What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Should I buy the ws6?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 12:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

6k? sounds decent to me. One owner car guys. Not some kid beating on it for a year after he bought it and trying to get out from under. Ditch all the graphics IMO. Original Clutch? Shows how he drove it. Autozone/local auto store will be able to run the engine code for you for free. google/ search the forum for that code and youll have an idea what it is. Dont listen to the guy at the parts store. ;-) My last bird had 124k+ and the one before that had almost 150k and ran fine. Of course its going to need things, its a 13 year old car. I just had to replace the clutch hydraulics in my 2000 Hawk and she only has 16k on her! Where are you BTW?
Old 04-11-2012, 12:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteLS1Formula
I did most of these things. No oil spots, motor has not even been cleaned. He definitely waxes the outside and i checked that he is the original owner. The car still has the stock shifter in it and nothing is aftermarket. It just doesn't seem like it could have been beaten on. It doesn't even rattle while you're driving it. I also made tight u-turns to check for any noises and nothing. No stains on the carpet either.

The guy is married and in the military, He's getting rid of the car because he's moving to Alaska. He doesn't want to get rid of it, but said he spoke with his dad and it's more logical to sell it. If he's lieing, this is one hell of a story.

I also saw coast guard stuff all in his garage and license plate. Doesn't seem like a liar, but who knows.
Originally Posted by gm02ceta
IMO... If you're in no hurry wait and invest some time and find yourself a lower mile WS6. Even though it's just a WS6 it's safe to say it's just cosmetics with standard 17's wheels compared to the base Trans Am or Formula. Is there a big difference in performance stock wise? not really. And since this will be your fair weather 2nd car might as well find a WS6 that's been cared for unless your plans are to mod it.

Don't listen to the WS6 haters who'll some would wish they also had a WS6 or SS car. It's your desire and your money! Heck life is short so get what you want in life so long as you ain't hurting nobody to get there!
I just want a WS6 because I've never had one.

On the other hand, I don't think it's worth getting one with 50-70k and paying 12,000 for it...I'd rather put that money towards a zo6. $6500 is pretty much the max I'm willing to pay for a 11-14 year old car. A 70k mile Ls1 beat to hell is no different than a 140,000 ls1 taken care of. It just seems like you pay 4000-6000 more because of miles. One starts to think if that's even worth it, because even if your high mileage ls1 broke, it would be cheaper to rebuild and make it better/faster than stock. Assuming it breaks, you could use that money for a heads/cam swap. Or just put an ls7 in it.

See what I mean?
Old 04-11-2012, 12:19 PM
Launching!

Old 04-11-2012, 12:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by oberth1
6k? sounds decent to me. One owner car guys. Not some kid beating on it for a year after he bought it and trying to get out from under. Ditch all the graphics IMO. Original Clutch? Shows how he drove it. Autozone/local auto store will be able to run the engine code for you for free. google/ search the forum for that code and youll have an idea what it is. Dont listen to the guy at the parts store. ;-) My last bird had 124k+ and the one before that had almost 150k and ran fine. Of course its going to need things, its a 13 year old car. I just had to replace the clutch hydraulics in my 2000 Hawk and she only has 16k on her! Where are you BTW?
Tampa Florida.

Tell me about it...I couldn't believe it was the original clutch and shift ****. Everything is stock. (Except flowmaster)

Something must be on its way to break though. It's weird to me that nothing has gone wrong. His wife was there when I saw it and said she makes fun of him because of how slow he drives it, lol. I believe it because of the clutch, but she could be lieing of course. I was expecting an oil leak in the garage, but definitely didn't see that either.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:27 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends if you have only 6500 to spend and want a ws6 m6 get it, seems like a decent car. (one owner, garage kept, FL car) Id pay 6500 for it and just save on the side for a nice lq9 build. That's just me. I came across my car by mistake lol. Im in South Florida btw, its REALLY rare to see clean f-body down here, let alone being m6.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by adamantium
Depends if you have only 6500 to spend and want a ws6 m6 get it, seems like a decent car. (one owner, garage kept, FL car) Id pay 6500 for it and just save on the side for a nice lq9 build. That's just me. I came across my car by mistake lol. Im in South Florida btw, its REALLY rare to see clean f-body down here, let alone being m6.
I could spend spend 10,000, but I don't see the value.

I got him down to $6000, not $6500.

I agree about it being rare seeing a clean Fbody...
Old 04-11-2012, 12:33 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I could spend spend 10,000, but I don't see the value.

