What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Deal of the century? 2000 Firehawk

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 06:30 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Deal of the century? 2000 Firehawk

Okay guys. I should have been wearing a ski mask when I bought this car. Found the thing on Craigslist and committed to it within the hour. But I want all of your opinions... Just how good of a deal did I get? How much money do you guys think is tied up in this car? How much SHOULD it have cost?

2000 Firehawk- M6, Bright Red, 168,000 miles, clean title, no accidents

SLP build number 41/742

-MWC Fab 9"
  • 4.11 with a billet clutch posi
  • Housing backbrace
  • Strange 31 spline axles
  • Fill and drain plugs
  • ABS axle mod
  • (He said it has traction control also? ABS and TC lights on, so idk)
  • Black powder coating
-PST 3.5" Aluminum Drive Shaft
-Suspension- new parts
  • MWC Adjustable chromoly lower control arms
  • MWC adjustable chromoly panhard bar
  • MWC double adjustable chromoly torque arm
  • MWC tunnel mount drive shaft loop
  • Rack and pinion
  • Upper ball joints
  • Tie rod ends
  • Poly bushings in upper control Arms
  • High pressure PS hose
  • Poly motor and transmission mounts
  • Poly Sway bar bushings
  • Poly bump stops
  • Strano Springs
  • Koni 4/4 adjustable shocks
  • UMI 3-point sub frame connectors
-Transmission
  • LS7 Clutch
  • Tick Master Cylinder
  • AC Delco Slave Cylinder
  • Hurst shifter
  • ARP Flywheel and Pressure plate bolts
  • Tick remote speed bleeder
  • Brash shifter bushing
  • New pilot bearing, throw out bearing, rear main seal, and trans input shaft seals
-Exhaust
  • Stainless Long tube headers 1 3/4 (LSXtreme)
  • ORY (LSXtreme)
  • Percy split bolt stainless header bolts
  • QTP electric cut out
  • New Bosch 13111 O2 sensors
-Wheels
  • OE Wheels chrome C6
  • New Nitto 555 all the way around
-Stereo/Interior
  • Double-DIN stereo installation
  • Pioneer App-Radio 2
  • MB Quart seperates in front
  • RF 6.5" components in rear
  • New steering wheel control module
  • LED dash and interior lights
-HVAC
  • New condenser, compressor, evap, lines
  • Heater core and radiator flushed and tested
  • All new hoses and belts (including the frame mounted heater hose)
-Misc and new
  • Tuned by Frost
  • EGR/AIR delete
  • Has the Lumpy spoiler. Apparently that's rare.
  • New BCM
  • New Ignition switch
  • Sealed beam to Xenon conversion headlights (low beams)
  • HID fog lights
  • Auto Trix Window fix with passenger express down
  • New window motors
  • New dash
  • Metal geared headlights
  • Optima Red Top Battery
  • Replaced mirrors with tinted 98 mirrors

Now, for the bad...
It seeps a little oil out the valve covers, not bad though.
Someone punched the passenger rear quarter and there is an X keyed into the sail panel.
Paint leaves a little to be desired. I'm going to have it repainted. The clear is peeling on some parts, and others are scratched up. Might as well redo the whole thing.
The interior is FILTHY, but will clean up fine.
Both front seats are shot. Driver is worn out, with no tears. Passenger is nice and comfy, but ripped wide open.
Power seats don't work.
Interior lights all burned out.

Bottom line is...I bought the car for what came on it. I'm taking everything in the rear out and saving it for my Camaro build, replacing the stuff with stock and going to turn it into my DD. He included all stock rear parts aside from the actual rear end itself, which is destroyed anyway. I want to know what everyone thinks this car is really worth...both in real world value as it sits now, and also how much actual money has been put into the car. Thanks fellas.

I paid $5,250 for it
Attached Thumbnails Deal of the century? 2000 Firehawk-hawk1.jpg   Deal of the century? 2000 Firehawk-hawk2.jpg   Deal of the century? 2000 Firehawk-hawk3.jpg   Deal of the century? 2000 Firehawk-hawk4.jpg   Deal of the century? 2000 Firehawk-hawk5.jpg  

Last edited by sawblade99Z; 04-26-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

Ehh I wouldn't say deal of the century
Old 04-26-2014, 06:50 PM
Launching!

Truthfully I didn't even care if it ran. However, it has a perfectly healthy stock ls1 in it that is as quiet as a mouse. Doesn't even have piston slap on cold starts.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

good deal tho
Old 04-26-2014, 07:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bjohn
With everything on the car, I'd say you got the killer end of the deal.

What was the asking price?
The guy had an unexpected financial hardship and needed to sell it. What I gave him was his asking price. I didn't have the heart to try to beat him up on it. I didn't get his username, but he is a member on here. He said he did all of his research on here prior to purchasing every single thing.

I think it's a killer deal too. I've been looking in about a 200 mile radius for the past six months and haven't even found a stock car with the normal issues for that low of a price.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn good deal!
Old 04-26-2014, 09:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

awesome deal , their is 5k worth of rear end and suspension parts. Change the valve cover gaskets and drive it .

And dont build the camaro , everyone has a ******* camaro stay with the bird , it looks better than a camaro .

Camaro hater in the house. build the bird .
Old 04-26-2014, 09:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by madmike9396
Ehh I wouldn't say deal of the century
Originally Posted by madmike9396
good deal tho
i agree. theres some expensive parts on that car.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:24 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would've said $7k tops and what you paid is a good deal. Deal of the century? Nope. Sure there's a lot of money in parts there, but expensive parts don't mean a whole lot for resale value.

