What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

How much is my car worth.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 02:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much is my car worth.

I'm looking to sell and was thinking I would ask 12K and see what offers I get. But I would like your input on price. Obviously I think the car is worth a lot more than it actually is It has completed a dealer inspection and received a clean bill of health. I have it posted on craigslist. Hopefully I don't get the ban for posting the link.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/4454317891.html

Quick Specs
01 Black Camaro SS
Paint Flawless
Manual
Leather seats
Brand new tires, rotors, brake pads,
44k Odometer
Ttops with shades
clean title no wrecks
Old 05-05-2014, 02:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Looks like a nice, clan car. I think its worth a few bucks more than that. Not a ton more.....
Old 05-05-2014, 04:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

I'll agree with ya. I think it is worth a lot more, just like my own car. Unfortunately we have to deal in realities. Your $12,000 OBO asking price should not scare anyone away. It is an excellent starting point for a low mileage SS like you describe. That would be a sweet ride for someone looking for a 6 speed SS that hasn't been beaten. What you accept after negotiations is up to you.
One thing I disagree with is your ad placement. That car should be on Autotrader, not exposed to the potential undesirables of your area perusing CL.
It will sell on Autotrader with much less exposure to the wrong crowd. Of course it's up to you. GLWS!!
Old 05-05-2014, 09:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NC01TA
One thing I disagree with is your ad placement. That car should be on Autotrader, not exposed to the potential undesirables of your area perusing CL.
It will sell on Autotrader with much less exposure to the wrong crowd. Of course it's up to you. GLWS!!
I appreciate the feedback. I'll give it a couple more days and if nothing pans out by then I'll put it on auto trader.

I've always had good luck on CL for motorcycle and beater purchase and sales. I'm seeing what you mean however on this car. It's the end of the first day and I've been offered $5,000, even trades for a 70's era pickup + cr250 dirtbike, an *** load of scams, and all other sorts of odds and ends.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

You just described CL to a T.
Again, best of luck with the sale.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:56 PM
Teching In

craigslist is always fun. Talked to a guy for 2 weeks one time, sent him hundreds of pictures, novels of descriptions, always kept asking me for more info. Asked him when he could come see it, said he couldn't just come look on a whim(local 20 min away). Almost had an stroke. Due diligence is fine, but don't waste 2 weeks of someone's time if you have no plans or money for buying.
My rule of thumb with CL is to disregard emails, and texts, if someone calls I'll talk to them, the rest are 99% ********, but if you wade through enough of the "whats your bottom dollar" texts, there are a few serious buyers.
Autotrader gets more serious interest, but unfortuntely its not the best market for sports cars.

oo let me post a recent one.

Hi, I am in the market for a used MX bike that I can use to get back in shape. I'm 65 and have lost much of my musculature over the last few years. I raced back in my younger years and know that dirt riding will put muscle back on quickly, while being enjoyable.

That being said, I have been looking for a 125 or 250 2 stroke MX bike that is priced honestly, and in my price range. Your price, for a 2001 (13 years old), basically stock YZ250 is a bit too high for the market, and for my price range. If you will consider $800 I will bring cash and come check the bike out, and test ride it. If it is in good running and riding condition I will purchase it on the spot, with a bill of sale. I know the bike is not perfect, and not expected, but if it was, your price would still be a bit too high, as a 2003-04 YZ250 in good condition 2 years ago was selling for $1200 to $1800 depending on condition and after market upgrades. I'm not trying to low-ball you, just don't want to pay more than the bike is worth. I'm a motivated buyer, but the condition and price must be right.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Thanks,
Ray

My response.

1200 is a very fair price for the bike.

His

Keep me in mind when you have trouble selling it, I promise it won't be too fast for me, even at 65 years old. As I said, I raced for several years in the open class and the big bikes back then were not only fast, but they also handled terribly. A newer 250 that has much better suspension, and a much better power band, will not be a problem.

Thanks,
Ray

That was the first day I had the ad up asking $1200, which the avg asking for that is $1500, so $1200 is right at the selling point, and I really didn't care to haggle, just wanted it outta the corner of my shop.

2 days later someone called, said they were on the way, showed up and paid asking price, they had a couple other bike and knew that was the right price and condition. It's really hard for me not to email that guy a pic of the bill of sale, but whatever, I love how he starts out by saying he's not lowballing, then lowballs. Alot less stress for me by not even responding.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Put $13,500 OBO on it
I think you are giving it away at $12K
There are guys asking $10K for 100K mile cars out there!
Old 05-07-2014, 10:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would hope that car is bought for at least 12k. I hate CL with a passion but there are so many eyes on those ads at least on the auto section I believe its worth it. The last time I sold a car on there I had to of called at least 15 people dirtbags before a nice serious seller came and bought the asking price minus a few hundred within about 2 weeks of posting.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:53 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by hardbones
Put $13,500 OBO on it
I think you are giving it away at $12K
There are guys asking $10K for 100K mile cars out there!
I originally was thinking of asking $13K which is why I posted this. Even at $12K I have people trying to talk me down to KBB at $10,300. Actually when I looked it up KBB was more that NADA. I've never see that before. I'm trying to be realistic here and a majority of the people will use the KBB/NADA as a bargaining chip.

I have one guy who wants to do a loan and I already looked at his bank. They only do 110% of Blue Book value for a car. I seriously doubt they are going to cut me a check for $12K as according to the bank it will only be worth $11,300. I'd love to sell it at $13,500 or $14,000 I just can't let it sit around in the garage for another year.

But again I'm not good at determining the value of things which is another reason why I'm posting on here. I don't have good business sense, it's why I don't go out and pursue building my own business. Other thoughts on price?
Old 05-08-2014, 10:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

be patient unless you are in desperate need to sell it, just wait for the right buyer...
Old 05-08-2014, 10:22 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CashMoney

I have one guy who wants to do a loan and I already looked at his bank. They only do 110% of Blue Book value for a car.

110% of Blue Book value is a great deal from the bank, most banks I know will loan 80% of black book value
Old 05-08-2014, 10:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Which is why credit unions are awesome. They will loan you 100% plus on just about anything.

Quick Reply: How much is my car worth.