What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Testing the Waters: 2000 Twin Turbo T/A

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Testing the Waters: 2000 Twin Turbo T/A

*Please don't ask me how much I want for the car! I am posting this in the "What is it Worth?" section so that I can get a good ballpark figure of what I should be looking to get for this car as it sits before I start an official sales thread. I know that I could probably get WAY more if I was to part this car out, especially considering that it has well over $30k in performance parts alone. I really don't want to do that though because I think it would be a shame to tear this car apart after all the blood, sweat, and tears that have gone into it, plus I don't have all the necessary equipment or garage space to have this car sitting in pieces for a long period of time.

I bought this car from Patrick G back in Feb. of '07. It was everything its reputation perceived it to be and more.

Here is Patrick G's original sales thread for the car to give you a good idea of the caliber of this build.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicles-...body-sale.html

After having fun with the 6 speed/nitrous combo on this car at 600 rwhp, I decided last summer it was time to turbo this car since thats what it was originally built for. I did a lot of research on different turbo kits and I wanted something that not only made good power, but also spooled quickly, was fairly reliable on the street, and allowed me to retain the A/C. Since Pat had originally bought an APS twin kit for this car that I didn't end up buying with it, I decided to start looking for a good used kit. I came across a guy who had Cablebandit's old Stage III Incon twin kit. I knew that kit very well from seeing all of what it had done on Jerry's car so I decided to jump on it. After doing some research I also decided that I didn't want to mess with the 6 speed with a turbo either and got a guy to swap my trans for his 4L65E setup.

After spending a ton of $ on this car, I am now to the point where I don't have the time, resources, or disposable income to continue on with it any further. It has a few issues currently but I'm just trying to see what I can get for it as it sits.

Here is the full mod list:

Motor
-HKE forged 347 short-block (9.2:1 compression) w/Ross
power-adder pistons (15.8cc dish, 3.905” bore), Ackerly &
Childs nitrous/turbo rings, King rod bearings, Scat I-beam
rods, & ARP head & main studs.
*Built to handle over 1000 rwhp (6k miles)
-Cloyes double roller timing set w/Torrington bearings
-Rollmaster timing chain
-Manton pushrods (7.505” long, 0.120” wall, 5/16 restriction)
-Comp R lifters
-Yella Terra Ultra Light 6645 1.7 shaft-mounted rockers
-Ported LS6 Intake (painted to match car)
-Ported LS6 TB
-AFR 225 heads w/8019 spring upgrade milled to 59cc (ported
by Tony Mamo)
-ARP Head Studs
-Comp Cams 224/230 .609/.604 113LSA +2 turbo cam
-Ported LS6 oil pump
-LS6 PCV valley pan conversion
-Saikou Michi dual PCV catch cans
-Billet Mobile 1 oil cap
-Custom alternator relocation kit
-Kaytech manual belt tensioner on underside of motor
-2 bar MAP speed density conversion
-NGK TR6 plugs w/Taylor high heat resistant wires
-2.5” Y-pipe w/bolt cap cutouts right after turbo down-pipes
dumped before axle (no muffler)

Fuel System
-Twin in-tank Walbro GS340 fuel pumps
-Mototron flow matched 60lb. injectors
-FAST fuel rails
-Aeromotive A1000 fuel pressure regulator w/boost reference
-Snow methanol kit w/dual M15 nozzles & controller box (uses
original windshield washer fluid reservoir for tank)

Turbo System
-Incon Stage III Twin Turbo kit
-Garrett ball bearing GT-3076R turbos (Stage III upgrade)
-Heat coated hot parts
-Twin air to air intercoolers
-Turbowerks oil scavenge pump w/-8 braided lines tapped
into front of oil pan
-LPE 8psi. wastegates (also have 14’s)
-eBoost2 controller mounted in center dash vent
-XS 50mm BOV
-McMaster•Carr one-way check valves
-.65” oil feed restrictor
-Intakes in fog light holes

Drivetrain
-Built 4L65E Conversion
-B&M trans cooler
-Precision 4k stall breakaway converter
-Fully built GM 10-bolt w/3.73 gears built by GM master tech
(still going strong with no wining noises or signs of heavy
wear)

