What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Broken 04 V, what's it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 11:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reason I started this argument is the fact that dealers buy a crap load of cars at Manheim auto auction every thursday and friday, which happens to be 5 minutes from my house as well as be the biggest dealer auction in the US. I have personally purchased over a dozen cars there and returned 4 of them within 48 hours because they had all sorts of issues you would only realize once you drive them a good bit. Also a bunch of them have had body work done to fenders, doors, and q-panels yet somehow they all have a clean title. Clean or salvage its about what has happened to the car in its history not about the title. All these dealers are buying these cars and pawning them off with a clean title to people. If a car was in an accident and nothing was ever reported( as in the owner fixed it under the table) there won't be a history report at all of that incident for any car buyer or dealer for that matter. Getting back to the main point, I agree with all regarding resale value being an issue, but you also have to realize you are buying it for a fraction to begin with; however, I totally disagree about your safety remark when it comes to salvage vehicles.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just to prove my point how's that for a clean title http://www.copart.com/c2/homeSearch....SEARCH_RESULTS
Old 06-11-2012, 07:34 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kl2onik
just to prove my point how's that for a clean title http://www.copart.com/c2/homeSearch....SEARCH_RESULTS
Ok, and this is what autocheck says on this car.

2/15/2011 MI
State Agency FRONT IMPACT WITH ANOTHER VEHICLE (Case #:8228630)
12/15/2011 MI
Police Report ACCIDENT REPORTED (Case #:110110716)
12/15/2011 MI
State Agency AIR BAG DEPLOYED
MODERATE TO SEVERE DAMAGE REPORTED

At MOST dealerships these reports are shared with the customer. Ours actually has it listed with EVERY car we sell.

Now Carfax

12/15/2011 Michigan
Damage Report Accident reported
Involving front impact
It hit another motor vehicle
Moderate to Severe damage reported
Vehicle towed
Airbag deployed
CARFAX Airbag Tips

Would you buy it?

AND it will have a salvage title once someone buys it from Coparts which is a salvage company.
http://www.salvage-cars-for-sale.inf...11-MTczNDAyOTI

So your argument is completely wrong.

Last edited by kciaccio; 06-11-2012 at 07:51 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RADEoN
wow that's a great idea punishment cycle. that way when i rebuild it, i won't have heads, and if i sell it, i won't have heads.
No need for sarcasm.. I do have my stock heads that were just freshened up that I would have worked in the deal. Don't be a dick
Old 06-11-2012, 10:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

We were talking clean vs dirty don't change the argument. My point was that every clean car may have a hidden past such as this one, not weather I would buy it, but yeah some tool would buy that with a clean title vs radians with a dirty one which may have had a less severe history. So going back to your unsafe comment not all your clean titles are very safe as well, unless you are the original owner dealerships can blow smoke up peoples a$$ all day. So don't call salvage vehicles unsafe unless you have a history for that vehicle to back it up. And yeah I would still buy a hail damage total with a salvage history vs this crap with a clean title and feel much safer driving my vehicle with a few paint flaws then someone else who buys this car and throws their clean title around in my face. That was my arguement
Old 06-11-2012, 11:03 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kl2onik
We were talking clean vs dirty don't change the argument. My point was that every clean car may have a hidden past such as this one, not weather I would buy it, but yeah some tool would buy that with a clean title vs radians with a dirty one which may have had a less severe history. So going back to your unsafe comment not all your clean titles are very safe as well, unless you are the original owner dealerships can blow smoke up peoples a$$ all day. So don't call salvage vehicles unsafe unless you have a history for that vehicle to back it up. And yeah I would still buy a hail damage total with a salvage history vs this crap with a clean title and feel much safer driving my vehicle with a few paint flaws then someone else who buys this car and throws their clean title around in my face. That was my arguement
It is not going to have a clean title. Coparts is a salvage company. Once it gets in their hands on it is in a salvage data base and Coparts is required to issue a salvage title to whoever buys that car you are parading here.

