What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Would you buy this car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012 | 01:55 PM
Launching!

Default Would you buy this car?

So I used to own a 1997 Z28 with heads, cam, full exhaust and all the goodies but I sold it a couple years ago. Fast forward to a few weeks ago my wife decided she wanted a "sports" car. I laughed because she wanted to trade her nearly new LTZ Malibu in for a 5th gen Camaro... not even an SS. We drove them but the only SS was a 6 spd (she can't handle the clutch) so I drove that. She fell in love. I laughed at her nicely and told her she would kill herself in that car. I suggest if she was to kill herself in something like that then she might as well do it in style with a WS6 T/A... she agreed with a little persuasion. Well we found some but I haven't priced them in a few years and I was a little taken back by the asking prices. People are wanting $10k for cars with 120k on them. If a guy wants one with less than 80k miles then be prepared to drop $15k easy. We finally found a guy with a 2002 Sebring Silver WS6 bone stock 6 spd for $10k and 120k on the clock... he might be willing to take $8500 and I thought was should jump on it. Now I must have an '01 or '02 which brings up the price some and I understand that. But for a well taken care of 2002 m6, black interior with no rips, no rust, no body or paint damage, no mods though still original clutch and fuel pump... would it be worth $8500? KBB says $9900 but a car is only worth what people are paying and I don't see people paying that... but maybe I'm wrong. What do you guys think? Sorry for the long winded intro!
Old 10-01-2012 | 03:00 PM
On The Tree

For reference I paid 22k for my 19k 1 of 24 Firehawk, Buddy paid 16 for his 02 ss with 40k and my other friend bought a 02 T/A for 13k with 50k miles.
Old 10-01-2012 | 03:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LopeyZ
So I used to own a 1997 Z28 with heads, cam, full exhaust and all the goodies but I sold it a couple years ago. Fast forward to a few weeks ago my wife decided she wanted a "sports" car. I laughed because she wanted to trade her nearly new LTZ Malibu in for a 5th gen Camaro... not even an SS. We drove them but the only SS was a 6 spd (she can't handle the clutch) so I drove that. She fell in love. I laughed at her nicely and told her she would kill herself in that car. I suggest if she was to kill herself in something like that then she might as well do it in style with a WS6 T/A... she agreed with a little persuasion. Well we found some but I haven't priced them in a few years and I was a little taken back by the asking prices. People are wanting $10k for cars with 120k on them. If a guy wants one with less than 80k miles then be prepared to drop $15k easy. We finally found a guy with a 2002 Sebring Silver WS6 bone stock 6 spd for $10k and 120k on the clock... he might be willing to take $8500 and I thought was should jump on it. Now I must have an '01 or '02 which brings up the price some and I understand that. But for a well taken care of 2002 m6, black interior with no rips, no rust, no body or paint damage, no mods though still original clutch and fuel pump... would it be worth $8500? KBB says $9900 but a car is only worth what people are paying and I don't see people paying that... but maybe I'm wrong. What do you guys think? Sorry for the long winded intro!
I sold an automatic 2002 WS6 with 116k miles for $7500 two years ago. And it had a brand new paint job! IMO $7500 is top dollar for this car.
Old 10-01-2012 | 04:19 PM
TECH Junkie
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by 18wheelsofsteel
I sold an automatic 2002 WS6 with 116k miles for $7500 two years ago. And it had a brand new paint job! IMO $7500 is top dollar for this car.
I agree completely. These cars, and most all cars for that matter, need things sooner than later after 100,000 miles and can become a real unenjoyable 'money pit'. Some owners do ask crazy prices for high mileage cars but they soon realize that they can't sell them. Definitely make offers on cars you like and you may get that phone call rather quickly.
I don't quite understand what cars you are looking at though. There are many quality very low mileage F-bodies for sale on ebay and www.autotrader.com right now. I just looked recently and you can get really sweet low mileage 2001 - 2002 one or two- owner cars for $17,000 or less. The owners ask more but you can get them for this price. If you were looking at new Camaros, then these rides should be in your price range. Don't buy trouble. Good luck with your search!

