What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Broken 04 V, what's it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 04:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by serik21
dont listen to kciaccio, its the dealers job to rip you off on trade in/buying your car
id list it for 13. if you think about it there are regular cts with rebuilt titles being sold for 12k
Whatever dude...You go buy a salvage car and put your kids in it.

And by the way, what people are trying to get and what they really get are two different things. There are plenty of people who sell their car right out to us because they know they have a piece of **** or have tried and failed on ebay and craigslist.

Just trying to warn other idiots who are thinking about buying a salvage title car and what they are in for.

Only a real idiot would pay 12k for a salvage cts in my opinion.

Salvage title cars are good for two things, parts cars and track only stripped down cars.

Last edited by kciaccio; 06-10-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

and thats not true about half price the value lost according to when I totaled it was...I got 13300 due to prior salvage history and it was apraised at 18200. In all honesty about 30 pecent is whats lost. Also if you have insurance run the damn thing into a wall, but you didn't hear that from me... And the one on ebay is wrecked with a salvage history over 9 now so... Remember its what people are willing to pay, they are not buying it to resell it like a dealership to make bank, they are the ones putting that extra 20% in their pocket hense the half value remark earlier

Last edited by kl2onik; 06-10-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kciaccio
Whatever dude...You go buy a salvage car and put your kids in it.

And by the way, what people are trying to get and what they really get are two different things. There are plenty of people who sell their car right out to us because they know they have a piece of **** or have tried and failed on ebay and craigslist.

Just trying to warn other idiots who are thinking about buying a salvage title car and what they are in for.

Only a real idiot would pay 12k for a salvage cts in my opinion.

Salvage title cars are good for two things, parts cars and track only stripped down cars.
and theft as well as hail damage automatically go salvage just an fyi, making them just as safe as any other car on the road...but you work at a dealership what do i know
Old 06-10-2012, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How is a rebuilt car automatically a piece of ****? That's funny. My car is somewhat similar to the one in question. I bought it over 4 years ago with an R title and 76,000 miles for $18k (this was when they were still going for close to $30k). 40k miles and 30ish track days later, and I've yet to really have any problems related to the reason the car was totalled in the first place. That said, I wouldn't really expect to get any more than $11-12k for it. Best bet would to be to pick up a decent used motor somewhere, swap that in and part out your car. Just my thought though.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
Thompson Motorsports will easily get you a forged short block in your budget.. Or Kyle offers many stock rebuilds, rebuilds with stock rods/forged pistons and everything else inbetween.

PM coming your way.
I was hoping to talk to someone with experience with TMS... PM me if you have any info. I'm hoping for an LS3 swap this winter.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kl2onik
and thats not true about half price the value lost according to when I totaled it was...I got 13300 due to prior salvage history and it was apraised at 18200. In all honesty about 30 pecent is whats lost. Also if you have insurance run the damn thing into a wall, but you didn't hear that from me... And the one on ebay is wrecked with a salvage history over 9 now so... Remember its what people are willing to pay, they are not buying it to resell it like a dealership to make bank, they are the ones putting that extra 20% in their pocket hense the half value remark earlier
The two dealers I worked for didn't look to make bank. They cannot even retail them.
We send them to auction. Not to "Make Bank". We leave that to the buy here pay here lots who would buy them at auction and let them sell it to idiots with bad credit and sense to buy these.

We are not interested in selling those kinds of cars at our dealership.

The only thing you have right is you got a good chance at suckering someone who does not know the difference between a blue title and a salvage title.

They will however will get a sobering experience when they walk into a dealership with that title in hand and get a trade in offer. Most poor schmucks I have delivered this news too had no idea what a salvage title meant.

Plus try to finance a salvage title car. That's right you can't. For a reason.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by UnsafeAtAnySpd
How is a rebuilt car automatically a piece of ****? That's funny. My car is somewhat similar to the one in question. I bought it over 4 years ago with an R title and 76,000 miles for $18k (this was when they were still going for close to $30k). 40k miles and 30ish track days later, and I've yet to really have any problems related to the reason the car was totalled in the first place. That said, I wouldn't really expect to get any more than $11-12k for it. Best bet would to be to pick up a decent used motor somewhere, swap that in and part out your car. Just my thought though.
18k retail sounds pretty close to 1/2 of 30k like I said earlier.

Not all cars are totaled the same way.
Depends on insurance company. With that said, I have seen some pretty fucked up cars requiring 15k in repairs that they would not total. If I bought a 2012 and someone hit me requiring 12k in repairs and the insurance company did not total it out I would be pissed and sue them for at least diminished value and then sell it.

Cars that are totaled due to flooding might appear fine at first but corrosion in areas where water should never had gone will catch up to it eventually.

