What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

1999 Hoss Convertible

Old 03-02-2018, 08:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 1999 Hoss Convertible

Thinking about buying another hugger Orange ss but this one is a vert. Not familiar with convertibles. Car is super clean with 80k miles, 6 speed and cloth seats. All stock except some stupid looking quad exhaust and lid. What you guys think it's worth? Thanks

Old 03-03-2018, 07:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

As the owner of 3 'verts and a big fan of the orange color (my C6 is atomic orange), I couldn't help but be drawn by this car you are interested in purchasing.
Although it doesn't appear to be in the best condition even though you stated 'super clean' (the photos are so-so, especially the engine compartment) I do know that a HOSS convertible with a 6 speed is a very unusual find. I don't know the production numbers but probably less than 100 were ever built. I didn't even know you could get cloth seats with the SS package. I just don't know personally but make sure it's a real SS.
From what I can see in the photos I am concerned about the back window as it looks like it might be having some issues with the top (coming loose). Professional repairs for convertibles can be expensive. You have to make sure the top operates properly when you go to inspect it. Check all the rubber seals around the doors, etc.. because if the rubber wasn't maintained, and has become dried out, you are going to have leaks.
I'm guessing the car was garaged from photo #2 which is important for 'verts. How's the paint up close? Any body damage? I agree with you about that exhaust and I hope the car wasn't run too hard. The history of the car will be very important such as number of owners, maintenance, Carfax, etc... as everything affects the pricing. A beautifully maintained one or two owner HOSS 'vert, even with those 80k miles, would be very desirable and probably get thousands of dollars over any book value. This one, without knowing any details, just book value even with the rarity factor. If the car needs work, $6,000 would be about as high as you should go as it may need thousands to make it right, and that's provided the paint is OK. Having $10k TOTAL into this unusual beast after maintenance, new exhaust, tires, repairs, etc.. would be fine in my book if you plan on keeping it awhile. Of course all this is up to you, but this doesn't appear to be a 'turn-key' show car that commands top dollar. What is he asking? More info will help us out determine a price. We don't even know about the running condition, clutch, tranny, anything. Good luck with everything.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:34 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,460 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by NC01TA
I didn't even know you could get cloth seats with the SS package. I just don't know personally but make sure it's a real SS.
Yes; leather was optional on the SS, so cloth would have been standard. In the later years, most were optioned with leather but it was never standard.

Still a good idea to check for SS authenticity though, especially since it's as simple as looking at the SPID sticker on the driver's door jamb for the "WU8" code (and make sure the VIN on that sticker matches the VIN on the dash).

I definitely agree with NC01TA on the condition assessment; I wouldn't call the car "super clean" based on those pics. It looks a bit dingy and would certainly need a bunch of detailing to be at its best. I have zero experience with the convertible specific issues, so I have nothing to add/offer there. I do agree that the exhaust/rear valance is quite polarizing and, if anything, hurts value. I would eliminate that ASAP if I were buying the car.

Hard to nail down a price on this one. HOSS M6 convertibles absolutely do not grow on trees. This car is anything BUT "garden variety". I would think its market value could range quite a bit depending on who's in the market, how well it's advertised, how quickly the seller wants it gone and, of course, how well it drives/checks out in person. I would think that a car like this could have a range of several thousand dollars in value based on the aforementioned factors. If he is looking for "show car/top tier" type money though, then I would walk away as the presentation and level of apparent cosmetic care does not warrant such. Having said that, if an HOSS M6 'vert is your dream car then you might not get another chance at one, so that would have to be considered when deciding on your personal top dollar offer.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:43 AM
Sex On Wheels

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

https://springfieldil.craigslist.org...518757308.html

$12,500
Old 04-02-2018, 08:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

^^^ Thanks! I guess the OP didn't buy it. That's a chunk of change the seller is asking. You know the car needs more. It may be 'for sale' for quite some time. The car would have to be excellent to get that kind of $$ and I doubt it with those miles and seeing the photos. The rare factor can only do so much for a sale. The car still has to be nice or you will have way too much money into it. The same holds true for any 'collector or anniversary' edition. High miles and less than excellent condition negates rarity value. Usually only pristine garage kept one or two owner, ultra low mileage cars get the top $$$.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:41 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All very true statements. I had seen this particular HOSS for sale for a while and was tracking it. Just for reference, I can throw some numbers out here.