Last edited by NC01TA; 10-01-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-01-2012 | 04:27 PM
On The Tree

Wouldnt pay more than $8500 for it. Too many variables to really make the call from here. 'Good Luck!
Old 10-01-2012 | 05:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 18wheelsofsteel
So maybe add a grand for the 6spd and that would be in the ball park. I can't imagine a 2002 needed a new paint job though.

The owner said he would accept $8500 so I should go take a look at it... about a 2 hour drive. Last week I told him I would give him $8000 for it and he said no thanks. He said the SES light is on even after a few trips to the dealer about the problem so I will bring my scanner with me to see whats up with it. This guy admitted that he isn't real knowledgeable about cars so it could be something very simple. This car is really what I have been looking for expect that it has traction control but I can live with that.

Originally Posted by NC01TA
I agree completely. These cars, and most all cars for that matter, need things sooner than later after 100,000 miles and can become a real unenjoyable 'money pit'. Some owners do ask crazy prices for high mileage cars but they soon realize that they can't sell them. Definitely make offers on cars you like and you may get that phone call rather quickly.
I don't quite understand what cars you are looking at though. There are many quality very low mileage F-bodies for sale on ebay and www.autotrader.com right now. I just looked recently and you can get really sweet low mileage 2001 - 2002 one or two- owner cars for $17,000 or less. The owners ask more but you can get them for this price. If you were looking at new Camaros, then these rides should be in your price range. Don't buy trouble. Good luck with your search!
Deal with the 5 gen is my wife would trade in her car. I would rather own a 3rd vehicle and the thought of getting a gently used WS6 for around $7k was my plan but they don't seem to be priced quite that low.

Back in '01 I bought a loaded 97' Z28 with 60k miles for $11,000. That was a 4 year old car with half the miles on it of this WS6. Then in 2008 I sold that car for $7000 with tons of upgrades with 120k miles. I figured a WS6 or maybe T/A would follow the same depreciation curve. Granted the LS1 > LT1 and WS6 > Z28 in appearance but still... it's just an F-body.
Old 10-01-2012 | 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

I wouldn't even consider that for $8500 unless it was completely mint or a 9.5/10 WITH all receipts proving maintenance was way above average.

Sold my 93 Hardtop A4 T/a for $4500 without the cd player in August. Bone stock 104k, everything was good on the car, but the paint was faded and needed a paint job. Had new opti and a bunch of other maint. items done to it. I thought I was lucky to get $4,500. (Was my asking price as well.)

A few proper-priced T/A's / Camaros pop up from time to time. (<120k for 5-6k) Just keep waiting till you find the right one. With that in mind, wait until winter comes so prices will drop to an acceptable level.

Imo people price some of these cars like gold. I've seen 150k cars wanting 7-8k or even more. Just look on here, most of the cars are not selling due to wanting an arm and a leg for a basic car needing a lot of work done to them. I guess on top of that why would someone fly across states to get the same car they can find locally?

At the end of the day, its just an F-body, not a vette, viper, porsche, bmw, etc. These cars should not demand a premium price.

With the amount of future work needed on most that are likely not replaced or maintained; such as Rearends, auto trans rebuilds, window motors, headliners, dash pads, or an opti if an Lt1, its crazy to even think about dumping a huge sum of money into a car that will likely need alot of work done to bring it up to par with what you want to do to it.
Old 10-04-2012 | 01:55 PM
On The Tree
15 Year Member

well said guys
Old 10-04-2012 | 02:30 PM
TECH Addict

Sent you a pm
Old 10-09-2012 | 03:12 PM
Launching!

Got the car for $7500. It wasn't quite as clean as the guy said. In fact he knew so little about cars that he didn't notice the GMMG catback, shift light(which I ripped out) or SLP lid. Car has the Hurst shifter which feels nice, almost like my old Pro 5.0 which was great. Major problem was spider cracked front clip which he failed to mention and what sounds like a bad pinion gear. Also has a bad drivers cat that will throw a code until it gets hot. Guy was convinced the Last of the Breed badges meant it was one of the last 500 made... something the dealership told him... so he didn't want to come down because of that. But he ran Royal Purple motor oil in the thing so he bought into that hype which was good for the motor. It's in pretty nice shape for a 10 year old car though and I can't complain for what I paid.

Quick Reply: Would you buy this car?