What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Let's play a 'What's It Worth' game

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 09:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice sale, its good to see these cars will still bring $20K with 20,000 miles on them!
Old 05-19-2014, 10:36 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hardbones
Nice sale, its good to see these cars will still bring $20K with 20,000 miles on them!
Great for the seller. Only question is if the buyer actually will pay out. In this auction I think there is a good chance. Looks like there was 2-3 serious bidders at the end. I dropped out fairly early when I saw the bidding war and knew I could not compete. $21k with shipping....slightly out of my league. Hopefully works out for the buyer....I talked to the seller and had a few reservations e.g. lost title etc but all could of been legit.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

That was a very strong winning bid. Now we get to see if the buyer follows through with the cash. It seems like half of the winning bidders on Ebay don't follow through as they can't get the funds. And who can say if one of those "determined" bidders was a shill operating on behalf of the seller. It's important that it sells right here around $20K because usually the next time up the bidders are a little more spooked to see the car again.

Lost title? I've heard of that for cars dated pre-1970 but a 2002? Shouldn't that be something the seller should have taken care of already? How can you even proceed to sell a vehicle w/o title in hand? Though, I must admit, 15 years ago a buyer did that to me. They didn't have the title, the bank still did. And they lied to me about it. It delayed things about a month until the bank sent me the title.

382 2002 WS6 coupes in SOM produced per one source. That's more than any color 2002 Firehawk.....yet $20K for a 23,000 mile, average optioned hawk coupe is rarely seen. I cannot recall seeing one going that high. 2 months ago on Ebay an NBM 2001 Hawk convertible with under 20,000 miles sold for approx $21K. I emailed the owner before the sale and their bottom line was $20K. They only made 24 of those in NBM (4 spd and automatics). While I love SOM, I don't love this one in Colorado having an extra $4K to $5K premium for the the color. Apparently, a couple bidders have no problem with a 25% premium.

Last edited by Firebrian; 05-19-2014 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Firebrian
That was a very strong winning bid. Now we get to see if the buyer follows through with the cash. It seems like half of the winning bidders on Ebay don't follow through as they can't get the funds. And who can say if one of those "determined" bidders was a shill operating on behalf of the seller. It's important that it sells right here around $20K because usually the next time up the bidders are a little more spooked to see the car again.
Yea....looking at the bid history although mostly hidden and considering the # of feedbacks not sure if they were shill bidders. However having cash or financing lined up is another story. I was a serious potential buyer to pull the trigger but could not do what the final bid was.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by y2k600f4
Great for the seller. Only question is if the buyer actually will pay out. In this auction I think there is a good chance. Looks like there was 2-3 serious bidders at the end. I dropped out fairly early when I saw the bidding war and knew I could not compete. $21k with shipping....slightly out of my league. Hopefully works out for the buyer....I talked to the seller and had a few reservations e.g. lost title etc but all could of been legit.
So it had a "lost title'?

The Ebay description says clean title in hand??
Old 05-19-2014, 11:02 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hardbones
So it had a "lost title'?

The Ebay description says clean title in hand??
Yes lost. The autocheck link is incorrect in the listing. I found the correct link at it shows that a new ohio title was requested recently....at the time he went to get the car and drive it from OH to CO. It will have a CO title but defineately not in hand
Old 05-21-2014, 05:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-Firebird-Trans-Am-Coupe-2-Door-RAM-AIR-WS6-2002-PONTAIC-TRANS-AM-RAM-AIR-WS6-RARE-LOW-MILES-/271500180620?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3f36abfc8c&item=271500180620&pt=US_Cars_Trucks
The above owner must have seen that other SOM car go off and decided to strike while the iron was red hot. This with one slightly more miles at 34K. Let's see if some of those other bidders from the other auction are still around.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-Fire...US_Cars_Trucks

The above owner must have seen that other SOM car go off and decided to strike while the iron was red hot. This with one slightly more miles at 34K. Let's see if some of those other bidders from the other auction are still around.
I am gonna say $17,500 on this one...
Old 05-21-2014, 10:57 PM
Staging Lane

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-Fire...US_Cars_Trucks

This will be intereting. The seller Anthony looks like he flips cars. If you google his # he is all over the web with his classic listing in all caps with minimum info. craigslist, other websites, previous ebay sales etc. He has a red 01 WS6 A4 with low miles for sale also (also listed on CL); did not sell due to dead beat bidders (previously listed). This listing is not as nice as the other, pics are less clear and there are a lot of unanswered questions e.g. # owners (guessing 2-3); vincheck is not listed, condition and documentation, tires look like they may be original and car has had exhaust mods etc
Old 05-22-2014, 02:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NC01TA
I certainly agree. $20,201. Looks like 98CayenneT/A is the winner with his guess of $19,500.

UPDATE: Talked to the seller and as expected the highest bidder backed out. Don't matter how many positive ratings you have. Just shows you that ebay sales prices are not accurate; never truly know what they get for the cars. Seller sold it locally for $19K so he still made out pretty well and did not have to deal with all the ebay red tape.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 523 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by y2k600f4
UPDATE: Talked to the seller and as expected the highest bidder backed out. Don't matter how many positive ratings you have. Just shows you that ebay sales prices are not accurate; never truly know what they get for the cars. Seller sold it locally for $19K so he still made out pretty well and did not have to deal with all the ebay red tape.
Thank you very much for the update!! It's always nice to hear the end result.
Certainly no surprise to me either. It's what I've been posting about for years now. Been around too long I guess and dealt with ebay people for far too long as well. I finally said 'adios' to ebay a few years back when I was selling my elderly car club members cars for them. It's Autotrader and Hemmings for us now. It doesn't mean you can't find cars on ebay or elsewhere, you just have to be on your toes and expect the realities of car buying. No different than horse trading back in the 1800's. People never change.
Let's see who the winner is now: dwhess504 at $18,627.

Quick Reply: Let's play a 'What's It Worth' game