What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

need quick advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need quick advice

I found a stunning 2000 WS6 at a dealership. 11k miles, red, M6, unmolested except for a Flowmaster catback. How much should I pay for this car? Its literally in showroom new condition. I know what NADA and KBB say, but I feel these dont truly reflect real world values on a car like this.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are they asking for it?
Old 02-13-2015, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ShotgunSurgeon
I found a stunning 2000 WS6 at a dealership. 11k miles, red, M6, unmolested except for a Flowmaster catback. How much should I pay for this car? Its literally in showroom new condition. I know what NADA and KBB say, but I feel these dont truly reflect real world values on a car like this.
Use the NADA and KBB to your advantage, if possible. The price guides give almost no additional premium for these cars with <60K miles. So that's a $5K difference. It's also a very slow time of year for car dealerships in the cold weather states so they might be willing to deal...unless they are willing to wait another 1-2 months as spring arrives. Then prices rise another $500-$1000. The summer price range on this car is probably $14.5K-$16.5K. Right now I'd figure $14K-$16K. Anything at $15.5K or under is very fair. $15K good deal. $14K is a steal.

This all assumes 1-2 owner car, some documentation, owner history, everything working, good maintenance history. You'll probably be on the original tires which could/should be a concern just because of their age. Look them over real close between the tread and on sidewalls for cracks. Maybe you can get the dealer to foot some of the "rubber" bill if there are any issues. The tire tread should have 50% of life remaining if the car wasn't hot rodded by the previous owner. For an unmolested car it should have the original air intake baffles, the stock factory sound deadened shifter (with kink in the shaft). Figure the previous owner only changed the engine oil which means a few hundred bucks to come out of your pocket. Verify the AC works which should not be hard with heated bays at the dealership. If they happen to check on line auto trader pricing, etc. it will probably be priced at $17K-$19K. And if I were the dealer I'd certainly not let go of the car for less than I want until I see what the April-May crowd offers up.

Good luck. If priced right it won't last past early April. If you figure 75K mile cars are priced around $10K. What's 60K less miles and a nearly brand new car worth? And if this is the car I see on line out of Texas with 11,951 miles (and priced at $22K) I'd say the odds of buying it are slim to none. A dealer local to me in fall 2011 had a 1 owner 2000 black WS6 M6 with 14K miles - orig tires - with a transmission as quiet as a mouse. Very nice car. I could have bought that for $16,500. That was over 3 years ago. And it took them close to a year to sell it.

Last edited by Firebrian; 02-14-2015 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:37 PM

Ive gone iver it with a fine tooth comb. The front and rear tires dont match...fronts are Sumimotos and rears are Fuldas. No floormats, but hats the only thing I see missing. I havent heard it run yet. Its not a catback, just a muffler and tailpipe replacement.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:46 PM

Still battling it out at the dealership. They have offered me what I think is a very fair deal after financing. They finally ahowed me the auction invoice and they claim to have get this.......$18,000.02 for this car!!!....AT AN AUCTION!! Someone saw them coming from a mile away. Its a perfect car though, floormats are in the back.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ShotgunSurgeon
Ive gone iver it with a fine tooth comb. The front and rear tires dont match...fronts are Sumimotos and rears are Fuldas. No floormats, but hats the only thing I see missing. I havent heard it run yet. Its not a catback, just a muffler and tailpipe replacement.
Odd tire combo...especially for a "well cared" for car with 11K miles??? Muffler and tail pipe replacement before 11K miles? I assume they didn't like the stock exhaust note? That's fine...but did they keep the old parts?

If this is the same Texas car I mentioned above it has a shaky 2-3 owner CarFax where the car spent many years at a car dealership as a demo or manager's "toy." That could explain the tires being worn out early and now mismatched.

No way ANY dealer paid $18K at auction for this car...in December/January. That's crazy. So is it the same PA car that made its way down to Texas? Did you check out the CarFax? Either way, if they paid $18K or more, you won't (or shouldn't) be the next owner. Phony auction invoices can always be made up. There are nicer 1 owner 2002's that you can buy with less mileage for $19K-$21K. Just walk away or counter with something more in line with the pricing of a 1998-2000. They apparently have this one priced like it's a 2002. No 11K mile/15 year old car is perfect...or even close to it.

http://messageboard.firehawk.org/vie...94231a5acf669a

There have been low mileage Firehawks (10K-20K mi) sold in the $17K-$20K this past year via the Firehawk owner's website. In my mind those are worth about $1K-$1.5K more than a WS6. There are good deals out there from time to time, especially during the Nov-March slow season. 2002 white M6 Firehawk #1308 with 10K one owner miles sold for around $20K to a dealer. Now for sale out of Florida at $24K. In my mind this car would be worth $4K more than the above 2002 WS6. If one has to finance one of these cars that does make the negotiations much more one sided.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-Firebird-TRANS-AM-SLP-FIREHAWK-2002-pontiac-firebird-trans-am-slp-firehawk-10-k-miles-1-/301450550502?forcerrptr=true&hash=item462fda5ce6&item=301450550502&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Last edited by Firebrian; 02-13-2015 at 09:50 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

Firebrian has it completely covered.
This is a car to avoid unless priced right, and I mean under $15,000 'out the door'. Make sure the title is clear and that the Carfax doesn't reveal anything. For a dealer to lie to you right off the bat sets an extremely negative tone. Auction cars don't sell for that money. This car probably wouldn't even have brought that money at a Barrett Jackson auction, not with that ridiculous tire situation. Despite the appearance and apparent condition, if this car could talk, it would make your hair stand on end. Be careful!!
Old 02-14-2015, 08:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd pass if it were me.The more I read, the less I liked. Sounds like it was a sales managers toy. and he roasted the tires off of it (who knows what else).18K at auction, NO. B.S flag raised. There's a lot out there, with tax time upon us. $0.02

Quick Reply: need quick advice