Last edited by kciaccio; 06-10-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats why I never finance, not stupid enough to pay extra money to idiots trying to make money off my purchase. Have bought every car straight up since I was 16...never get myself into buying things I can't afford unlike most people in this country... If I have a g in my pocket thats the car I will buy for a g not a penny more thats why any time I see a great deal at a salvage I jump on it, broken windshield and sunroof, theft, hail damage. And the title never says salvage it will say rebuilt weather its hail or a total front end.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1BADCTS
I was hoping to talk to someone with experience with TMS... PM me if you have any info. I'm hoping for an LS3 swap this winter.
Still dont understand why people bother spending money on an ls3 swap when for a few extra thousand the ls7 is out there with much greater potential all around. But then again I don't have the cash for even the ls3 at this point so i admire your effort and love your car
Old 06-10-2012, 05:43 PM
Launching!

Thats why I never finance, not stupid enough to pay extra money to idiots trying to make money off my purchase. Have bought every car straight up since I was 16...never get myself into buying things I can't afford unlike most people in this country... If I have a g in my pocket thats the car I will buy for a g not a penny more thats why any time I see a great deal at a salvage I jump on it, broken windshield and sunroof, theft, hail damage. And the title never says salvage it will say rebuilt weather its hail or a total front end.
That's the thing isn't it? You don't know which of the two it is unless you know what to look for or have access to the insurance data base.

Bottom line is most people looking at buying a car will not even consider buying a salvage/rebuilt title. So when you are looking to sell it, your pool of possible buyers are very small hence it's limited value.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kciaccio
That's the thing isn't it? You don't know which of the two it is unless you know what to look for or have access to the insurance data base.

Bottom line is most people looking at buying a car will not even consider buying a salvage/rebuilt title. So when you are looking to sell it, your pool of possible buyers are very small hence it's limited value.
I agree they are harder to sell but there will always be someone looking for a bargain
Old 06-10-2012, 06:18 PM
Launching!

I agree they are harder to sell but there will always be someone looking for a bargain
This is true, but do you think 12k for a 8 year old "v" with a fucked up engine, over 100k and a branded title is a good bargain?
Old 06-10-2012, 06:20 PM
TECH Resident

You guys forget there are plenty of cars the have been rebuilt with a clean title just because some guy had no issuance wrecked it and sold it cheap it was fixed and sold with a clean title which is worse then any rebuilt title car out there.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:21 PM
Launching!

and theft as well as hail damage automatically go salvage just an fyi, making them just as safe as any other car on the road...but you work at a dealership what do i know
Not always. I have seen plenty of hail damaged repaired without it being totaled. Your statement is only true to a brand new car never titled. Second, insurance companies don't pay on stolen cars for 30 days. If the car is found within that time frame and is repairable, it is and is not branded. NEXT
Old 06-10-2012, 06:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know a clean title really means nothing...... Other than nothing has been reported to insurance to deem it totalled. A guy could crash the car destroy it and repair it on his dime and it would still be a clean title.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by serik21
You guys forget there are plenty of cars the have been rebuilt with a clean title just because some guy had no issuance wrecked it and sold it cheap it was fixed and sold with a clean title which is worse then any rebuilt title car out there.
This is true, that's why they have people like me at dealerships.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:27 PM
Launching!

I agree with you to a point.

Most of my cars have been cash cars.

There are plenty of smart people with cash on hand that still finance cars for good reasons. Some being 0% financing on some cars. Some lease in their companies name and use as a tax write off.

If you have good credit, and I don't mean a 800 score just low 700's will get you 2.5 to 3.5% financing on a used car, lets say your money is making you 6%. Then why pull it to avoid 2.5 to 3.5% interest.

Lets say your wife has fairly long commute to work in heavy traffic, do you want her to drive some 3k piece of **** that will eventually break down on the highway? Possible with your kids in the car?

I will pay the 0 to 3.5% to make sure she is driving something nice and can afford to make payments on. JMO.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Agreed with above. It also helps to build credit for those who have little or no history. I don't mind paying a little toward the financier to have a nicer car than I could have afforded that year and while building my credit for future endeavors such as property or business loans. Also paying more per month than requires helps to keep that cost down if you have it go toward your principle.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Agreed with above. It also helps to build credit for those who have little or no history. I don't mind paying a little toward the financier to have a nicer car than I could have afforded that year and while building my credit for future endeavors such as property or business loans. Also paying more per month than requires helps to keep that cost down if you have it go toward your principle.
More good points on why financing can be ok.

I find it funny when people bitch and moan about paying some interest. They are providing a service just like somebody who sells you 2k shocks. They are allowing you to take an a pretty expensive asset from somebody and let you do with it however you want and risk you following through on paying them back over a course of years.

If you are paying a lot for this service you only have yourself to blame, because with good credit those rates are more than reasonable. If you don't think so, maybe you should give 30k to someone you don't know and get only a 2.5% to 3.5% return on that money as they are paying you back in small monthly payment.

Last edited by kciaccio; 06-10-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd say 10 tops as well. Salvage title and body mileage with a bad bottom end are about as bad as you can get lol

Quick Reply: Broken 04 V, what's it worth?