Suspension
-Sam Strano 1.2” lowering springs
-Koni 4/4 single adjustable shocks, front/rear
-Strano 35mm front sway bar
-Strano 22mm rear sway bar
-UMI double-adjustable poly-rod PHB
-BMR poly-rod adjustable LCA’s
-BMR chromoly torque arm w/adjustable crossmember mount
-BMR tubular k-member
-BMR tubular adjustable a-arms
-Energy suspension poly motor mounts
-Stoptech zinc coated drilled/slotted rotors
-Stoptech ceramic pads
-Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval 275/40R/17 tires up front
-Nitto 555R drag radial 315/35R/17 tires out back

Exterior
-Fikse FM10 wheels: 17x9 up front & 17x10.5 out back
-Genuine GM WS6 hood
-WS7 badge
-Lingenfelter Twin Turbo badges
-Black decal badge inserts and overlays
-Blackbird style Ram Air hood stripes
-CETA mod
-Lingenfelter windshield banner not installed

Interior
-Spek gauges in pillar pod: a/f ratio, boost, & fuel pressure
-Custom embroidered TA logo headrests
-Embroidered TA logo front and rear deck mats
-White face gauges
-HURST Classic “Quarter Stick” shifter ****

Electronics
-Pioneer Premier DEH-P8MP head unit
-Memphis Audio door speakers
-RE Audio SE-10 subwoofer in Subthump stealth box
-Kenwood 1,000 watt amp
-Optima Yelow Top battery w/relo kit
-Power Bastards 220 amp alternator w/ASP overdrive pulley

Dyno Numbers
-449 rwhp & 414 rwtq SAE (all motor w/87 octane)
-602 rwhp & 626 rwtq SAE (150 shot w/93 octane)
-No numbers with boost and 4L65E yet

Old 10-15-2010, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Issues
Like I said earlier, the car is having some issues right now. I don't think its anything too major, but if they keep me from getting a fair price on the car, I'll hold on to it longer and try and get them all fixed and sell it for a LOT more.

1) I'm having trouble with oil pressure. The car starts and runs fine, but when the motor gets heated up, the OP drops very low at idle. I think it's an oil pump issue, but I'm not certain.

2) When the car gets hot and the OP starts to drop, after a while of running, a ticking sound starts right under the passenger side valve cover. It not a steady ticking sound. It like "tick....tick, tick.....tick....tick, tick, tick". If it were a bent pushrod or a loose valve it would be making that sound from startup and it would be a consistent ticking. I think its probably either a sticking valve or a lifter not coming up properly due to the low oil pressure. I have drained the oil several times in the last few weeks and its been clean as a whistle every time so I don't think its a bottom end issue. Again, the sound appears to be coming from the top side of the motor right under the valve cover and not from down low. Here is a video of the ticking sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKUtSL1kqz8

3) The brake lights aren't coming on for some reason. The 3rd brake light still works and the back lights come on when you turn on the night lights. The turn signals work fine as well. I replaced the floor switch, but it didn't fix it. I checked all the fuses too. It might just have a loose connection somewhere. The windshield wipers aren't working now either so I'm thinking its that turn signal switch assembly going bad. The connection for the brake lights goes through that too and even though the turn signals work right now, it could still be going out.

4) The paint looks great on this car. There are a few chips here and there though. This is a street car that is driven spiritedly, not a show car garage queen. The front bumper could use some touching up mostly though because it got some chips along the edges from taking in on and off a few times when installing the turbo piping and intercooler. Also some paint chips on the center hole where I cut out the front plate cover to allow more air in to help cool the radiator. I was going to put a piece of perforated aluminum in that hole eventually to give it a really clean look up front.

5) The spark pugs are about to the point of being fouled because the turbos were getting too much oil when they were first installed. I got that issue straightened out now and cleaned out all the piping and Seafoamed the intake. I have a fresh set of TR6 plugs I'll throw in with the car, I just don't want to mess with installing them before everything else is straightened out.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

To the top
Old 10-16-2010, 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone have anything to say about this?

Quick Reply: Testing the Waters: 2000 Twin Turbo T/A