What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Inherited 01 Trans Am, HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 06:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inherited 01 Trans Am, HELP!!

Whats up guys/gals! This is a noob post FYI! I recently inherited a 2001 Trans Am with 71k miles on it. This car was owned by my late uncle and was his pride and joy! He purchased it from the original owner and has since bounced around to a couple different states etc. where he titled/registered it therefore it shows more owners on the carfax then actual owners. The car is absolutely “in the wrapper”. The only thing I can fault it for would be a repainted front bumper (damn parking block) and a broken ash tray cover. Before my uncle passed he had the paint ceramic coated. Honestly it’s hard to fault the interior or exterior for anything. The only thing missing from this vehicle is the WS6 package. So I guess what I’m asking from your guys is what is this thing worth on a private party market? I think I want to sell it solely bc I don’t have room for it but I don’t want to be taken advantage of. I’ve done some basic research of “comps” and can’t believe what some are asking. What is your opinion? What should I ask/take. It’s an awesome car and I’d like it to go to a good home. I’ll include a few pics...

Old 02-25-2018, 07:05 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,740 Likes on 1,247 Posts

The car definitely looks nice, but it's not perfect. I see some minor wear on the interior (side bolster inflator area, center console lid) and some blemishes on the front bumper (or perhaps it's just dirt?), plus stuff like somewhat faded blinker lenses and very dirty wheel wells and such. I'm sure there's more in person. Nothing bad, just general wear for a 70k mile car. It's all very consistent with normal usage, and it's not currently in a "show car" state by any means.

Having said that, the interior does look much better than average and the car was obviously cared for. Unfortunately, in terms of value, it has many things working against it. Pewter is not a very desirable color for these cars, nor is the automatic transmission. The WS6 package is highly desirable, so the fact it's without that is significant in terms of value as well. Mileage is low for a 17 year old car in general, but as these are special interest cars it's not rare to see them with this kind of mileage or even significantly less.

Region plays a role in value, and so does presentation. The car could use some detailing to look it's best and draw more interest from higher dollar buyers. Some better pictures would also help build interest. Depending on various details about how the car presents in person, how quickly you want to sell and the market in your area, I could see a sale price in the $8000-9000 range; maybe +/- 500 for local pricing.

Keep in mind that when looking at ads, you'll find a lot of dreamers out there. The super high prices you see are mostly cars that aren't selling and will never sell until the owners accept market reality. If you watch for a while, you can get a pretty good idea of what sort of prices will get a given car to move in your region, vs. the dreamers who are hoping to win the lotto.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:34 PM
Teching In

It’s by no means a show car... and the attached photos are without a wash. The interior of this car is crazy clean for a 01’. Thx for your input!
Old 02-28-2018, 10:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 523 Likes on 376 Posts

It's a shame you don't want to keep it but I totally understand the 'no room' situation. Unfortunately these cars are at or near the bottom of pricing. I find them incredibly undervalued when it comes to decent examples but it is what it is. $10,000 would be a fair asking price and then sell it for whatever you feel comfortable with, whether it be $8k or $9k. The car should sell itself when seen in person but the hard part is always getting someone to come out to see it. GLWS!!
Old 02-28-2018, 05:36 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Just as a point of reference, there was a local '98 Trans Am last year that I watched get sold twice between '16 and '17. It was bright red with an A4, and had 40-43k miles or so. Very nice car, all stock and nice condition. The first seller was a dreamer who had it listed for something like $13.5k for a very long time, then the price finally started coming down until it hit $10.5k I think, after which it finally sold. A while later, I saw the same car pop up again, just a tiny bit more mileage and otherwise in just as nice of condition. Completely different ad and about 30 miles away, different pics and such, but I'm sure it was the same car based on a couple of specific details. This new owner started the listing at $10.5k and had to drop all the way to $8500 before it sold.

Granted, the OP's car is an '01, which is generally more desirable than a '98 (except maybe to those of us concerned with the bubbling roof), but this '98 was a more desirable color and had about 30k less miles, also in great shape. And both are A4s, non-WS6. I would consider them pretty comparable in terms of overall value. The only wild card here is region - I don't know if these cars typically sell for higher or lower in your area, but I doubt it would be a huge difference either way.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:58 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply's and advice guys.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:12 AM
Teching In

I would think bringing $8k to $9k would be a stretch. I am not saying this to be mean, but that interior is not crazy clean for an 01. A lot of people buy and pamper these cars. Almost mint examples are plentiful and yes what some people ask for them is ridiculous.

Wit that being said, these cars are definitely out of what someone is buying for a Daily so having the automatic is less desirable overall. Pewter was also a common color that tends to date the car. SOM, Black, or Red tend to more more timeless.

You can ask $10k, but I think if you really want to move it, ask $9K and be willing to take anything in the $7-$8k range.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:34 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by KyleF
Almost mint examples are plentiful and yes what some people ask for them is ridiculous.
I wouldn't exactly say they are plentiful, unless you're perhaps speaking on a nationwide level. Regionally though, I never see more than a small handful of truly "near mint" examples at one time at most. And I'm in a pretty big marketplace. And, some of that handful are the same cars over and over, because they are overpriced and don't ever sell. Some have honestly been for sale for years; ads going up and down from time to time, same pics and info.

