What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

3rd gen values? worth trading for one?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 08:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Missing some other obvious differences between 3rd and 4th gens....their age. A 1991 3rd gen is 10 yrs older than a 2001 4th gen....lots more time for degradation to occur, even if mostly sitting with low miles. There's also the obvious horse power difference unless you're focusing on a Turbo 3rd gen or some other unique, low production - high hp vehicle. I've always been impressed with the power and handling of the Pontiac Trans AM Turbo cars 1988-1989 iirc. Those are special....very similar to the Buick GN's.

I might pay over $10K for a typical V8 3rd gen. But it better have under 5,000 miles and have a cool color/options package....with everything mint and up to date. There must be some of them out there.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:56 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The more time passes, the harder it is to find a good one. Under 5k miles for ten grand? I'm a buyer if you have such a car for such a price please PM me

To add to that point another common issue again not third gen specific is owners with rotten or junk built 95% done nightmares asking top dollar. On occasion I have managed to purchase one of these over priced cars for a song though, people sometimes get frustrated and will take a low offer especially if it goes away, far away, and is a quiet deal. I've also purchases projects that the owner admitted were beyond their skill set but still wanted to see it built and gave me fantastic terms to make it happen. On deals like that I typically offer first refusal back to the seller but no one has ever stepped up they have moved on psychologically once its gone they seem to prefer watching from the bleachers. In turn I too have also done this, even this year I sold my boost notch project off to a young dude for a song because he had already completed a couple hard effort builds and was sooooo enthusiastic about the car I felt he was the right guy for it. Hope its doing well with it, hes also far away from me.

We cant marry all of em
Old 10-06-2018, 11:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,447 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by cam
We cant marry all of em
Quote for truth. It is nice to keep a harem and sell or trade one of those off on occasion

The point made about folks thinking their rust bucket is treasure is a fantastic point. I know of a 2nd Gen 78 TA, hard top, 4 speed that's been sitting out in the open for near 15 years. The car fades away, the owner gwts it running and then it sits and fades again. He's turned down offers of $10,000+ for the car as is with the rear window area bubbled and rusting. Rust is started else where too. The car can still be saved but it will get harder and harder year by year. There are visions of one day doing a restoration on the car but there is a strong reluctance to commit to a course of action with the 78 TA because that will drain funds from the other cars and projects. Also the hardcore Pontiac friends are all keep it a 400/455 Pontiac engine when in truth I think he has visions to do a turbocharged LS 454 or similar extreme build. So it sits out in the weather 90% of the time...
Old 10-13-2018, 10:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 161 Likes on 131 Posts

i like seeing some of the ads these idiots are posting about their modded cars....

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/...708330569.html

saw another that said highly modded, had some bolt ons and a converter, then said, with a little more work this motor can make 500-700 lol