I got him down to $6000, not $6500.

I agree about it being rare seeing a clean Fbody...
Its up to you now. Thats a good price, only thing that sucks is the smoking issue.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:34 PM
Launching!

Damn, your a week late. I was just down there i would have taken a peek at it with you. You should see what people are asking and seriously think they will get for their rides up here. And most i have looked at are beat up, leaky filthy messes. Then again you can eat off the bottom of my car. ;-) good luck with your decision. If i was looking for a beater summer weekend driver for cheap that would be it. Check to make sure she isnt overheating, run the codes for the Check engine, make sure nothing is leaking terribly and when you get it dont mod the hell out of it. Just drive it and enjoy it. We are always here if you run into problems. And dont go calling the guy 20 times and look at it like 4 more. Go get it or leave the poor bastard alone.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I just want a WS6 because I've never had one.

On the other hand, I don't think it's worth getting one with 50-70k and paying 12,000 for it...I'd rather put that money towards a zo6. $6500 is pretty much the max I'm willing to pay for a 11-14 year old car. A 70k mile Ls1 beat to hell is no different than a 140,000 ls1 taken care of. It just seems like you pay 4000-6000 more because of miles. One starts to think if that's even worth it, because even if your high mileage ls1 broke, it would be cheaper to rebuild and make it better/faster than stock. Assuming it breaks, you could use that money for a heads/cam swap. Or just put an ls7 in it.

See what I mean?
I kinda see your point however I fail to see mentioning of putting that $6k towards a z06 when in the end you'll be dropping more money into upkeeping a high mileage WS6 car or not. Now a zo6 will be worth more of your money in the long run. With that said forget the WS6, you're better off buying a standard Trans Am and put a LS7, and a aftermarket hood! At the end of the day you'll still be throwing more money at it just to keep that newfound LS7 or h/c horsepower from destroying the rest of your 140k drivetrain.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gm02ceta
I kinda see your point however I fail to see mentioning of putting that $6k towards a z06 when in the end you'll be dropping more money into upkeeping a high mileage WS6 car or not. Now a zo6 will be worth more of your money in the long run. With that said forget the WS6, you're better off buying a standard Trans Am and put a LS7, and a aftermarket hood! At the end of the day you'll still be throwing more money at it just to keep that newfound LS7 or h/c horsepower from destroying the rest of your 140k drivetrain.
This would be a good point under the assumption another LS1 with 50k for 12,000 had zero problems while being modded. Although, plenty of people have had major problems modding cars with 50k. It's still old however you look at it and things break. Just because a car has high miles and the other low miles doesn't mean the lower mileage motor is in better condition. It could have been beaten on while the other was highway mileage. Therefore, you could potentially spend over 10,000 on a lower mileage LS1 and have it break within the same time or less. Seeing a car with a stock clutch generally shows it wasnt murdered on. In the end, I believe it depends on the upkeep of the car which is hard to tell UNLESS the car has a stock clutch, never been modded, etc. I would choose a stock ls1 with 140,000 miles with a stock clutch over a 50k mile ls1 on its second clutch that has full bolt ons and nitto 555's. That tells me they were rough 50k miles.

Essentially, this means either buy the ws6 and keep it stock and drive it for fun. Or, dont buy an fbody and use it toward a zo6. Thats what im getting out of this.

UPDATE

I got all of the information on what was replaced about 15mins ago. What do you think?

This was all done January 27 of 2011 and he got the car back in February. He still has the receipt that shows all of this.

4 new Goodyear tires ($927) Power steering and lines replaced, replaced broken Pcv pipe, spark plugs and wires maintenance, replaced steering gear and outer tie rod ends, replaced water pump, repaired wiring harness, fuel injector service and throttle body service. Cleared ses light and everything running normal.

Total on receipt for all of this maintenance was $5,598.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

thats not sa bad price at all. 6000$ is fair if everything is said as is.
i own a ultra clean 99 black m6 with low miles, garage kept, all stock. i restored it back to stock. its not even a ws6. and i would not sell it for 6000$
im asking more. it will stay garaged if dont get what im asking.
but mine has way less miles, everything operates correct. has newer motor with even less miles than the body.
im surprised the owner is letting go for so low a price. car looks to be in very good condition.
i would buy it. if was me. good luck
Old 04-11-2012, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NemeSS
thats not sa bad price at all. 6000$ is fair if everything is said as is.
i own a ultra clean 99 black m6 with low miles, garage kept, all stock. i restored it back to stock. its not even a ws6. and i would not sell it for 6000$
im asking more. it will stay garaged if dont get what im asking.
but mine has way less miles, everything operates correct. has newer motor with even less miles than the body.
im surprised the owner is letting go for so low a price. car looks to be in very good condition.
i would buy it. if was me. good luck
It's definitely a nice piece of mind that these things were taken care of, but 145,000 miles is a lot. Although, $5500 in maintenance is also a lot, lol.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