Truly excellent examples haven't been plentiful in my area for quite some time. But, of course, the definition of "excellent/near mint" seems to be pretty subjective based on how some folks here tend to grade their cars.

but I think if you really want to move it, ask $9K and be willing to take anything in the $7-$8k range.
I generally agree with those numbers as an average target for something like this. I think the ~$8k range could be doable, depending on regional pricing and how the car checks out in person.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:29 PM
Teching In

I see sub 20k mile LS cars all the time.

Yes nationally. Somone shopping for an ultra low mile example in the exact color and options they want, won't mind the distance. However, I found 5 under 20k miles wothin 150 miles of me on a quick search on one site (Car Gurus).
Old 03-09-2018, 06:58 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

I see sub 20k mile LS cars all the time.

Yes nationally. Somone shopping for an ultra low mile example in the exact color and options they want, won't mind the distance. However, I found 5 under 20k miles wothin 150 miles of me on a quick search on one site (Car Gurus).
To me, "plentiful" means that there should be no reason to have to search nationally just to find a really nice one (unless you're looking for something extremely rare and specific). That's how it used to be many years ago, but such examples aren't that plentiful at this point - unlike C5s, of which there is much greater local selection in that low mileage category.

Regardless, someone shopping for an ultra low mileage example wouldn't be interested in the OP's car anyway. Two different markets.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:43 PM
Teching In

Whatever. I consider plentiful when i can freely shop around and fi d what I want withing reasonable distance of home.

i know people that travel states away to buy new Corvettes/Camaros/Mustang to get exactly what they want.

I think you have an ego problem wanting to debate over words.

In the end, this Trans Am is boring color with a basic configuration. Whit more desireable options in pristine condition readily available, it is still putting downward pressure on the average mile, average condition, average optioned examples.

150 miles is roughly a 2hr drive. Completely normal for car shopping. Especially if you live in a small town. I live in a reasonably large town and still drove 1.5hrs away to buy my new Challenger because I could get the one I wanted. The dealer 10min from me had 3 Scat Packs, but a short drive when spending a large sum of money on something you will have for years is nothing. This applies to classic/collector/hobbyist cars as well.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:49 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

I think you have an ego problem wanting to debate over words.
Ironic that you would make this claim, but then continue to debate about it yourself. Folks who don't completely agree with your opinion don't necessarily have a problem, nor are they necessarily wrong for disagreeing.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I wouldn't exactly say they are plentiful, unless you're perhaps speaking on a nationwide level. Regionally though, I never see more than a small handful of truly "near mint" examples at one time at most. And I'm in a pretty big marketplace. And, some of that handful are the same cars over and over, because they are overpriced and don't ever sell. Some have honestly been for sale for years; ads going up and down from time to time, same pics and info.

Truly excellent examples haven't been plentiful in my area for quite some time. But, of course, the definition of "excellent/near mint" seems to be pretty subjective based on how some folks here tend to grade their cars.

I generally agree with those numbers as an average target for something like this. I think the ~$8k range could be doable, depending on regional pricing and how the car checks out in person.

Speaking of cars that have been for sale for years, check this out. About 4 or 5 years back I started looking for an Fbody, back in about 2012-2013 I was searching craigslist, auto trader, cars.com, carsforsale.com.....etc..I looked on all the typical web sites, and for 3 years until I found my formula I kept stumbling on the ad for this 2001 trans am..and still to this day I scan web sites just to see what's for sale and this damn car is STILL for sale. So it got me thinking, I want to check out google street view to see if I can find it in the lot...and sure as ****, this car has been for sale for 10+ years going all the way back to August 2007 which is the first street view image..so who knows, could have been for sale for even longer than that. I don't get it, being it's a small chicago used car dealer, don't you think you would just want to move these cars and not have somehting sit on your lot for 10 YEARS? Don't you think your asking price MIGHT be a little high if it takes you that long to sell something? They think they're sitting on a gold mine or some ****, it's a base TA with 69k miles on it, and I'm sure if it's been sitting outside for a decade, the paint has gotta be rough, as well as the interior now.

note the dates here..first is 2017

and 2007!

Old 03-10-2018, 03:24 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by BFK86
Speaking of cars that have been for sale for years, check this out. About 4 or 5 years back I started looking for an Fbody, back in about 2012-2013 I was searching craigslist, auto trader, cars.com, carsforsale.com.....etc..I looked on all the typical web sites, and for 3 years until I found my formula I kept stumbling on the ad for this 2001 trans am..and still to this day I scan web sites just to see what's for sale and this damn car is STILL for sale. So it got me thinking, I want to check out google street view to see if I can find it in the lot...and sure as ****, this car has been for sale for 10+ years going all the way back to August 2007 which is the first street view image..so who knows, could have been for sale for even longer than that. I don't get it, being it's a small chicago used car dealer, don't you think you would just want to move these cars and not have somehting sit on your lot for 10 YEARS? Don't you think your asking price MIGHT be a little high if it takes you that long to sell something? They think they're sitting on a gold mine or some ****, it's a base TA with 69k miles on it, and I'm sure if it's been sitting outside for a decade, the paint has gotta be rough, as well as the interior now.
Wow, that reminds me of those old Mopars that are sitting on the Sherman Dodge lot, at Cicero and Howard in Skokie (not sure if you ever go around that area). There are two Chargers, one is black and looks like a '73, the other is purple and is a '67 I think, these have also been sitting there for years. Outside too. The purple one has probably been there for at least 10 years, I sometimes wonder if they are even for sale. And there's a guy on our local Craigslist that's been trying to sell a 3rd gen Nova like mine since at least 2010 or so; ad goes up and down but the price never changes.

