What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Deal of the century? 2000 Firehawk

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 01:03 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

NC01TA- Believe me... Working at a dealership does have it's advantages. However, in reference to your comment about having to deal with people, this job has also left me with less patience for the general public than I even had before. And that's saying something. Everyone comes in here wanting something for nothing. We are doing a giveaway mailer deal right now, and God help the next gift gobbler that comes in here throwing a fit because they won a free tool kit and not $5,000.

But yeah... I don't plan to part it out. The trouble alone keeps it from being worthwhile.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:45 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,278 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by justin455
Deal of the century? Nope. Sure there's a lot of money in parts there, but expensive parts don't mean a whole lot for resale value.
Agreed.

With that kind of mileage and those cosmetic/condition issues, I'd call the price "fair", all things considered. Aftermarket stuff doesn't do a ton for resale value, regardless of what those parts cost retail.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I would say it's a pretty good deal as I often see stock cars in similar condition sell for that or more.

While mods don't add value on paper, IMO for the type of person who would end up doing them anyway it doesn't hurt to let them add value to the car. Just don't count on them adding resell value if you change your mind and want to unload the car.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:44 PM
Launching!

Some of these responses are a little disheartening lol. I guess I should rephrase my question. The title was mainly to draw views and hopefully feedback...success. I realize that given the miles and current condition of the car itself, it has no special value. I knew that going into it. I didn't buy it to collect or resell. I bought it to drive. I also know that upgrades add no real value when it comes to resale. But given all the things that I now don't have to purchase for my project, the money and time saved there, and the new DD that I got in the process... Am I still ahead? That's my question.

Edit: Didn't see Thunderstruck's post before I responded. He nailed it. That's my exact thought process. And yes, around here stock cars with similar miles and the common issues which this one already has taken care of go for more than I have invested.

Last edited by sawblade99Z; 04-28-2014 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Just strikes me as odd when some people on here respond negatively to buying cars with mods.

If I'm car shopping and find a stock one for $xxxx and a very similar car but with solid bolt on performance mods for anywhere close to the same price, I would buy the modded car as either one would end up at that point either way, even if I have to go back and recheck their work or decide to swap out the installed parts for different brands I'm likely to come out further.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:05 PM
Launching!

Precisely. And the guy being a fellow member, he was able to answer any and every question I had in a more than satisfactory manner. There was a lot of peace of mind in the fact that he knew exactly what he built and why he bought the parts that he did.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GREAT find, Props! I wish I would of bought my bird all modded up instead of mostly stock, I'd save a lot $$ thats for sure.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 539 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by sawblade99Z
NC01TA- Believe me... Working at a dealership does have it's advantages. However, in reference to your comment about having to deal with people, this job has also left me with less patience for the general public than I even had before. And that's saying something. Everyone comes in here wanting something for nothing. We are doing a giveaway mailer deal right now, and God help the next gift gobbler that comes in here throwing a fit because they won a free tool kit and not $5,000.

But yeah... I don't plan to part it out. The trouble alone keeps it from being worthwhile.
I love your response about the general public. I am glad to hear you are keeping the car for yourself. In this instance I believe you are going to be fine. You have your 'ducks lined up' and know what you are doing. Enjoy it! That's all that matters.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:33 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Snake_Skinner
GREAT find, Props! I wish I would of bought my bird all modded up instead of mostly stock, I'd save a lot $$ thats for sure.
Thanks! It's saving me a lot in the long run.
Originally Posted by NC01TA
I love your response about the general public. I am glad to hear you are keeping the car for yourself. In this instance I believe you are going to be fine. You have your 'ducks lined up' and know what you are doing. Enjoy it! That's all that matters.
Haha people suck, man. And thanks for your opinion!
Old 04-29-2014, 12:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I got a great deal $7500 for a nice WS6 with 85K miles. All it needed was some clean up and a new rear which I found for $50. Now I wish I had found a modded car or at least something with suspension mods like you have. I just didn't want a car that was thrashed by kids.

But why would a guy spend that kind of money on a 9" rear and have a basically stock motor? Did he spray it?
Old 04-29-2014, 12:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LopeyZ
But why would a guy spend that kind of money on a 9" rear and have a basically stock motor? Did he spray it?
I would have paid 7500 for the WS6 you bought too.

The guy said he built it more for a spirited driving car. Driving mountain roads and the like. The place he mentioned is called the dragon. I didn't ask for specifics on what damage was done, but the rear went and he decided he wasn't going to spend the money on another 10 bolt. He got on here and decided on a MWC 9". Said he only wanted to have to do it once, so he did it right. Not ideal for his purpose I'd say, but ideal for mine. So I'm not complaining lol. No spray or anything like that.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd buy that car for 5250

You can get the seats done for 275-400 if you like
Old 04-29-2014, 11:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Rugcleaner
I'd buy that car for 5250

You can get the seats done for 275-400 if you like
I probably will. Mainly because the tear in the passenger seat is covered with duct tape and I have no idea how bad it really is. We have two excellent seat recovery guys here in town so I'll take it to them for a quote next week. The driver seat motor is done too. But the position it **** the bed in just happens to be where I'm most comfortable anyway, so I may not fool with that.

Quick Reply: Deal of the century? 2000 Firehawk