Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Help Identify the clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 11:52 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help Identify the clutch problem

well my clutch fluid keeps going down... but not at an alarming rate... almost like it's burning it not leaking it... my question is how many of you have had ur clutch wanting to stick to the floor? and if so what was the problem you identified?

On the same not if you have a stock clutch and ur car is not stock could the power your car is putting down kill your stock clutch? I ask this because i'm putting down high 3's and i have a stock clutch... never acted up when the car was stock as soon as it was making more power it wanted to stick to the floor or would sit down lower than usual? help identify please
Old 10-07-2008, 12:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

A sticky clutch pedal can be caused by several things. First thing I would do is make sure your system is bleed thoroughly.
Next I would perform the drill mod and see if that cures your sticky pedal.
Finally if that doesn't work I would replace the slave and master cylinders.

Here's a sticky for your sticky problem, LOL:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/742741-sticking-clutch-pedal-write-up.html

You very well could be killing your clutch with your new found power. I would recommend getting a LS7 clutch kit, it's supposed to be a good, affordable clutch for cars making around 400 rwhp.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
A sticky clutch pedal can be caused by several things. First thing I would do is make sure your system is bleed thoroughly.
Next I would perform the drill mod and see if that cures your sticky pedal.
Finally if that doesn't work I would replace the slave and master cylinders.

Here's a sticky for your sticky problem, LOL:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=742741

You very well could be killing your clutch with your new found power. I would recommend getting a LS7 clutch kit, it's supposed to be a good, affordable clutch for cars making around 400 rwhp.
The only thing I would add would be to put a good DOT 4 fuid in there. It has a higher boiling point. I remember seeing a thread about the fluid maybe boiling on the cars with hearders.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by warp_6
The only thing I would add would be to put a good DOT 4 fuid in there. It has a higher boiling point. I remember seeing a thread about the fluid maybe boiling on the cars with hearders.
that is a good point with the headers... it could be a possibility to my fluid level going down i will look into that either way i still gotta bleed the system and thank you for all the info...
Old 10-07-2008, 12:44 PM
Launching!

I second the LS7 Clutch. Its very nice and holds pretty well. Do the drill Mod and make sure you have all the air out of the system. That should help.

As for the Fluid, you can use DOT 4 for the higher boiling point. What happens is that the Exhaust manifold is about 4 inches form the line and causes the fluid in the line to heat up and cause the sticking clutch pedal issue. What I did is wrap it in Thermal Wrap where its under that Metal Shroud on the tunnel.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:51 PM
11 Second Club

here is a good tip, dont try bleeding your clutch, you should get a mighy vac with a small tip and stick that in the hole at the bottom of the resevoir and pull a vacuum on the system while watching the air bubbles be pulled out, then shake the lines continue watching the bubbles till they stop all together, pump the **** out of your pedal, suck out all the dirty fluid add some new dot 4 fluid, and continue till the fluid doesnt get dirty and there are no more bubbles, but do not pump the pedal while pulling a vaccum on the system. this is much easier and more effective then bleeding the clutch, and you dont have to jack the car up.

but you should get some kind of heat shield for the clutch pedal line
Old 10-08-2008, 05:01 PM
Teching In

Did you look for evidence of a leak inside the car? I had a master with a really slow leak at the top. It filled the little rubber boot with fluid, then proceeded to leak down the firewall and under the carpet.

Just something else to look at...
Old 10-08-2008, 09:43 PM
Launching!

here it is i'm pretty sure this is the problem

seems to be leaking from where the clutch housing bolts onto the tranny...
i got sick to my stomach... the bronze piece is where the slave goes in correct???

it seems to be leaking from the seal... wait is there a seal between the clutch housing and the tranny?

Pretty lame but i'm gonna purchase the ls7 clutch and rebuild the tranny since i gotta take it out... first time dealing with the tranny should be fun or either way very upsetting
Old 10-08-2008, 10:04 PM
Launching!

t t t
Old 10-09-2008, 12:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

I can't be sure but it seems like all you need is a new slave cylinder, hydraulic line, or both. I would replace both when I put in the new clutch.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:48 AM
Launching!

the leak looks like its coming all around the clutch housing where it hooks up to the tranny is there a seal that goes there? the line looks fine and doesn't seem to be leaking... at first i thought it was the slave cylinder but i looked at the other side of it and it had the same leak residue as on the slave cylinder side???

like the third pic that is the opposite side of the slave cylinder
Old 10-09-2008, 01:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by beezer1519
the leak looks like its coming all around the clutch housing where it hooks up to the tranny is there a seal that goes there? the line looks fine and doesn't seem to be leaking... at first i thought it was the slave cylinder but i looked at the other side of it and it had the same leak residue as on the slave cylinder side???

like the third pic that is the opposite side of the slave cylinder
There's no seal. The slave is probably leaking from the inside and the fluid is seaping out from where the tranny meets the bellhousing.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:54 AM
Launching!

well damn that's shitty... so how good is that ls7 clutch i was thinking about ordering it from SDPC on here it's like 473 for the kit with the pilot bearing and the tool added to the price plus shipping should come out to about 500 bucks or sooo... i wanted a spec 3 but from the readings on here they sound like a shitty waste of time and money... any suggestions or is ls7 good enough for a car that will make 450rwhp or so in the near future
Old 10-09-2008, 09:41 AM
On The Tree

I've been through 2 specs already 3 and 3+. They didn't like the strip with stickys very much. I have a Tex in here now. Sofar so good. I bought mine from ws6store. Right around 1k. That's with a new flywheel. Thats not much more than the spec if you factor in the flywheel. Never tried a LS7 clutch.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by beezer1519
well damn that's shitty... so how good is that ls7 clutch i was thinking about ordering it from SDPC on here it's like 473 for the kit with the pilot bearing and the tool added to the price plus shipping should come out to about 500 bucks or sooo... i wanted a spec 3 but from the readings on here they sound like a shitty waste of time and money... any suggestions or is ls7 good enough for a car that will make 450rwhp or so in the near future
From what I have read, the LS7 clutch is a good, affordable clutch for cars making ~400rwhp. You might be OK making 450, but I would look into it. I would do some research into finding the best clutch for your hp goals and intended use for the vehicle.

Quick Reply: Help Identify the clutch problem