I bought my first HOSS 6-speed hardtop, medium gray leather interior with only 41k miles for $14,500 back in 2014. I added another HOSS auto t-top, cloth interior with 54k miles (damage to front bumper, passenger rocker panel, missing fog lights, and a few other miscellaneous defects) to the collection for $7,500. That's right. $7,500. Steal of the century if you ask me. But I parted ways with it just recently for $11,700 (split profits with my friend...long story short...We bought it to flip and I eventually couldn't resist the urge to keep it...So I did...until I found a unicorn HOSS in January 2018). Great car and worth every penny of $11,700. Sure, it needed some work but for only having 56k miles and in near perfect condition minus the above flaws, it was a great car for a great price and went to a great enthusiast.

Anywho...back to my third HOSS purchase. HOSS 6-speed t-top, white leather interior with only 19k miles for only $16,500 (literally stole it). These cars definitely hold their value. I have seen 3 HOSS Camaros with white leather listed/sell for $20k+. They also sat on the market for a little while. The range in prices definitely fluctuates but every now and then you get lucky. If you have the patience to wait for the right deal to come along, they are still out there. On the flipside, the car is worth what you are willing to pay for it. They aren't making any new 98-02 Camaros so the ones that are out there in great shape are definitely becoming true survivors! Hope this helps. I know I enjoy my current two HOSSs! Good luck!

Old 04-04-2018, 02:47 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,460 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by camd98z
I added another HOSS auto t-top, cloth interior with 54k miles (damage to front bumper, passenger rocker panel, missing fog lights, and a few other miscellaneous defects) to the collection for $7,500. That's right. $7,500. Steal of the century if you ask me. But I parted ways with it just recently for $11,700 (split profits with my friend...long story short...We bought it to flip and I eventually couldn't resist the urge to keep it...So I did...until I found a unicorn HOSS in January 2018). Great car and worth every penny of $11,700. Sure, it needed some work but for only having 56k miles and in near perfect condition minus the above flaws, it was a great car for a great price and went to a great enthusiast.
Sounds like this car was pretty rough for having only 56k miles. That's a lot of damage for a limited use vehicle, and being "near perfect" otherwise still wouldn't negate all those issues to me. $7500 doesn't necessarily seem outrageously cheap based on that description, though it's hard to tell without knowing how bad the damage actually was. However, I'm shocked that an auto/cloth example would bring nearly $12k in resale with that mileage and condition (unless you fixed the worst of those issues). I think you made out great on the sale of that one, right place/right time buyer for sure.

Originally Posted by camd98z
Anywho...back to my third HOSS purchase. HOSS 6-speed t-top, white leather interior with only 19k miles for only $16,500 (literally stole it). These cars definitely hold their value. I have seen 3 HOSS Camaros with white leather listed/sell for $20k+. They also sat on the market for a little while. The range in prices definitely fluctuates but every now and then you get lucky.
That's a good buy, but I wouldn't consider it theft. It's difficult to get at or above the $20k mark with an LS1 Camaro that has 5-digit mileage. The HO cars really only have the color going for them, otherwise most folks looking to spend big (relative to the platform) money would rather have an '01/'02, 345hp package and/or LE-SS. There is certainly value in the color, but just how much will depend on who's in the market at the time and how long you're willing to wait for a sale. In the last year, I've seen a few '01+ M6 SS cars with ~10k miles or less list for prices at or below ~$19k and still not sell for quite some time (one was even an '02 345hp/full Y2Y option example with only 4k miles, nicest one I've seen in years, that even a dealer couldn't move quickly at $18.9k.)

Excluding the HO color factor, I couldn't see a 19k mile '99 M6 SS selling for more than $14-15k even if the car was as perfect as any 19k mile car could possibly be (about 12 months back we saw an exceptionally nice and highly detailed red 7k mile '98 SS M6 sell for $14.5k). So you paid roughly a ~$2000 premium for the color IMO (which seems reasonable considering the supply/demand for these cars).
Old 04-08-2018, 08:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 31k mile Hugger SS M6 with White leather.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Excluding the HO color factor, I couldn't see a 19k mile '99 M6 SS selling for more than $14-15k even if the car was as perfect as any 19k mile car could possibly be....
Hey, that's my car. 2 owner - red - 19K mile '99 M6 SS...has cloth seats. Slight upgrade with the factory dual Y pipe exhaust + Auburn. Realistically, I figure its value at $11.5K-$12.5K. Definitely not a $13K+ car any more. Has a few cosmetic warts like probably nearly all garaged, 19K miles car do.

Search this Thread