What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

4th gen Kooks long tubes

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4th gen Kooks long tubes

Hey guys,

I found a local guy with Kooks longtube headers for sale. They’re for a 98-02 ls1 and are the street model (has air provisions). They have some mild dents o the bottom of the collectors from dragging, but otherwise look to be in good shape.

What do do you think? Worth the buy or would a set of TSP 1 7/8 be the way to go? I don’t need the air provisions so they will be blocked off or removed (if possible).
Old 02-01-2019, 04:45 PM
On The Tree

Old 02-01-2019, 05:01 PM
Teching In

If you can get them for under 350 they might be worth it
Old 02-01-2019, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2kSilverSS
If you can get them for under 350 they might be worth it
Thank you for your response. I’m going to meet with him to see what we can work out on the price.
Hes asking 250. I’ll havw to look them over in person to make sure they’re good to go.

I dont have any any experience with Kooks. From what I read, I have to use Kooks y pipe or true duals, correct? I’ll have to source one, if so. They look to be about 350 for the Offroad y pipe, online.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:16 PM
Teching In

Thats a good price if they are still solid. Yep they are built to use y-pipe or dual setup and these can be quite pricey compared to other brands. You might be able to mix and match but not sure on that.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

Thats a good price if they are still solid. Yep they are built to use y-pipe or dual setup and these can be quite pricey compared to other brands. You might be able to mix and match but not sure on that.
Yeah it seems like he has them priced right. We’re in a rural area so not too many potential buyers.

While were talking, may I ask what would be key points to cover when inspecting these LTs?

Pay attention to any rust/cracks on the pipes, especially the Air provisions? I’m not sure what else to look for on them.

Thanks for for your help.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:37 PM
Teching In

major rust, cracks, pinholes in welds, beatup collectors from bumps, and damaged/warped flanges
Old 02-01-2019, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

major rust, cracks, pinholes in welds, beatup collectors from bumps, and damaged/warped flanges
awesome. Thank you for all your help!
Old 02-01-2019, 07:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,447 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Sounds like $350 is a goid price if the Kook's headers are in good condition.

In the Speed Engineering True Dual exhaust thread in the Gen 3 External Engine section it's mentioned that Kook's headers will match with Speed Engineering duals exhaust or Y pipe with fairly minor tweaks. The Speed Engineering True Dual Rear Exit Exhaust is ~450 dollars and the Y pipe is reasonable price tpp.

​​​​​
Old 02-01-2019, 09:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
Sounds like $350 is a goid price if the Kook's headers are in good condition.

In the Speed Engineering True Dual exhaust thread in the Gen 3 External Engine section it's mentioned that Kook's headers will match with Speed Engineering duals exhaust or Y pipe with fairly minor tweaks. The Speed Engineering True Dual Rear Exit Exhaust is ~450 dollars and the Y pipe is reasonable price tpp.

​​​​​
I’ll definitely check that thread out. Thank you.

I met the seller and looked the headers over. There’s a hole near the manifold on the underside of one of the pipes that looks to be patched fairly well and the previous owner had an exhaust shop weld in a set of 3 inch pipes on to the collectors. Not as pretty as I was expecting but they’re cheap.

I was was debating on having the air fittings removed anyhow so I may have that done since there’s already a patch on one of the pipes.

I picked them them up for $150 so I don’t mind the underside patch and the welded on pipes. I’ll take them to an exhaust shop and see what they can do with them. Either way, I figure it’s worth the risk since I’m only out $150.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:14 PM
Teching In

Good buy and looking out for damage. Id get a speed engineering Y and have exhaust shop and make any adjustments. Unless you were set on true duals of course.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

Good buy and looking out for damage. Id get a speed engineering Y and have exhaust shop and make any adjustments. Unless you were set on true duals of course.
I agree. Those sounds like great ideas. I’ll look into those two options. My car is completely stock, as it is, so I’m looking forward to seeing what a nice exhaust will do for it.

I’m also going to pick up an 02 ss roller for parts in a few days. Some parts are getting hard to find and are rediculous in price, like the upper dash, sun visors, etc. SLP parts are even worse. If your thinking you may need anything for a 4th gen, Id keep an eye out and pick it up pretty soon.

i got lucky and found a new leather wrapped shifter **** with the hurst emblem on it for my car. They’re becoming very scarce so I’m going to put it away.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

You are getting a great deal on those as the cost is $1249.00 New. They also are made from stainless and are the best header you can buy for that car. Do yourself a favor and don't cheap out on the rest of the exhaust. Get the Kooks set up for your car. The fitment is excellent and the performance is better hands down. Keep in mind all Kooks stuff is stainless. You will definitely get what you paid for.