What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

1998 Camaro Z28 SS Coupe 6-spd 7000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The blue SS with 4Kmiles that RPM WS6 linked above is sweet alright. It would be worth the $18.9K-$20.0K as a WS6. Since the highest SS M6 price I've ever seen on Ebay as a sale is upper $17's, that's the most I think an SS like this is worth excepting anniversary cars or SOM's...and that figures a fully/mostly loaded SLP package like this one with dual-dual exhaust + black wing air lid. Since high $17's is the highest price I've seen the past 5 years, I don't see how one could be worth more if the seller/dealers aren't putting higher "sold" prices down. They haven't even tried. Then we have real world examples like my car going up on Ebay for $12K at 12K miles, literally 100% stock short of reinstalling the orig shifter and air lid. I actually like using the "skip shift" when I'm lazy.

The OP's roof and mirrors being painted is certainly a concern for low mileage, pure stock buyers like myself. While it might be ok for some, the allure for a super lower mileage car is the original perfect paint and original perfect drive train. Repainting the roof is no different than repaint the hood imo. That's now a potential weak spot where a poor over-paint could come back to haunt you. Ironically, buyers seek out these '98's for the original "unbubbling" roof panels.....and this one was repainted. Darn. I would deduct some amount, especially on something so obvious that changes the car's stock appearance. While some might like the "all red" appearance, I'm of the opinion that there's just too much red now. You need something to break that up. I felt the say way about my 1968 GTX and 1969 Roadrunners. And those were broken up by factory optioned side stripes (decals or paint accent stripes). Too much of one color is not a good thing to me. You could apply Berger black stripes to the hood and the black rear panel treatment....but again not stock for a regular SS. Neat, cool....yet not stock. Wouldn't matter on a 60K mile car. Big deal on a 7K mile car.

Removing the strut tower brace is a great idea. One less thing that suggests to a potential buyer that the car could have been beat on....even with just 7K miles.

Last edited by Firebrian; 01-09-2017 at 07:40 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dojob
This is every and any retailer... car dealers, grocery stores, clothing outlets, coffee shops, etc.. etc...

I agree. But somehow spending 20% more for the same grocery items at my local supermarket vs. the big box Walmart or Stop and Shop, doesn't hit me the same way as forking over an extra $5K commission on a $20K car, especially in one fell swoop. At least with the groceries, they piece-meal that difference over decade(s). I expect up to a 50-100% difference in the pricing of foods and clothing and other supplies. I just don't expect it when shopping for a new or used car of the exact same quality. Caveat Emptor is the watch word.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 523 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Firebrian
Surprise, surprise, a dealer flipper. I just had a feeling. Those guys operate in a different world than us. They rely on uninformed buyers to take big "wins" off their hands. And they have a habit of finding them since they advertise nationally and can ship to your door. All you need is the money, they'll do all the rest. Easy peasy.
They sure do. I was 'burned' by a Florida dealer when I tried to win a 1974 AMC Javelin (way before I bought the Matador X) at a Tom Mack auction at the Charlotte Motor Speedway. The Javelin had 3,000 original miles and was completely stock with it's 304 V8. This was not an AMX or specialty car, just a sweet survivor and I was always an AMC fan. I figured $15k might buy it. I was blown out of the water with the winning bid being $20,000+ if I remember right. I then found this Javelin on-line for $25k at a dealer lot. I watched and watched as he slowly lowered the price. He was close to AMX money at the time which made this price insane despite the crazy low miles. After nearly one year the price was down to the $15k I wanted to originally pay at the auction. He was going to lose a lot of $$$ but by then I had moved on to my '87 MCSS Aerocoupe. No idea what happened to that wonderful Javelin but that was my personal auction 'dealership flipper' experience.
Sorry novawagonmaster for getting but Firebrian hit a sore spot. It's HIS fault
Thanks for posting the photos. Best of luck with the sale!
Old 01-10-2017, 07:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Firebrian
I agree. But somehow spending 20% more for the same grocery items at my local supermarket vs. the big box Walmart or Stop and Shop, doesn't hit me the same way as forking over an extra $5K commission on a $20K car, especially in one fell swoop. At least with the groceries, they piece-meal that difference over decade(s). I expect up to a 50-100% difference in the pricing of foods and clothing and other supplies. I just don't expect it when shopping for a new or used car of the exact same quality. Caveat Emptor is the watch word.
Scum bags everywhere... doesn't matter what they're selling.

Great, non-automobile, examples are:
-Kohl's
-Jos. A. Banks / Men's Wearhouse

All claim to have tremendous sales, coupons, discounts... meanwhile they're just marked up, then you use their marketing gimmicks to get it back down to normal price. Then any uneducated consumer who buys without the sales, coupons, discounts, etc are just a bonus...

...same goes for car sales. It's a riot.

I just post the price want for my vehicles and/or Craigslist items. No negotiations, no haggling... simple yes or no. Items move quick too.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the SLP grille installed last night. MUCH better than the billet grille that the original owner had installed!

I have a couple loose ends to tie up and a little more detailing to do, and the car should be up for sale next week.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

best grille, period
Old 01-20-2017, 02:43 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,740 Likes on 1,247 Posts

Originally Posted by novawagonmaster
Got the SLP grille installed last night. MUCH better than the billet grille that the original owner had installed!

I have a couple loose ends to tie up and a little more detailing to do, and the car should be up for sale next week.

