isnt worth it.

get a used 06 or 07 r1, very comfortable and probably the best all around bike i have ever ridden.

with that said, i do like the new v max yamaha came out with, a sick as metric with 200 hp.
A 600 is anything but slow, and gay especially these newer ones, really sick... as for waiting, its really not bad at all, and its more like 8500-17000k they scream, also there are other 600s that make more low end torque. Unless you are 220+ pounds and really need to offset the weight to move quick your going to haul *** either way. Seems like the same guys who say "man, screw 600's get a liter bike" are the same ones smeared across the pavements with their almighty hyabusa in 100000 pieces.

Either way they are ******* dangerous, I bought mine last July, and was T-boned by a yukon denali that November.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:11 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by camarojunky74

Spoken like a true squid.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:12 AM
On The Tree

haha.. this is def. a good amount of info. Im pretty sure im going to get one. The wife is talking about it would be a good christmas present so im prolly going to keep looking and make a decision by novemeber of which one. I think that im def. convinced to get one, its just a matter of which one now. I dont mind starting off with a 600 just because i was taught you have to learn a car before you can get a fast one.

My first car was a 89 rs, v6 that car was **** didnt learn nothin from it. But i had an 82 320I, i learned a lot from that car. If i start off with the 600 then maybe i will be able to learn that bike like the back of my hand and be able to understand what it takes to ride a bike. I've never rode a bike before, only quads and i know its different. I have always been a 4 wheels guy, just like my dad but i have that itch for two.

Im sure there is always going to be that need to go faster but, when i was 16 a ls1 was not my first car, and im happy it wasnt. If it had been id prolly would have crashed into a ford. If i get a busa ill prolly end up in some accident like on grand theft auto. Ill prolly start with somethin small and evolve, so i wont always be scared to push the bike to its potential. Def. some good info fellas. I do like the way the busa's look when they are lowered and stretched, but i like the way the gsx-r's and the bikes like that look stock.

Quick Reply: F-body drivers who have a Motorcycle?