What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

02 Trans Am Ws6 100k miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016 | 10:22 PM
Teching In

Default 02 Trans Am Ws6 100k miles

Just as the title says its a 2002 WS6 automatic with 100k miles. Red exterior

It looks to be in decent shape in pictures, but the car needs a few things:
-needs new windshield
-needs new tires and a new speedline wheel
-interior needs cleaning and has small tear in driver seat
-check engine light on for the catalytic converter (still need to verify this)

And I would want to do a full 100k mile maintenance on the car if I bought it.

From the looks of it, it needs at least $1000 worth of work, depending on the check engine light.

What should I pay for a vehicle like this?
Old 05-11-2016 | 07:53 AM
TECH Junkie
15 Year Member

I wouldn't pay over KBB 'used car' pricing in FAIR/GOOD condition for this particular car you describe. It sounds unloved to say the least. Yes, KBB pricing is very low in cases but this 100K miles car seems to fit the bill. Just punch in your zip code and check the boxes that apply. It's a useful tool so you don't overpay. If you can get this WS6 for that KBB price, then no harm in throwing a few grand into it to make it right and enjoyable if you really like the car. Your $1,000 estimate is far too low as the WS6 will need other things too that you haven't discovered yet besides the windshield which must cost more than $500 alone, right? New tires will start at $600, repairing the wheel another $200 to refurbish, seat repair another $200 if you want to do that. Exhaust repair is NOT cheap either. Mine was under warranty but I was told it would have been quite pricey. I bet the fluids need to be changed too. That's not cheap if you can't do it yourself at about $500 at a shop (new Dexcool or coolant, rear end fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid, tranny fluid). Fuel filter, air filter, oil change, are minor but all probably needed. It adds up. Brakes? A/C?? Be careful!! Do NOT pay too much. That's always my advice in these situations.
If the seller wants more, then you should move on to find a car that has been taken care of better. Don't settle for something that you will have too much money into, and possibly a bad ownership experience as well.
It's always better to be on the negative side when approaching 100k miles used 14 year old cars. If you get pleasantly surprised, GREAT!! You just have to be prepared for a worse case scenario and not go in with rose colored glasses. Good luck!
Old 05-11-2016 | 09:20 AM
Teching In

New windshield was quoted at ~$200 through safelite
I would agree with new tires running $500-600 depending on brand.
I would just buy a used WS6 wheel which should be easy enough to find.
If the check engine light was in fact the catalytic converters, I would look into just having the PCM tuned out for the cats. thoughts on this?

I might be able to pick this one up for around $6k which doesn't seem to bad with a little work involved, barring any other major issues.
Old 05-11-2016 | 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Good advice from NC01TA. KBB and NADA both start at $7100-$7200 in fair condition. You could also take the top numbers from each (KBB $9.5K) and NADA ($11.6K) and subtract all the repairs/maintenance needed. I think that NADA top value is way too strong for a 100K mile car, even if in superb condition for the miles. You're probably looking at $7K-$8K. Imo better to pay a few thousand more and get a lower mileage, 1-2 owner vehicle, that's in much nicer condition.

Worst case with new tires, windshield, interior, cats, etc. you could be up in the $2K-$3K range for things to address. Then there are things like head light, window, and antennae motors. Judging by what the current owner has left you, maybe doubling that repair estimate is a fair starting point. I would pass on this unless you can figure out exactly what you'll have to put into it.
Old 05-11-2016 | 01:46 PM
Teching In

I'm still not seeing much more than about $1,000-1,500 worth of work into this one. The biggest issue with the interior is that the driver seat needs to be re-stitched about 4 inches.

new wheel ~$200
windshield ~$200
Tires ~$600
Tune out cats ~$250
plus new fluids but I would do that in most any car I buy.

Firebrian, I would agree with paying a little more to get a car in better condition with lower miles, but the reality is they're not really out there. It's rare to see a nice WS6 for under $10,000, especially w/ less than 100k miles.
Old 05-12-2016 | 10:04 PM
Teching In

Went out and took a look at this tonight and this car was ROUGH. looks like it had definitely been sitting around or just neglected completely. Not even worth making an offer on.

On to the next one...
Old 05-13-2016 | 08:08 AM
TECH Junkie
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by speedychevy
Went out and took a look at this tonight and this car was ROUGH. looks like it had definitely been sitting around or just neglected completely. Not even worth making an offer on.

On to the next one...
Smart!!
Good luck with the search. Firebrian and I are 'old timers' (no offense Brian) and been there, done that. We usually can see these cars without even looking in many cases.

Quick Reply: 02 Trans Am Ws6 100k miles