Last edited by kciaccio; 06-11-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

who cares ..if its salvage and you dont want it ,dont buy it.. arguing about it is pointless. some people who are mechanically incline can tell if a car is all there and save some money. others who are not should of course buy a certified car.

just because a car was in a wreck doesnt mean its junk..thats why body shops are in business..besides 80% of all cars on the road have had some sort of accident. its life, **** happens ,move on!

Last edited by punishmentcycle; 06-11-2012 at 12:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-11-2012, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wouldn't get pricing advice from anybody that works for a dealership, no offense kciaccio but the private party market is a completely different ball game (I worked at a dealership for three years before I started wholesaling auction cars on my own). List it for $13k on craigslist, e-bay and all the autotrader sites you can think of. Give it 2 weeks, no bites then drop it $1,000. If you aren't in a hurry to sell then just keep doing that until you hit a price that someone bites. There is always someone out there willing to bite if you are patient.

I've sold cars FOR $3,500 that dealers offered me $900 on trade. Dealers quote what they can get back at auction, they aren't interested in selling damaged cars they just auction them off to guys like me immediately. I then buy it for their "half price", mark it up and resell on the private market for a profit. Dealerships have high overhead and commissions to cover as well as they don't want to deal with customers who buy a damaged car and come back with complaints and warranty claims, hence the small markup isn't a good return on investment.

If it were me I would sell and move up to a car without a salvage title, best return on your investment. Any more money you put in the car is going to just be throwing it down the drain. But that $4k towards a newer car and then start saving for modding the new car! At least you retain some value that way.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:19 PM
Launching!

If it were me I would sell and move up to a car without a salvage title, best return on your investment. Any more money you put in the car is going to just be throwing it down the drain. But that $4k towards a newer car and then start saving for modding the new car! At least you retain some value that way.

Strange advice for someone who likes salvaged titled cars.

I wouldn't get pricing advice from anybody that works for a dealership, no offense kciaccio

Ya, what do I know? I only get paid 100k year to buy cars using wholesale data the common person cannot see, you are right.

My point was to give people who have no experience at what value a salvage title really has. If you are just a hands on gear head who plans on just driving the **** out of the car, than those types are cars are for you.

To me having to pay 12k cash for an 04 v with salvage title a motor knock is a foolish investment of 12k.

I have to deliver the bad news to these people, when they come in with a rebuilt title that people like you bamboozle into buying which are usually kids and minorities.

Last edited by kciaccio; 06-11-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kciaccio

Strange advice for someone who likes salvaged titled cars.

I wouldn't get pricing advice from anybody that works for a dealership, no offense kciaccio

Ya, what do I know? I only get paid 100k year to buy cars using wholesale data the common person cannot see, you are right.

My point was to give people who have no experience at what value a salvage title really has. If you are just a hands on gear head who plans on just driving the **** out of the car, than those types are cars are for you.

To me having to pay 12k cash for an 04 v with salvage title a motor knock is a foolish investment of 12k.

I have to deliver the bad news to these people, when they come in with a rebuilt title that people like you bamboozle into buying which are usually kids and minorities.
Bamboozle LMFAO. And this comes from a dealers mouth.. Righttttt. Nobody cares what u make or do for a living.. Since u started posting to the OP you have been down right disrespectful just because the guy is trying to sell a salvage car.. DEALERS are the real crooks!! And the reason u make ur money. Tht my friend I know from experience so like I said MOVE ON
Old 06-11-2012, 09:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
Bamboozle LMFAO. And this comes from a dealers mouth.. Righttttt. Nobody cares what u make or do for a living.. Since u started posting to the OP you have been down right disrespectful just because the guy is trying to sell a salvage car.. DEALERS are the real crooks!! And the reason u make ur money. Tht my friend I know from experience so like I said MOVE ON
I have made my point.

Why are you so defensive about me educating people on how REAL dealerships will react when someone brings in a salvage title. Just because a few of you have flipped a couple cars does not make you pros. Not everybody here knows most dealerships cannot resell them retail and are forced just to auction them to dealers who can, which by the way is a very small percentage.

