What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

3rd gen values? worth trading for one?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 07:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 161 Likes on 131 Posts

Default 3rd gen values? worth trading for one?

having a tough time selling my 4th gen cause im probably asking too much but thats beside the point.....i got a trade offer for a black 91 formula 350 car thats in awesome shape.....what are the chances i could get 10,000 out of that car? dont know many details but was curious if its worth the trade for the easier sale without taking a hit.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I hope you're joking...
Old 09-29-2018, 08:11 AM
TECH Junkie

seriously go look at ebay......prices are up there for 3rd gens for some reason.....not just high asking prices......peoplebidding 8-10000 for some
Old 09-29-2018, 08:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that....dosent make them worth it. your asking price depends in how long you care to sit on it. one born every minute.
Old 09-29-2018, 08:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TheUrbz
that....dosent make them worth it. your asking price depends in how long you care to sit on it. one born every minute.
true.....the theory tho was i have 2 identiacal black on black ss cars. one modded the other basically not....im having trouble moving one let alone 2......yes i know asking 9000-10000 is a lot for an fbody, and am avoiding dropping it down anymore than i have to obviously.....figured if i cant move 1 how and i goona move 2? increase my odds by attempting to move 2 totally different cars.

if say he wanted the stock 6 speed car with amazing paint and and an ls6, 133,000 miles, how much on top of this super great shape formula should i ask for you guys to make it seem worth it.....i was thinking maybe 2000? but again, just like me, he thinks his car is worth more than it is actually worth....
Old 09-29-2018, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Floorman279
true.....the theory tho was i have 2 identiacal black on black ss cars. one modded the other basically not....im having trouble moving one let alone 2......yes i know asking 9000-10000 is a lot for an fbody, and am avoiding dropping it down anymore than i have to obviously.....figured if i cant move 1 how and i goona move 2? increase my odds by attempting to move 2 totally different cars.

if say he wanted the stock 6 speed car with amazing paint and and an ls6, 133,000 miles, how much on top of this super great shape formula should i ask for you guys to make it seem worth it.....i was thinking maybe 2000? but again, just like me, he thinks his car is worth more than it is actually worth....
it dosent matter whats been done to them. if you have itemized receipts from a reputable shop then it matters a little. but if its "all work done by me" then what the car has matters not in price. But if its a nice not modded "numbers matching" vehicle, well, sit on it till someone sees the same value in it that you do.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:27 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,740 Likes on 1,247 Posts

Probably not going to hit $10k on that Formula unless it's very low mileage. Here's a '91 Formula 350 I've been watching for much of the summer, it started at $8500 but still can't move at $7k:

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/c...679450170.html

It's a nice looking example @ 85k miles and has all the desirable content. If the one you're considering is comparable to this one, then you'll have to expect a similar value unless there is much higher demand for 3rd gen Formulas in your region. On the other hand, if the one you're considering is MUCH lower mileage, like 50% or less, then you might get near (or even reach) your target number if you advertise it well and wait until the spring (off-season is almost upon us in the north, most shoppers now are looking for pre-winter deals and won't be paying top dollar for anything - unless you happen to find that one "right buyer").
Old 09-29-2018, 11:09 PM
TECH Junkie

i think this one has 110,000 miles.......i may just take the easy way out and no reserve it on ebay an take 75-8000. im tired of having it
Old 09-30-2018, 01:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

seriously go look at ebay......prices are up there for 3rd gens for some reason.....not just high asking prices......peoplebidding 8-10000 for some
If you use eBay as your source of information - get the 3rd gen and tell us how it all worked out for you.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been watching the 3rd gen market for years. If it were a really clean iroc with that mileage you might have a chance. Firebirds just aren't bringing the money. I have an 87 Flame Red GTA 5.7 with 36K miles I couldn't sell for $9000, so I'm holding onto it for a while while the market creeps up. If I had basically the same car, but as an Iroc I wouldn't have much issue getting $13-15k.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 8.Lug

If you use eBay as your source of information - get the 3rd gen and tell us how it all worked out for you.
ebay is a quick way to get an idea of what actually people are willing to bid
Old 09-30-2018, 07:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BullyDawg
I've been watching the 3rd gen market for years. If it were a really clean iroc with that mileage you might have a chance. Firebirds just aren't bringing the money. I have an 87 Flame Red GTA 5.7 with 36K miles I couldn't sell for $9000, so I'm holding onto it for a while while the market creeps up. If I had basically the same car, but as an Iroc I wouldn't have much issue getting $13-15k.
thanks for thew advice
Old 10-01-2018, 07:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,447 Likes on 1,005 Posts

having a tough time selling my 4th gen cause im probably asking too much but thats beside the point.....i got a trade offer for a black 91 formula 350 car thats in awesome shape.....what are the chances i could get 10,000 out of that car? dont know many details but was curious if its worth the trade for the easier sale without taking a hit.
Third Gen's can be wonderful cars, get a lot of attached and are finally starting to come into their own. I've owned three 3rd Gen's sold one this year and still have my white 91 RS that I bought in May of 1990. I've owned at least one 3rd Gen since 1985. The one constant with 3rd Gen fans for the last 20 years is the 99 percent do not have budget to buy a 25+ year old car that's in $10,000 price range or simply won't spend that on a 3rd Gen if they do have the funds.

