What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

00 Ls1 full motor, 87k, $4k, should i buy it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 05:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 Ls1 full motor, 87k, $4k, should i buy it?

I've been looking to sell my V6 camaro purchase my first Ls1.. After debating, I decided that since I have aftermarket wheels, an ss hood, and t-tops already equipped on my vehicle, to just go ahead and buy the motor, trans, wiring harness and rearend and swap it into my v6 frame.. I know this route is difficult but I'll have something to do all winter plus it'll give me an excuse to go ahead with suspension upgrades and cam/head/motor work etc.

My question is; is $4000 a good price for 2000 camaro ss drivetrain....k member complete engine ..6 speed trans..wire harness ..computer and a disc brake rear..has 87 k on it. I'll have the k member engine trans harness computer and rearend...and 6 sp pedals. I'm just curious about going prices on this grouping plus whether 87k miles on a motor is a mistake
Old 08-08-2012, 06:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

I might be interested in selling my dropout
Old 08-08-2012, 06:35 PM
Launching!

Consider this: $4k for donor parts, another $500 or so for odds and ends, plus your time.

What can you sell your v6 model for? At least $2000?

Sell your v6 and take the other $4500 and go look for a 2000ish z28 with less than 100k miles. Much less trouble and issue for about the same money. Better yet, buy the z28 and swap over your items from the v6 model. THEN sell the v6 model. Much less hassle that way.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:44 PM
Teching In

Good input guys. The only problem is that for a t-top Z, manual trans, in good shape, under 100k miles I'm looking at a $10,000 car.. If I was to sell mine for HOPEFULLY around $4k, I'm still $2k short, I'm out a set of clean wheels and an ss hood, and I'd still have to pull the motor for mod purposes. Should I still consider buying a full car? I HAVE to have a t-top z and is HAS to be man trans, and I want a low mileage platform
Old 08-10-2012, 07:05 PM
Teching In

I say do the swap and take the time to clean your car up as you take everything apart. You also get to learn a lot as you do the swap.
I think $4000 is a good price for all those parts you are getting but the only thing I would do is get the transmission rebuilt by somebody reputable. With that many miles you might as well do it while it out of the car.
I am doing the same swap you are doing except mine is a Firebird and it is auto. Now I wish I did a manual swap but it's too late now since I have most of the parts.
If you have any questions about the swap send me a PM as I have learned a decent amount since starting this project
Old 08-18-2012, 01:21 AM
Teching In

^ this guy pretty much said it.. I just want to add a few things..
1. I'd clean the **** out of the engine bay, and paint the damn thing while your in there..
2. If your not too experienced with swaps, get it in and running first.. Then drop it back out for rebuild..
Why? So you don't overwhelm yourself. When it's in and running great, and you go play in it for a day or so.. You will realize it was all worth it.. Dumping money into something and not playing with it can suck..

Quick Reply: 00 Ls1 full motor, 87k, $4k, should i buy it?