Last edited by kciaccio; 06-11-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Plus try to finance a salvage title car. That's right you can't. For a reason.
I did. Bank didn't care and neither did my insurance company.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just get iritated at people that deem a salvage unsafe. If it has frame damage or suspension/drive terrain maybe, and even thats debatable granted on who fixed it. Other than that they are just like every car on the road that has been patched up. Unless you are the original owner noone trully knows what they are buying based on carfax or other reports.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:58 AM
Launching!

I just get iritated at people that deem a salvage unsafe.

I will give you that. Some people will do things just to get out of a car. I heard stories of people pouring water inside their car and then making a flood claim. Like someone mentioned hail damage on a brand new car. Theft and recovered after 30 days when the insurance company paid out already.

But on the flip side, if the car is only a year or two old and has accident on the report...that is serious. Insurance companies in general will not total a car like that out unless repairs exceed 50% of the cars value. If you have a 30k car they will put 15k in repairs before totaling it. That is a salvage car I would not touch with a ten foot pole.

I have also appraised cars that have been cut and half and two cars welded together. I have only ran across this a couple times but they are out there.

Interesting story

http://www.kgw.com/news/consumer/Bew...120909699.html
Old 06-12-2012, 07:03 AM

Cool

Whatever dude...You go buy a salvage car and put your kids in it.

And by the way, what people are trying to get and what they really get are two different things. There are plenty of people who sell their car right out to us because they know they have a piece of **** or have tried and failed on ebay and craigslist.

Just trying to warn other idiots who are thinking about buying a salvage title car and what they are in for.

Only a real idiot would pay 12k for a salvage cts in my opinion.

Salvage title cars are good for two things, parts cars and track only stripped down cars.
i bought a salvage car recently from these guys
i did not have time to deal with transportation so they arranged it for me fast

http://www.easyexport.us/

it was quite good experience
i repaired it and sold for cash
Old 06-12-2012, 08:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have also appraised cars that have been cut and half and two cars welded together. I have only ran across this a couple times but they are out there.
Sounds like a recent project on the forum...
Old 06-12-2012, 09:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Sounds like a recent project on the forum...
lol, I think I know the one you are talking about..

One of the ones I remember doing was a Dodge Neon. Seems like a lot of work for such a piece of ****. lol

Imagine putting your wife and kids in that? yikes...
Old 06-12-2012, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have made my point.

Why are you so defensive about me educating people on how REAL dealerships will react when someone brings in a salvage title. Just because a few of you have flipped a couple cars does not make you pros. Not everybody here knows most dealerships cannot resell them retail and are forced just to auction them to dealers who can, which by the way is a very small percentage.
i got defensive because you were ripping this guy pretty bad for just trying to sell the car. there are always crooks and conn men out there, alot more than honest people!
Old 06-12-2012, 11:19 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
i got defensive because you were ripping this guy pretty bad for just trying to sell the car. there are always crooks and conn men out there, alot more than honest people!
True enough. I apologize that I came across that way.

I feel bad about that and the situation he is in with that car.

I guess I have been jaded on salvage titles. I have just met to many customers who claim to have no clue they were sold a salvage title.

They did not read the paperwork they were signing when purchasing the car.

They received their title months later and never looked at it or know the difference even if they did.

It's just sad.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

True enough. I apologize that I came across that way.

I feel bad about that and the situation he is in with that car.

I guess I have been jaded on salvage titles. I have just met to many customers who claim to have no clue they were sold a salvage title.

They did not read the paperwork they were signing when purchasing the car.

They received their title months later and never looked at it or know the difference even if they did.

It's just sad.
it takes a man to apoligize, especially on the net.. so you sir are a stand up guy in my book.
it is sad, seems now a days nobody wants to work for a living...they either collect from the tax payers or scam people out of their money. this world is getting more ruthless everyday

Quick Reply: Broken 04 V, what's it worth?