What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

1998 Pontiac Trans Am 63k miles. M6

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 10:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Pontiac Trans Am 63k miles. M6

Hello everyone. I wanted to get everyone’s input before listing my car for sale. I have a 1998 Pontiac trans am that I bought when I graduated high school. I saved up until I could finally afford what was at the time my dream car. Unfortunately I went off to college and never had the opportunity to really enjoy it. I’ve put maybe 500 miles on the car in 4-5 years. In that time I’ve had a lot of maintenance done to the car including a recent clutch replacement about 20 miles ago. The car runs great and is very clean. I need to sell it in order to get another daily driver. My little brother recently got in a car accident in my Honda CR-V so I figure it’s time to get into something nice. The car does have some clear coat fading on the bumper, roof, and spoiler. When the car was towed for the clutch replacement the tow truck driver messed the bumper up a little so it needs paint. The hood is aftermarket and the paint has faded so that needs paint as well. The interior is in great condition. Only flaw is one rip on the driver seat and a cracked dash. Mods include SLP lid, MSD wires, NGK spark plugs and magnaflow exhaust. The car has a clean title and has never been hit. Clean car fax. Car also has T tops. I am posting pictures of the car from when I purchased it. They are not up to date but I can upload more recent photos soon.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 523 Likes on 376 Posts

I have the same miles on my '01 and I hate to say that my one owner beauty isn't worth much at all. With the issues you describe, ask $8,000 and see what someone offers. It's up to you to accept what you can live with. It's a tough time of year to sell with the holidays. Good luck!!.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

One plus in your favor is the M6. Trans Ams with M6s aren't that easy to run across. They made more WS6's and those were cared for. And 1998 is sort of a sleeper year where not as many cars were ordered or survived. M6's bring a $500-$1000 premium over comparable A4's....especially ones that are quiet and shift like butter. Most T56's tend to be a bit noisy/notchy. If you haven't upgraded the transmission, it has the more "fussy" paper lined synchronizer friction rings. There are some synthetic trans fluids that don't play nice with those rings.

The paint and interior issues you mention aren't minor. So that will drive the ultimate price. The majority of 65K mile or less cars I see for sale don't usually have those issues....maybe because the majority of them were garaged most of their lives. What color is the car? That can be another big plus to get it sold. And if an early 1998 build (pre-April/May 1998) your car will not have the style of roof glue prep that will bubble the paint up under summer sun heat....that's a nice plus too considering 95% or more of surviving 1998-2002 TTops and Hard Tops have that issue. I'd include all these factors in your ad if they are pluses. A smooth running drive train in a 65K mile '98 Trans Am M6 is a scarce beast....most went through many owners and were beat upon. And that could trump the cosmetics if the car looks good from 10-20 ft.

Last edited by Firebrian; 12-15-2018 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

You didnt mention that its a WS6 so i assume its just a base 98 TA m6..not super rare but the biggest problem i see is the paint issues. It is not cheap to paint a car, which by the sounds of it, to do it right the whole car will need to be done if you have multiple areas with failing clear coat. Dash pad is an easy fix, and can be found for a few hundred bucks, worn leather is pretty standard given the age of the car so long as its not trashed..but if theres no other mechanical issues then id say its worth in the $6k - $7k range.