This one going back to 2007 is probably one of the longest sales terms for any 4th gen F-body that I've encountered though. That car was no more than 5 years old when it appeared there, which means someone used it as a true daily driver to pick up all that mileage in that short time. Unless someone at the dealer has been using it as a personal vehicle for the last decade. Why on earth they wouldn't have dropped the price by now is just mind boggling. LOL.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Wow, that reminds me of those old Mopars that are sitting on the Sherman Dodge lot, at Cicero and Howard in Skokie (not sure if you ever go around that area). There are two Chargers, one is black and looks like a '73, the other is purple and is a '67 I think, these have also been sitting there for years. Outside too. The purple one has probably been there for at least 10 years, I sometimes wonder if they are even for sale. And there's a guy on our local Craigslist that's been trying to sell a 3rd gen Nova like mine since at least 2010 or so; ad goes up and down but the price never changes.

This one going back to 2007 is probably one of the longest sales terms for any 4th gen F-body that I've encountered though. That car was no more than 5 years old when it appeared there, which means someone used it as a true daily driver to pick up all that mileage in that short time. Unless someone at the dealer has been using it as a personal vehicle for the last decade. Why on earth they wouldn't have dropped the price by now is just mind boggling. LOL.
Oh yeah i know that dealer, used to pass by there on the way to and from skokie hospital when i worked for Lincolnwood..i remember there being a brown colored early 50s plymouth or dodge id assume, that sat out there for probably 2 years through 2 winters..last time i saw it all the chrome had a layer of rust on it from it sitting so close to the street with all of the salt and snow getting on it..shame.

I was looking at some of the inventory from that other dealer with the TA, there are several cars in all of those google street views from at least 5 years ago that are still for sale, the red cobra and the red convertible fox. And they have a 68 "yenko" nova for sale mislabled as a 69 thats most likely a clone that is listed for $50k! Unreal..the car looks pretty rough..probably another car thats been lot rotting for years.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:01 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Oh yeah i know that dealer, used to pass by there on the way to and from skokie hospital when i worked for Lincolnwood..i remember there being a brown colored early 50s plymouth or dodge id assume, that sat out there for probably 2 years through 2 winters..last time i saw it all the chrome had a layer of rust on it from it sitting so close to the street with all of the salt and snow getting on it..shame.
I remember that one too, I think it was a DeSoto and it ended up at the Siglers on Lincoln Ave as recently as last year. The paint was really rough up close, destroyed by the sun.

I was looking at some of the inventory from that other dealer with the TA, there are several cars in all of those google street views from at least 5 years ago that are still for sale, the red cobra and the red convertible fox. And they have a 68 "yenko" nova for sale mislabled as a 69 thats most likely a clone that is listed for $50k! Unreal..the car looks pretty rough..probably another car thats been lot rotting for years.
Good catch on the Nova. Definitely a '68 both inside and out, and it's certainly not an original "Yenko Deuce" as that package wasn't available until '70, and also wouldn't have come with the claimed "6.7L" 427ci (LOL on the conversion math there). In their defense though, they do have an "8" on the back window. Or maybe that's just the amount of years it's been sitting on their lot?
Old 03-11-2018, 09:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 523 Likes on 376 Posts

You guys are very observant and would make good cops. Anytime you see a business that doesn't change inventory very often, it can possibly mean other things. From a law enforcement standpoint it can send up red flags for sure. On the other hand, it also can simply mean that the business is a hobby only. Many of those exist all over the US. You see some shops in malls that can't possibly sell enough product to even pay for the rent, never mind make a profit to live off. I imagine a few car lots could be the same.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here in FL, that TA would bring 8-9k. Most cars down here are rust free but sunbaked. My 41k mile WS6 has evidence of a very good quality repaint on certain exterior panels, I'm sure due to sun/clearcoat damage. My interior is very clean, but so many are just baked down here.

Its getting hard to find a sub $10k LS1 TA here that's not baked half to death. I paid $10,500 for mine with 39k last August, and felt I got a very good deal...4th gens bring good money down here.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Anybody else think it's kinda f'd up to sell a car you just inherited?
Old 03-14-2018, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Anybody else think it's kinda f'd up to sell a car you just inherited?
yes, but if the OP isn't into cars as members on here are and/or in need of money and/or not into GM/Pontiacs I can see why they may sell it.