What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

1996 trans am fully restored

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 08:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1996 trans am fully restored

Thinking about selling my car not too sure whats it really worth to the right buyer. Too much to list I have a stack of reciepts. Car makes 400hp and 380 tq at wheels.

Repainted/removed all dings ect
Car is now sunset orange including jams and under the hood

Rebuilt motor new everything oil pump, bearings ect ect

24x, le 2 heads, big cam, kooks stepped headers 3in td, ect ect

Tick performance stage 2 t56 rebuild with new clutch and tick clutch master

Rebuilt 10 bolt

Sealed underneath the car

I understand the lt1 isnt a prefered platform but there is an *** for every seat. Car is in very nice shape. 180k on odo. Interior is perfect shape. Spent alot of money in there also. Any thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails 1996 trans am fully restored-image.jpg  
Old 12-01-2014, 03:52 PM

I don't want to insult you so I am not going to comment, other than its a really nice car. I highly doubt you can get anywhere near what you put into it though. Not unless you find just the right buyer. Sorry I don't have a number for you though. I have been shopping lately and seen some H/C LS1's selling for like $7500 though. Others on this site been for sale for a long time. Lot of F bods to choose from.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

You will need a buyer that doesn't care about the miles. By switching to the 24x, you eliminated the primary issue with the LT1. Unfortunately, at the end of the day, it's a 180K mile heads/cam car. Probably looking at 5K.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:05 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JC316
You will need a buyer that doesn't care about the miles. By switching to the 24x, you eliminated the primary issue with the LT1. Unfortunately, at the end of the day, it's a 180K mile heads/cam car. Probably looking at 5K.
I figured somewhere in the 7-5 range given the buyer. If the odo didnt say 180 you would never know it.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd be concerned about the possible items that still have 180K miles (suspension, brake lines, exhaust, electrical-controls-instruments-lighting, AC-engine cooling-interior heating, steering, power windows-seats-mirrors). If there were no concerns there I don't see why a fresh drive-train and paint job can't be worth $7.5K to $8K. I'd be tickled pink to pick up a car like this for a daily driver for $5K to $6K. I don't see anything this clean and redone in my area. $5K generally gets you a trashed out, higher mileage vehicle needing most everything.

So what if it's not an LS-1? It looks every good as one in SOM and a ram air hood. For $5K I could possibly go out and find a 60K to 75K mile '98 Z28 with original and faded paint. It would be a constant source of nits to repair. I'd rather have this LT-1 that looks like 30K miles.

Last edited by Firebrian; 12-02-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:47 PM
Staging Lane

Case in point. There is an *** for every seat. The entire car has been gone through. Heat and ac eliminated. All new suspension components. Interior looks like car has 10k on it. I feel like most people will give the its not an ls argument. But any ls car in the same shape as mine will probably go for 12+ at least.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:32 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm shopping for one myself, but not having heat and A/C kills it. I'd expect it will for most others as well. It's a shame, because from the video it seems really clean.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Boxxx
I'm shopping for one myself, but not having heat and A/C kills it. I'd expect it will for most others as well. It's a shame, because from the video it seems really clean.

I was temped to ask you where you are located, I was kinda coming around too the car. The no heat or A/C is an absolute deal breaker for me though.

Still a nice sounding and looking car though.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by powercrazy
I figured somewhere in the 7-5 range given the buyer. If the odo didnt say 180 you would never know it.
I sold a pristine 97 Formula with 138K on it for $4800 earlier in the year. It was pretty much bone stock.

Case in point. There is an *** for every seat. The entire car has been gone through. Heat and ac eliminated. All new suspension components. Interior looks like car has 10k on it. I feel like most people will give the its not an ls argument. But any ls car in the same shape as mine will probably go for 12+ at least.
The lack of heat and a/c is going to be a major killer for you and I do mean major. Just a non functional a/c or heater will knock 50% off the value off on any car that I sell, but I am in Texas. A completely missing one is going to do worse than that.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:09 AM
Teching In

It is nice looking/sounding but the market for cars like that is pretty slim.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:22 AM
Staging Lane

I figured no hvac would deter some people which is fine. I built the car without those because I never use them and I wanted to clean up the engine bay. The car only gets driven april to nov/dec.

4800 for a 140k formula seems a bit high maybe its because of where your located. I live in Massachusetts. That car here might get 3.

Seems that it just really comes down to the buyer.
Attached Thumbnails 1996 trans am fully restored-image.jpg  
Old 12-03-2014, 10:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

I figured no hvac would deter some people which is fine. I built the car without those because I never use them and I wanted to clean up the engine bay. The car only gets driven april to nov/dec.

4800 for a 140k formula seems a bit high maybe its because of where your located. I live in Massachusetts. That car here might get 3.

Seems that it just really comes down to the buyer.
The one that I sold was very clean for the year, but yeah, stuff tends to go pretty high here in texas.

You're going to need a very specific type of buyer. It's not going to deter a few buyers, you have eliminated the daily driver market, which is going to encompass probably 85% of the buyer pool. The miles, mods, and plainness is going to eliminate a collector.

The only three options you are going to have is someone looking for a toy, someone looking for a race car, or a flipper that will put the HVAC back.

The first two are going to be a hard sell because it's not an LS1 and the flipper is only going to want to spend 2-3K. It's going to be a very difficult sell unless you're willing to take a major loss or put the HVAC stuff back.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:49 PM
Launching!

I was thinking track car as well, that or maybe the starting point for a show car. It really is the lack of heat and A/C that turned me off, as up until that point I was going to PM about it. If you still have everything and are really wanting to sell I'd definitely look at least putting it all back in place and leaving it up to the new owner to recharge it.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Boxxx
I was thinking track car as well, that or maybe the starting point for a show car. It really is the lack of heat and A/C that turned me off, as up until that point I was going to PM about it. If you still have everything and are really wanting to sell I'd definitely look at least putting it all back in place and leaving it up to the new owner to recharge it.
I own a small used car lot and the hvac is the most important thing, followed by the body condition, and finally how well it runs. I can't give a car away if the hvac is non functional.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:47 AM
Launching!

If it was cheap enough and if it still had heat I'd buy it, windows down with the air set to induction and max blower speed and it's not so bad. Main thing is being able to run defrost and having more than the transmission tunnel to keep you warm. :p

Quick Reply: 1996 trans am fully restored