What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Should I buy the ws6?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found another car I'm interested in, but not sure if it's worth it. What do you think?

Car still has stock clutch!!

2000 6spd Trans am Ws6, original owner, white with the black stripes, new tires, leather with engraved Pontiac and bird emblem, 146,500 miles, small tear in leather, paint has small chips from highway driving, but overall very good. The decal stripe that goes over the top is slightly peeling due to heat and being original. Car is completely stock except for flowmaster exhaust...I can't believe it's all stock. Everything works except the stock radio. Plays cd's but the display is screwed up. I would need another one. Both lights also make a grinding noise when being closed. I'll need two headlight gears.

He is asking $7200 obo. If I got him down to $6500 should I go for it, or pass because of the miles? I won't be driving it much, it will be a second car for the occasional weekend.

Thanks in advance!

This isn't looking good, lol. Bad buy?
Old 04-10-2012, 02:59 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tough call. That's not too bad to have a real 6 speed WS6. I was thinking around $5500-$6500. How long have you been looking around?
Old 04-10-2012, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1 Melly
Tough call. That's not too bad to have a real 6 speed WS6. I was thinking around $5500-$6500. How long have you been looking around?
For a while. It just seems like the mileage gets higher and people who have under 100,000 ask 12,000. It's a big price difference.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

just think if you mod it , rear end could go , clutch , trans synchros , any number of nickel and dime things. Id feel better at 5500-6000
Old 04-10-2012, 03:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
just think if you mod it , rear end could go , clutch , trans synchros , any number of nickel and dime things. Id feel better at 5500-6000
I agree. Should I just offer 5500, but take 6000?
Old 04-10-2012, 03:50 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if its a overall good car 6 isnt bad, you will always be able to get your money back out of it, honest if you plan to mod etc, the best thing you can buy is a roller, i really wish i would have just bought a roller, i have seen a few of them with rearends and complete suspension ,perfect paint,int go for under 4 grand, put a good motor ,trans in there and you have a badass car done pretty cheap depending on what you go with motor wise, is this a car you plan to mod/race/etc?dont let miles scare you, yes alot of these cars have lived very hard lives, but if it has been taken care of i wouldnt be scared of it,
Old 04-10-2012, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

Here is an update. I got him down to $6000...

I'll try and show a picture.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:17 PM
TECH Addict

Honestly, the WS6 is overrated... it you just want it to have a "real ws6" then thats all you man... I got mine for 4800 with 142k on the clock 2 years ago... It no longer has the Hood, rims or suspension that make it a WS6 anymore so what was the point.. haha. Id say you can do better but some areas just charge more than in others.... bring him $5500, I bet he takes it....

Also remember, you do NOT know how well it was taken care of... dont believe a word he says, ask to see his ID and see if it matches the title... assume the car has had the **** beat out of it because it most likely has.... At that mileage, things start to go... steering rack, alternator, waterpump, tranny and rear (especially with a 6speed).. they are all worn pretty good Im sure...

What is the oil pressure at warm idle? Does he have any receipts for maintenance? Look at his driveway, does it have oil spots? Be cautious, these cars to fetch a pretty penny when theyre truly babied and in perfect working order, problem is, MOST HAVE HAD THE **** BEAT OUT OF THEM...

Good luck bro...
Old 04-10-2012, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ANTICOP RAM AIR
Honestly, the WS6 is overrated... it you just want it to have a "real ws6" then thats all you man... I got mine for 4800 with 142k on the clock 2 years ago... It no longer has the Hood, rims or suspension that make it a WS6 anymore so what was the point.. haha. Id say you can do better but some areas just charge more than in others.... bring him $5500, I bet he takes it....

Also remember, you do NOT know how well it was taken care of... dont believe a word he says, ask to see his ID and see if it matches the title... assume the car has had the **** beat out of it because it most likely has.... At that mileage, things start to go... steering rack, alternator, waterpump, tranny and rear (especially with a 6speed).. they are all worn pretty good Im sure...

What is the oil pressure at warm idle? Does he have any receipts for maintenance? Look at his driveway, does it have oil spots? Be cautious, these cars to fetch a pretty penny when theyre truly babied and in perfect working order, problem is, MOST HAVE HAD THE **** BEAT OUT OF THEM...

Good luck bro...
I did most of these things. No oil spots, motor has not even been cleaned. He definitely waxes the outside and i checked that he is the original owner. The car still has the stock shifter in it and nothing is aftermarket. It just doesn't seem like it could have been beaten on. It doesn't even rattle while you're driving it. I also made tight u-turns to check for any noises and nothing. No stains on the carpet either.

The guy is married and in the military, He's getting rid of the car because he's moving to Alaska. He doesn't want to get rid of it, but said he spoke with his dad and it's more logical to sell it. If he's lieing, this is one hell of a story.

I also saw coast guard stuff all in his garage and license plate. Doesn't seem like a liar, but who knows.