These were a very popular aftermarket offering from SLP years ago. It looks much better than the billet one, I completely agree. The Y2Y SS version is equally nice.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
The Y2Y SS version is equally nice.
That was my first choice, but the haystack won.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:37 PM
Teching In

Finally got everything detailed to my satisfaction and listed the car for sale.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicle-c...top-6-spd.html

Thank you all for your knowledge, input, and advice!
Old 01-23-2017, 01:39 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,740 Likes on 1,247 Posts

Finally got everything detailed to my satisfaction and listed the car for sale.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicle-c...top-6-spd.html

Thank you all for your knowledge, input, and advice!
Jon,

First off, I'd like to say that your detailing job is impeccable from what I can see in the pictures. Average enthusiasts may think this is par for the course for a 7k mile car, but those same folks would be surprised at how much dust and film can build up in the wheel wells and engine bay over that short period of operation. As someone who is familiar with judged show vehicles, I'm able to appreciate what you've done here. Beautiful job, your work in this regard deserves to be noted.

Also, in addition to the already discussed mods, I see that you've discovered the aftermarket rear control arms and panhard bar. I spotted them in the pictures but then noticed you had already listed them as modifications. But what also stood out to me immediately, and something we hadn't discussed prior, was the aftermarket white face gauges - this is not a factory item for any Camaro (SS or otherwise.) Just an FYI, in case someone points this out while inspecting your vehicle so you know they are not BS'ing.

Good luck with the sale!
Old 01-23-2017, 07:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Jon,

First off, I'd like to say that your detailing job is impeccable from what I can see in the pictures. Average enthusiasts may think this is par for the course for a 7k mile car, but those same folks would be surprised at how much dust and film can build up in the wheel wells and engine bay over that short period of operation. As someone who is familiar with judged show vehicles, I'm able to appreciate what you've done here. Beautiful job, your work in this regard deserves to be noted.

Also, in addition to the already discussed mods, I see that you've discovered the aftermarket rear control arms and panhard bar. I spotted them in the pictures but then noticed you had already listed them as modifications. But what also stood out to me immediately, and something we hadn't discussed prior, was the aftermarket white face gauges - this is not a factory item for any Camaro (SS or otherwise.) Just an FYI, in case someone points this out while inspecting your vehicle so you know they are not BS'ing.

Good luck with the sale!
Thanks for the kind words. I have two full weekends invested in detailing this car. Granted, I am not doing it for a living, so I take my time and enjoy the process. But you are correct... the average person really has no idea what it takes to get a car to this level of clean and polished.

I found the rear suspension mods when I got under the back of the car to start cleaning. At that point, I decided to leave the front strut bar in place, as it is part of a "package" so to speak. Also good to know about the gauges. Although not stock, I must admit that I like the look.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 523 Likes on 376 Posts

Very nice ad and photos. Winter is a tough time to sell so don't get discouraged if little activity. IMO you are priced right and you just need the right buyer to come along.
I hope you will try Autotrader or even Hemmings this Spring to get a national audience. Ads start around $45 for longer runs. Can you also get the free ebay listing? I get 6 per year but apparently not everyone does. The fee is $125 if the car successfully sells (it was the last time for me anyway).
Here's another GLWS!!
Old 01-23-2017, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Bring a Trailer may be a nice option too
Old 01-23-2017, 11:39 AM
Teching In

Bring a Trailer may be a nice option too
I had it towed when I bought it, but it's up to the buyer whether it gets towed or driven to it's new home.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had it towed when I bought it, but it's up to the buyer whether it gets towed or driven to it's new home.
It's a popular online auction site...
http://bringatrailer.com/
Old 01-23-2017, 12:09 PM
Teching In

brought, not bought.

I just re-read the post from dojob though and wondered. Did you mean trailer/tow it to keep it clean or fear over the tires? If it's the tires, I am willing to install new tires if I get close to asking price. I just figured it would be best to show the car with the original tires on it for the sake of advertising and proof that all of the rubber is still in good shape (no evidence of smoking the tires).
Old 01-23-2017, 12:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

brought, not bought.

I just re-read the post from dojob though and wondered. Did you mean trailer/tow it to keep it clean or fear over the tires? If it's the tires, I am willing to install new tires if I get close to asking price. I just figured it would be best to show the car with the original tires on it for the sake of advertising and proof that all of the rubber is still in good shape (no evidence of smoking the tires).
Old 01-23-2017, 12:23 PM
Teching In

Too funny. I guess I've been out of the loop for a while.
I'll check it out. Thanks!
Old 01-23-2017, 07:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

brought, not bought.

Once the buyer owns it they can decide what tires would optimize their driving style. I had the original GoodYears on my car until 2015 (16 yrs old and 15K miles on them). They were excellent with no cracks, odd wear, and about 40% tread life left. I drove the car home on them for 50 miles on the Interstates. I had them on for 3 years before I decided to change them and feel better about going above 60 mph on them. I would not automatically assume you "owe" the buyer $500-$600 for a new set of tires from whatever price you negotiate from. At only 7K miles your tires should probably have around 2/3 original tread remaining for "easy" use.

I agree with RPM WS6 that the car literally shines in all areas. Well done. Fwiw, the very first Z28's I was considering back in 2009-2010 happened to be a white convertible A4, 2000 I think with 44K miles. Owner was asking something around $12K and we could just never get together as they had the car stored 1,000 miles away. There are buyers (like me and NC01TA) that actually prefer verts. I've owned a '68 GTX 4 speed vert, a '69 road runner automatic vert, and a 1970 Coronet R/T vert automatic. I guess that just makes us "old"...lol. In a way the TTops are "like" verts. But, until you've had a muscle vert with the full 360 deg view, there's nothing like it.

Last edited by Firebrian; 01-23-2017 at 07:17 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Great thread with lots of good info. Out of respect to your sale posting I will not comment on what I think it is worth.

But in any case, selling a high dollar 4th gen will probably never be a fast process. You have to wait for the right buyer with cash. Most 4th gen buyers today are people looking for "cheap and fast".