Some folks love the front end of the 91-92 Firebird, however a lot of people don't like it. It's polarizing. When I look for 3rd Gen Firebirds, I automatically exclude 91-92's . I think this means your potential group of buyers is smaller than for the typical 3rd Gen Firebird. While Formula's are lower production modules than TA's or GTA's or I think the potential group of buyers for a Formula is lower than for a TA or GTA.

In general, L98 350 TPI cars and 305 TPI with 5 speed are the two desirable drive lines. The 305 TPI automatics much less so. If I was trying to flip for profit, I'd only consider L98's and five speeds, and I would verify from the VIN on cowl. A lot of folks think their 305 is a 350 and some will lie
​​​
A couple months ago Hagerty mentioned quotes for 4th Gen's exceed the number of quotes for 2nd Gen's. In essence, I got the impression interest in 4th's Gen's is ahead of the normal curve at the moment. That could change of course.

I think the 4th Gen would potentially be easier to sell.

Of course pictures of the 3rd Gen Formula would help.

FWIW - I've watched nice GTA's sit around for 18 + months trying to sell and they were in the $7500 to $9500 range

Old 10-01-2018, 10:06 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Toys. The magic number is ten grand. Not too many actually sell for more than ten grand third gen, second gen, or even first gen unless restored or kept mint. Third gens have three or four solid advantages over most other chassis and one achilles heal. 1. Lightweight 2. Aerodynamic 3. Good looks, one of the better looking F-bodies built just ask a person who knows nothing about cars to choose which liked best from an OEM built camaro of each generation and most, choose the third gen. 4. Cornering power, these things will RAIL when set up well, minimal mods required too.

The achilles is the Diff, but same goes for fourth gens. Second gens the diff is good but three speed trans only which is impractical nowadays so conversions and driveshaft, tunnel rework etc gets pricey. First gens solid tin and complete non part missing cars are hard to come by unless already restored. Imo fifth gens are the ones to buy right now
Old 10-05-2018, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 3rd gen market has always been a joke. Too many people believe their cars are worth far more than the market will bear. They ask ridiculous prices for cars that are by no means unique or special, sit on them for months or years, and get offended when you make a realistic offer.

Unless it's highly modified or a collector like a Firehawk or TTA, no 3rd gen Trans Am is worth $10K.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:32 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

I agree Marc but I dont think that is third gen specific with regards to people believing their cars are worth far more than the market will bear. Thats more typical than not of most people who own a toy or hobby car. Especially if they have owned it for some time it can be a very painful process to work with these sellers and bring them to a mind set of agreeable terms for sale, so those ones do sit, for some time. Sometimes cars that are worth buying rot away out of stubbornness as a result.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cam
I agree Marc but I dont think that is third gen specific with regards to people believing their cars are worth far more than the market will bear. Thats more typical than not of most people who own a toy or hobby car. Especially if they have owned it for some time it can be a very painful process to work with these sellers and bring them to a mind set of agreeable terms for sale, so those ones do sit, for some time. Sometimes cars that are worth buying rot away out of stubbornness as a result.
Perhaps, but it's been an observation of mine that most people become emotionally attached to these cars more so than many other models of that era. I've had mine for over two decades and I'm NEVER selling it
Old 10-05-2018, 02:21 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
Perhaps, but it's been an observation of mine that most people become emotionally attached to these cars more so than many other models of that era. I've had mine for over two decades and I'm NEVER selling it :lol:
Guilty as charged with the same crime. I've owned a pile of rides over the years and my third gen is staying with me for the entire ride. I love that thing
Old 10-05-2018, 02:50 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,740 Likes on 1,247 Posts

The 3rd gen market has always been a joke. Too many people believe their cars are worth far more than the market will bear. They ask ridiculous prices for cars that are by no means unique or special, sit on them for months or years, and get offended when you make a realistic offer.
This is a recently growing trend with the 4th gens as well, though it seems to be worse in some regions more so than others. Many overpriced examples sitting for months or years now, always with some reference to how "special/rare/unique/valuable" the car is, and comments like "won't last long" (which really becomes comical after the same ad has been reposted for over a year...lol). There are several that I've been watching for quite some time now, just wondering if they will ever sell during my lifetime.

Originally Posted by cam
Sometimes cars that are worth buying rot away out of stubbornness as a result.
Absolutely, and I also agree that this goes well beyond just 3rd or 4th gen F-bodies.
Old 10-05-2018, 03:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,447 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Perhaps, but it's been an observation of mine that most people become emotionally attached to these cars more so than many other models of that era. I've had mine for over two decades and I'm NEVER selling it
I've had my Third Gen 91 RS Camaro for 28 years, 397,500 miles and I'm NEVER selling her! :) Wink
Agreed 100%, my RS got a full restoration.

All the other cars may eventually go 99 TA, 72 Vette, 02 Z28 etc the RS the keeper.

BTW - I sold my other 3rd Gen an IROC clone convertible for $14,000 there is a very very small market for those sorts of cars if you find the right buyer which is rare.