Here is the car.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:55 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looks clean and well kept just look everything over since its a 2000.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by adamantium
looks clean and well kept just look everything over since its a 2000.
I agree. I think i should take it to a shop. Especially since the check engine light is on. The car has exhaust and i think it may be an 02 sensor? But still, maybe i should get it checked.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hard to say, they sell differently in different areas. I sold my Red 01 WS6 M6 mostly stock with a few suspension mods and 88k miles for $7,000 about a year ago. It looks nice though, good luck!
Old 04-10-2012, 09:46 PM
TECH Addict

its a good looking car... try 5500, but it looks like its worth it.. get it on a lift just to be certain.. carfax wouldnt hurt but they arent always accurate....
Old 04-10-2012, 09:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WhiteLS1Formula
I agree. I think i should take it to a shop. Especially since the check engine light is on. The car has exhaust and i think it may be an 02 sensor? But still, maybe i should get it checked.
just make sure its an o2 sensor, also use it to your advantage to bring the price down because i wouldn't pay over 7k for an 00. I payed 7900 for my 02 with 98k. Over all the car looks very clean though. Pictures can be deceiving though, lol i learned this the hard way twice before i came across my car. ALSO when he turns the car on stand behind it to see if it smokes i read about 98-00 having shitty oil pumps and they usually lead to the bottom ends going. The 2 previous F-bodys i saw before the car i own now both smoked on start up they were both 98-00's. Good luck.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:17 PM
TECH Junkie

It always makes me cringe how much used LS1 (especially the WS6 cars) cars normally go for. I bought my '95 when it was 12 years old with 67k miles on it for $5800. That is a decent price for the car you're looking at, but if you're looking to mod it, Id just start with a base trans am or formula. The WS6 package is mostly an expensive cosmetic gimmick IMO
Old 04-11-2012, 07:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by adamantium
just make sure its an o2 sensor, also use it to your advantage to bring the price down because i wouldn't pay over 7k for an 00. I payed 7900 for my 02 with 98k. Over all the car looks very clean though. Pictures can be deceiving though, lol i learned this the hard way twice before i came across my car. ALSO when he turns the car on stand behind it to see if it smokes i read about 98-00 having shitty oil pumps and they usually lead to the bottom ends going. The 2 previous F-bodys i saw before the car i own now both smoked on start up they were both 98-00's. Good luck.
So, check for white smoke on startup?

I revved the car up while I was there and a white smoke came out shortly after start up. ( not while i started, but when i revved high ) After I drove it and did it again nothing came out though...I assumed it was because the car was sitting? Maybe not?

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
It always makes me cringe how much used LS1 (especially the WS6 cars) cars normally go for. I bought my '95 when it was 12 years old with 67k miles on it for $5800. That is a decent price for the car you're looking at, but if you're looking to mod it, Id just start with a base trans am or formula. The WS6 package is mostly an expensive cosmetic gimmick IMO
This will be a second car just sitting in the garage. I'm going to touch it up and make it look good. I just like having the real ws6, or real SS. I like the way they look and I found myself always wanting an SS when I had a Z28 and I wanted a Ws6 when I had a formula. It just looks better with the different front end, hood, side skirts, spoiler, etc.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So much hate for the ws6 lol. I bought my totally stock, perfect condition, no mods, 70,000 miles, 2000 ws6 for $8,500 this August. I think I just got lucky though. To ease your mind I know kids who have 130,000 on their ws6's who drive the snot out of them with big cams and nitrous and their cars are still running with nothing major ever going out. I think the car you're looking at SEEMS solid, just drive it first.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 532 Likes on 382 Posts

PASS. Too much mileage and an SES light plus ???? No thanks. Look around and don't settle. Even for a weekend car you don't aggravation or a 'money pit'.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NC01TA
PASS. Too much mileage and an SES light plus ???? No thanks. Look around and don't settle. Even for a weekend car you don't aggravation or a 'money pit'.
I'm starting to agree, but it drove really good...I just know the car wasnt beaten on because it has the stock clutch. No way that thing could last 140,000 miles without the clutch going out being beat on.

The check engine light bothers me, but honestly every Fbody I've owned had a check engine light and no problems, lol.

I guess what really attracted me to this car is that it has the stock clutch, no headers, or intake and paint looked good.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

IMO... If you're in no hurry wait and invest some time and find yourself a lower mile WS6. Even though it's just a WS6 it's safe to say it's just cosmetics with standard 17's wheels compared to the base Trans Am or Formula. Is there a big difference in performance stock wise? not really. And since this will be your fair weather 2nd car might as well find a WS6 that's been cared for unless your plans are to mod it.

Don't listen to the WS6 haters who'll some would wish they also had a WS6 or SS car. It's your desire and your money! Heck life is short so get what you want in life so long as you ain't hurting nobody to get there!

Quick Reply: Should I buy the ws6?