my 00 ws6 has 230k miles on stock motor. stock longblock. i put in used set of pp duals, tsp pushrods. fast intake, ftp lid, maf,ftra new plugs,wires, tune.
i also installed new ff. car had spec clutch on it. didnt drip or leak anything. i found receipts where previous owner got service at walmart,jiffy lube and kwik kar.
car runs strong as fack, even with all those miles. i got car in december. it was completely stock when i got it. previous owner didnt abuse it much. just drove that **** everywhere.
all cylinders were strong. did cranking compression and leak down test.
ive put maybe 6k miles on it since.
dont be fooled by high miles. if the car was well taken care of. it will show.
perhaps have car tested. if feel uncomfortable about high miles,
i guarantee that a zo6 will be just as abused or high miles if was owned by an enthusiast. i prefer buying completely stock as possible cars.
motors are easy to replace in these cars. and so many options. ive personally have never cared for the hi miles. since every fbody ive owned eventually gets new motors or parts.
i keep the low mile ta stored since i know many folks prefer to purchase low mile reliable, good to go, good as new cars. and thats what car is.
if something happens to my ws6. i will just fix it.
even my ss is on its 3rd motor, now.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:51 AM
Launching!

you buy this thing yet? :-)
Old 04-12-2012, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by oberth1
you buy this thing yet? :-)
Lol, nope. Saw it again today for the second time. Cool guy, we get along pretty well.

We drove to advanced auto and got the check engine light run. It said replace catalytic converter. I looked under the car and didn't see one. He has a y-pipe going into a single pipe, then splits into a flowmaster muffler. I assume that's normal for the light to be on.

Clutch engaged around the middle and I chirped second gear with him in the car. I let the car sit for 10mins, revved it and a little smoke came out. Then, I drove to advanced and as soon as we got back I had him rev it to 4500 and no smoke at all? Not sure what's going on with that.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the smoke is from valve seals most likely... He didnt know the cat was gone?
Old 04-12-2012, 06:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ANTICOP RAM AIR
the smoke is from valve seals most likely... He didnt know the cat was gone?
Dude, he didn't know what a catalytic converter was. He said he got exhaust when he first got it and went to a shop and they said that setup would make it sound good. They also suggested 3inch tips which is why he has that...

If it's from the valve seals shouldn't it always smoke? If not, I just won't buy it. I had a 91 camaro in high school with bad valve seals and it started smoking so much when it started. I made clouds, lol.

I took these today.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 169 Likes on 151 Posts

The maintenance price may seem high because he put off getting it done and now he did it all at once to sell it. If you drive a car it will eventually need some parts replaced. I think that's a fair price and the car looks beautiful from the pictures.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:48 PM
On The Tree

So, I went against it...

After hearing the negative feedback I think I would have a hard time selling it. Someone would probably offer me 4500 when it got to 150,000. It just doesn't seem worth it because a larger margin of people think it's too many miles, although they were highway. I know people would stay away.

I want it, but suppose this is the better way to think.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

so are you looking for a car to keep and enjoy? or something you think you can make a profit on and sell later on?
sadly these cars will just diminish in value over time. unless 20-30 yrs. from now they become like the 1st gens.
ive always looked for fbodys that need work.
so i can repair and build em myself. these cars are easy to work on and make fast. and parts are relatively easy to come by. if you just want a fun cruiser, that is low miles, retains value and has no issues then prolly need look into a base corvette with low miles and almost no mods, but prolly wont be nothing under 15k$.
all the z06 and even frc ive found and thought about buying had many miles and or issues and have been beat on. the driveline parts for corvettes are significantly higher priced and more difficult to work on without a lift.
the vettes do seem to retain a lil better value. but ive found out that its not as easy to work on them as an fbody. my uncle owns a 98c5. i built engine for, hotparts and turbo exhaust system,cold side. intank fuel pump, clutch install,etc. he paid for the parts. i did all the labor. without a lift.

Quick Reply: Should I buy the ws6?