What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

What potential profit am I looking at?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 02:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What potential profit am I looking at?

I may be able to pick up a 98-99 V6 Firebird for around $400 or less I was wondering if there would be a good profit margin parting it out. The engine is junk but the rest is good, interior and body parts, ttops, etc.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

Definitely if the car is in decent shape overall. The big problem is the time and effort involved. Shipping can be a real pain and you have to be careful not to undercharge. I know a few people that sell parts out for different makes but it is a job. It isn't easy. You may make $1,000+ on this but you will have many hours into it, gas expense to take the stuff to UPS or wherever, plus you will still have a leftover shell that you need to get rid of eventually. If you have a business or location where this is not an issue, then that would really help.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think that your location would also effect how much you can make. If you live in a fairly rural area its going to be hard to get buyers for some of the larger items (doors, seats, etc) because most buyers are not going to want to pay to ship it on top of the part. And if your shipping it you have to factor in shipping supplies (boxes, tape, packing material, etc).

Also IDK why but it seems that parts for these cars are not bringing the same $$$ they were years ago. I remember T-tops selling for at least a hundred dollars, but lately I have seen a lot of people (especially local to me who don't want to pay shipping) having trouble giving them away for $20.
So at the end of the day I doubt you will lose money on it, but I wouldn't expect a ton of profit out of it. And you have to consider it might takes a few months to sell everything and you have to consider your time. Between taking all the parts off, listing the items, and dealing with buyers it can be very time consuming.

Another Idea would be to pick up a used v6 and drop it in and sell it as a running car if you have the title, I would think you would make more doing that. And you would have 1 transaction opposed to who knows how many