I would say deal of the century with 60k less miles and the interior wasn't ****.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:30 PM
Launching!

An awesome deal given what's been done, but not deal of the century. The fact that it's a real firehawk alone makes it worth 5k, plus that's 5k in mods EASY.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
awesome deal , their is 5k worth of rear end and suspension parts. Change the valve cover gaskets and drive it .
Exactly why I didn't hesitate. The way I look at it is I would have undoubtedly been purchasing all of those rear components down the road anyway. So why not just go ahead and do it while I can basically end up with another car that's had a lot of other work done for free? The fact that it's a Firehawk was just a bonus. As is the fact that the car was bone stock two years ago, and all those expensive parts have less drive time than that on them.

The interior isn't ****. The seats are ****. The entire dash is perfect and the carpet and panels only need cleaned. Besides all the money dumped into it, my time is worth something too. And there's an awful lot of stuff done to this thing that I'm glad I'm not the one that has to **** with it.

I have a few reasons for building the Camaro instead though. It's lighter, for one. I want the consistency of a stalled auto for my weekend toy. I've also wanted to DD an M6 Trans Am since before I even bought my Camaro. Just couldn't afford one at that point in time. And my grandpa helped me buy the Camaro, so that's just the one I'd prefer to build. I want to have it done soon enough that he's able to enjoy it some too. And of course I love Hugger Orange...
Old 04-26-2014, 11:19 PM
Teching In

So when does the forged 408 go in? The car is ready to go.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Nytehawk
So when does the forged 408 go in? The car is ready to go.
I think this one is going to stay a 346 until it goes. The Camaro on the other hand.... I've had my eye on a 408 for quite some time. Just a matter of which direction I want to go with it.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you did well. Every car I buy I ask myself if any drivetrain component grenaded the day after I bought it could I still easily make money parting the car out before I purchase it and in your case I would say you can safely check that box lol.

Deal of the century no but well bought solid deal yes

I hope the seller was able to straighten out his problems by selling it and will be back on here with another in the future , I am sure you helped him out more than you know to quickly buy a car he had a lot of effort in without beating him up/jerking him around on price not to mention knowing its going to someone that knows what he bought not some schmuck fresh out of a riced out civic...
Old 04-27-2014, 01:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Decent deal. But body work is the most expensive part of any car (to do well, anyway). Still a very nice car. Those spoilers can go for a decent amount to the right buyer.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like a good deal to me. Hate to say it, but I'd probably part the whole thing.

Speaking of, what do the door panels look like?
Old 04-27-2014, 03:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think you did well.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:07 AM
Staging Lane

Default Great Deal !!!!!!

Thank you for sharing that deal with us. You can't go wrong. The cost of after-market parts are tremendous. It normally takes time to accumulate those parts. Drive-trains are costing more than the vehicles. Good luck.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by murphinator
you did well. Every car I buy I ask myself if any drivetrain component grenaded the day after I bought it could I still easily make money parting the car out before I purchase it and in your case I would say you can safely check that box lol.
That's exactly what I did before I committed. I asked all kinds of questions trying to find the catch, but there wasn't one. Like I said, I didn't even care if the car ran, as I knew it still had room for profit even in that case.

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
Decent deal. But body work is the most expensive part of any car (to do well, anyway). Still a very nice car. Those spoilers can go for a decent amount to the right buyer.
I work for a dealership and the owner told me I could use our parts supplier to get a rear end. Also, a friend of mine likes to paint and said he'd do it for nothing if I bought the material and helped him get it prepped. I think that even with the parts I want taken out of it replaced with stock, I still got it cheap enough that there is room for some improvement before I won't be able to get that amount back out of it. My friend just sold a 180,000 mile WS6 for like $9,000 and said that anytime I want to sell it, I'm more than welcome to drop it off at his lot.

Originally Posted by 98_1LE
Seems like a good deal to me. Hate to say it, but I'd probably part the whole thing.

Speaking of, what do the door panels look like?
I knew I was forgetting a flaw. The door panels are cracked lol. I was just glad to see that it had a new dash, metal geared headlights, and the window motor fix done already. The car really isn't in bad shape. I'm just particular. With paint and a little of my time, the car will be a nice piece.

Originally Posted by _JB_
I think you did well.
Thanks! I'm pretty proud of it.

Originally Posted by spordee1
Thank you for sharing that deal with us. You can't go wrong. The cost of after-market parts are tremendous. It normally takes time to accumulate those parts. Drive-trains are costing more than the vehicles. Good luck.
Thanks man! Before I went to get it, I added up the cost of only the main parts on it (All MWC parts, drive shaft, shocks/springs, wheels/tires, and exhaust) Things I had for sure planned to buy later on, and came up with roughly $8,500. The trans work and all of the small might-as-well-upgrade-when-it-needs-replaced stuff adds up to a pretty significant amount too. I'd say easily $2,000 and a lot of time/labor.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 439 Likes on 317 Posts

Certainly not the deal of the century, and I didn't realize from what is posted here that it is so easy to sell parts for good $$. IMO it is a real pain in the butt to sell parts. Not only finding buyers, but packing them up, shipping them, and then putting up with the buyer's complaints afterwards, whether real or someone just wanting a better deal or something for nothing. If all that potential aggravation is worth a few grand (maybe), then maybe it is worth it. It's always so easy for others to suggest things without actually doing it. Been there, done that. It's rarely easy and usually not worth it. Working at a dealership is certainly an advantage for the OP. Best of luck!

Quick Reply: Deal of the century? 2000 Firehawk