What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Should I buy the ws6?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NemeSS
so are you looking for a car to keep and enjoy? or something you think you can make a profit on and sell later on?
sadly these cars will just diminish in value over time. unless 20-30 yrs. from now they become like the 1st gens.
ive always looked for fbodys that need work.
so i can repair and build em myself. these cars are easy to work on and make fast. and parts are relatively easy to come by. if you just want a fun cruiser, that is low miles, retains value and has no issues then prolly need look into a base corvette with low miles and almost no mods, but prolly wont be nothing under 15k$.
all the z06 and even frc ive found and thought about buying had many miles and or issues and have been beat on. the driveline parts for corvettes are significantly higher priced and more difficult to work on without a lift.
the vettes do seem to retain a lil better value. but ive found out that its not as easy to work on them as an fbody. my uncle owns a 98c5. i built engine for, hotparts and turbo exhaust system,cold side. intank fuel pump, clutch install,etc. he paid for the parts. i did all the labor. without a lift.
I have two interests, and either would work.

My main goal is to buy something I can drive maybe once every two weeks for fun, or taking my gf out. No running it hard, just fixing things here and there to make it nicer then when I bought it. I assumed if I ever sold it I would at least get my money back doing this.

My second idea would be to buy a car that is already fast and take to the track every now and then and improve the body condition.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice car, but I think its price a little high for the milage
Old 04-14-2012, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Phil'sC5vette
Nice car, but I think its price a little high for the milage
I agree, but Kelly blue book said the WS6 was worth $7200 in "good condion".
Old 04-15-2012, 07:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 532 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteLS1Formula
I have two interests, and either would work.

My main goal is to buy something I can drive maybe once every two weeks for fun, or taking my gf out. No running it hard, just fixing things here and there to make it nicer then when I bought it. I assumed if I ever sold it I would at least get my money back doing this.
My second idea would be to buy a car that is already fast and take to the track every now and then and improve the body condition.
I underlined the above in your quote now that I see where you are coming from. BIG MISTAKE!! If you spend anything over $5,000 for that 150,000 miles car, you will most likely never see a dime back on anything you put into it. Please, for your own sake, read the numerous posts in this section about getting 'mod' money back or 'repair money' back. It doesn't happen or rarely does.. This has been a common theme for years and years now since the market tanked in '08. Very few are getting any money back that they put into their F-bodies. It's OK to lose money on a car you buy, everyone does, but limit the hit that you will take at selling time. Price guides are wonderful tools but they never factor in 'future' repairs or needs in their pricing.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NC01TA
I underlined the above in your quote now that I see where you are coming from. BIG MISTAKE!! If you spend anything over $5,000 for that 150,000 miles car, you will most likely never see a dime back on anything you put into it. Please, for your own sake, read the numerous posts in this section about getting 'mod' money back or 'repair money' back. It doesn't happen or rarely does.. This has been a common theme for years and years now since the market tanked in '08. Very few are getting any money back that they put into their F-bodies. It's OK to lose money on a car you buy, everyone does, but limit the hit that you will take at selling time. Price guides are wonderful tools but they never factor in 'future' repairs or needs in their pricing.
I agree and I decided against the car yesterday. Thanks for the help.

It was hard not buying it, lol. I wanted a manual ws6 and since the guy had a receipt for $5598 in vehicle repairs from last year I thought it would have been a solid choice.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 532 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteLS1Formula
I agree and I decided against the car yesterday. Thanks for the help.

It was hard not buying it, lol. I wanted a manual ws6 and since the guy had a receipt for $5598 in vehicle repairs from last year I thought it would have been a solid choice.
You are more than welcome. You will find a nice ride without the headaches. That repair bill you mentioned sure makes my point
Best of luck with your search!

Quick Reply: Should I buy the ws6?